RE: 2006 vrS OWNERS STUTTER - SKODA UK FIX

Skoda tested gaskets of different sizes in response to customer complaints. The 9mm cured the problem but left the car unable to pass the Euro 1V emissions test.14.5mm was the minimum size hole that enabled the car to pass the test,but didn't completely cure the stutter.Suppose it depends how badly your car stutters (they all seem different),if it not badly affected the 14.5mm may well be a fix for you.The ideal situation would be to have two gaskets-drill one to 14.5mm and leave the other at 9mm.Try the 14.5mm first,if it works then fine your car will still be Euro 1V compliant and you've only wasted

Just for those of you thinking of, or about to change the gasket - the two bolts you have to remove need a 6mm allen key. When you take the existing gasket off (large 20mm hole), place it over the 'old version' 9mm one for comparison - the size difference is alarming! No wonder these BLT engines suffer the stutters..

If you do fancy changing the gasket,might have a parts problem - Skoda have changed the part number and i have a horrible feeling the only gaskets available are 22mm.Had a quick trawl thru a VAG parts catalogue (Got to be one in there ?)no joy - all 22mm.Even if you go for the 14.5mm option you still need to start off with the 9mm and drill it out.Any ideas anybody ????

My VRS LTD started as soon as i drove it out at first i thought it was me but after driving it for a week it's having to go in tomorrow. When i explained the problem between 1600 - 1800 rpm the car stutters (with a bit of a bang) she looked daft at me as if they had not seen this before!.

Will it get fixed the first time?

If you do fancy changing the gasket,might have a parts problem - Skoda have changed the part number and i have a horrible feeling the only gaskets available are 22mm.Had a quick trawl thru a VAG parts catalogue (Got to be one in there ?)no joy - all 22mm.Even if you go for the 14.5mm option you still need to start off with the 9mm and drill it out.Any ideas anybody ????
As Seat are a much more customer friendly branch of VAG perhaps they still list the gasket !

Agree with you both. If you go into a dealer armed with the part no. 028 131 547 B (9mm hole gasket), you will invariably be told that it doesn't 'show up' on their system. If you insist, like I did, that the part is fitted as standard on '04 plate vRS's, you may get the help you were looking for - the customer services assistant did a search using the 'older spec' vehicle data and found them.. 9mm gaskets suddenly materialised before my very eyes! I ordered 2 gaskets last week and picked them up - no additional fuss. Don't know if this helps, but the Volkswagen Group, Pick Location for the 9mm gaskets was A8901D01, part no. as stated above.

I know my dealer quite well so it wasn't a problem searching and acquiring the part. Customer friendly branches of VAG make a difference - ;)

As there seems to be some confusion about where the gasket goes I have attached a picture which I hope will help. The TSB states that the gasket should be fitted between the EGR and the Inlet Manifold. This doesn't seem possible to me.

Position 6 has the part number for original gasket - 069 131 547 D. Position 11 has the part number 069 131 547 A. So it looks to me that it would be position 6 but that's only my guess.

14796.attach

As there seems to be some confusion about where the gasket goes I have attached a picture which I hope will help. The TSB states that the gasket should be fitted between the EGR and the Inlet Manifold. This doesn't seem possible to me.

Position 6 has the part number for original gasket - 069 131 547 D. Position 11 has the part number 069 131 547 A. So it looks to me that it would be position 6 but that's only my guess.

Think everyone who's fitted the gasket has fitted it in position 11.Is this wrong ?.The gasket is around 3mm thick and i assumed this is the only place it would fit. Anybody taken off the EGR valve to clean it,how thick was the gasket underneath?

Position 11 is before the cooler and position 6 after. I can't see that it would make a massive difference except for the sizes of the gasket but it is definately unclear in the TSB

I thought is was position 11 myself limiting the exhaust gas entering the EGR system.

Same here - position 11. The gasket is pressed from thin steel sheet (less than 1mm thick). It also has a slight chamfer around the hole opening in its centre - to produce a compression seal once fitted & bolts are tightened.

Hope it is position 11, it's a lot easier to get at !!. Interested to hear from anyone running the 14.5mm gasket - sat on the fence with mine, can't decide if it's bad enough to warrant a gasket change or not, only done 300 miles so far, 350 more planned this weekend.

Like I said earlier IMHO (a guess) and depending on the sizes of the original gaskets I can't see as it would matter a lot - It's simply at either end of a connecting pipe.

If people have been putting them at 11 and it works then that's what I'd do.

There's a 'stutter' issue starting to develop over on the Limited Edition vRS thread. With the amount of debate going on, people are starting to form an opinion on a DIY approach to solving this problem.. With all the scare stories about invalidating warranties - would a DIY 14.5mm EGR gasket install be 'out of the question?'

Dealer opinion and fix's seem a bit 'hit & miss' - after a stutter is reported to them. :confused:

There's a 'stutter' issue starting to develop over on the Limited Edition vRS thread. With the amount of debate going on, people are starting to form an opinion on a DIY approach to solving this problem.. With all the scare stories about invalidating warranties - would a DIY 14.5mm EGR gasket install be 'out of the question?'

Dealer opinion and fix's seem a bit 'hit & miss' - after a stutter is reported to them. :confused:

My VRS Ltd as got this and is back in on Wednesday to have this gasket done, my dealer is fully aware of the issue, So i would just lets your get on with it thats why you buy a new car.

My VRS Ltd as got this and is back in on Wednesday to have this gasket done, my dealer is fully aware of the issue, So i would just lets your get on with it thats why you buy a new car.

Let us all know how the car feels after its had the mod done on wednesday:thumbup:

Last post from me on this subject (hopefully). Just to let everyone know, Standard Fabia VRS, 1,000 miles later after gasket fitted no engine management light & no stutter.

Regards Mouse :thumbup:

Last post from me on this subject (hopefully). Just to let everyone know, Standard Fabia VRS, 1,000 miles later after gasket fitted no engine management light & no stutter.

Regards Mouse :thumbup:

Hi Mouse

But are you going to remap it again and see what happens??

The reason people are adopting the DIY approach is that Skoda cant fix it, they are just going through the motions & can I agree reduce the problem. This problem has been around for a long time. If there was a proper fix it would be done on the production line by now.

Im afraid Skoda have tried to adapt a current model to meet new emission laws & have failed. Its a design fault that they can not get round. In years to come new models will be better as they will be designed from new to the current criteria, not bodged to suit. We all have transition models (ours being a Superb 140) & as such will suffer. Theres a line of thought that the days of Diesels are numbered due to more & more stringent Enviromental regulations.

Moral is but a slightly older car, save money & enjoy the vehicle as they used to be !

The reason people are adopting the DIY approach is that Skoda cant fix it, they are just going through the motions & can I agree reduce the problem. This problem has been around for a long time. If there was a proper fix it would be done on the production line by now.

Im afraid Skoda have tried to adapt a current model to meet new emission laws & have failed. Its a design fault that they can not get round. In years to come new models will be better as they will be designed from new to the current criteria, not bodged to suit. We all have transition models (ours being a Superb 140) & as such will suffer. Theres a line of thought that the days of Diesels are numbered due to more & more stringent Enviromental regulations.

Moral is but a slightly older car, save money & enjoy the vehicle as they used to be !

I agree with you that the fix should be done at the production line but why would you except a brand new car with a defect like this personally if they cant fix it under my rights i will reject the car.

I agree with you that the fix should be done at the production line but why would you except a brand new car with a defect like this personally if they cant fix it under my rights i will reject the car.

Skoda dont class it as a defect, merely a phenomenum created due to the latest emission regulations.

Take advice before rejecting the car. If you intend to reject it you will have to give it back to the dealer. If you carry on driving it you havent rejected it.

The Citizens advice Bereau are a great source of advice on this. The SMMT offer an advice line for disgruntled customers but they are funded by the industry for the industry, say no more !!!!!!!!!!!

Your legal contract is with the Dealer, not Skoda so you will have to aim all your anger at the dealer, Skoda wont care.

If you intend to reject move very very quickly. If the cars on finance you are in a stronger position, if its finance through the dealer its even stronger

Let us all know how the car feels after its had the mod done on wednesday:thumbup:

Got my dates mixed up car actually went in this morning and yes the stutter is no longer, not even the slightest blip, so the fix is get the :thumbup: from me and now i can enjoy my VRS LTD to the full:D .

Just for reference...a friend has just purchased new limited edition vrs with same stutter (Skoda say it's an EU4 compliance issue but not a design fault!).

Geoff ST

PS Apologies if there's already a reference to this elsewhere on the site...came to this forum first and often don't see wood for trees!! (My wife says I'm just thick!)