Last job on list.

Why are you buying wishbones and droplinks? I thought you just needed to replace the console bushes.

The droplinks will be junk and your existing wishbones are fine and those bushes aren't PSB so in a word 'NO' that kit isn't any good.

• 4 months later...

so finally going to do this job ive got the psb bushes etc they come with a small pack of grease now im assuming you dont grease the consoles where the bushes go in so is there somewhere this grease pack is meant to be used ???

• Like 1

so ive stripped the wishbone off etc but i cannot get the console bush to come out im using a proper nielsen removal tool and im literally scared to spanner it any tighter in case the thread strips or it starts bending the frame its connected to surely these bushes should pull loose with that pressure on them ???

Can you apply some heat to soften the plastic?

What will have happened is that water will have got  in between the hole in the aluminium console and the plastic outer, corroding the aluminium which will tighten up on the bush.

Cutting them out with hacksaw is a quick and dirty alternative.

Ok applied some heat and ive got the old bushes out cleaned up the consoles and put in the new bushes fyi both old bushes had splits so good call.

Ok so this is where im stuck I cannot for the life of me get the wishbones to go back in the new bushes they are so tight just cant get them in im stuck atm ???

tbh mate they were a pig just to get in the consoles and they are longer than oem ones so you either have some at front or protruding at back past the edge of the console housing and ive tried the ratchet strap twice i gave up and came in lol.

6 hours ago, Stewartasb said:

so ive stripped the wishbone off etc but i cannot get the console bush to come out im using a proper nielsen removal tool and im literally scared to spanner it any tighter in case the thread strips or it starts bending the frame its connected to surely these bushes should pull loose with that pressure on them ???

I just lit mine with a blowtorch but that's probably not the best of ideas. I fitted the polybushes with some furniture polish for lube, started them in with a press and finished seating them with a slightly comically large nylon mallet. 

24 minutes ago, StevesTruck said:

I just lit mine with a blowtorch but that's probably not the best of ideas. I fitted the polybushes with some furniture polish for lube, started them in with a press and finished seating them with a slightly comically large nylon mallet. 

And were they flush at front but sticking out at back I'm a bit concerned they seem to long but they are the correct ones.

well ive snapped 2 ratchet straps and ruined a rubber mallet still the wishbones wont go into these psb bushes its literally like the bush insert is to tight ive used special silicone spray as well still no go at a loss now.

tried that as well mate still no go the bushes seem to be to tight tbh if i remove the insert i can knock the bush all the way into the console housing but if i try to with the insert in the bush does not even go flush to the console something is just to tight but they are stating these are the correct bushes.

I've no idea about these particular bushes and their location but I've often seen that some poly bushes can be a very tight fit.  Let chemicals and tools take (most of) the strain.  Also check the tools are clean and fully functioning before you use them and lubricated if required.  I learnt this a long time back from borrowing a tool and finding it a struggle to use but because I like to returned things borrowed in at least as good a condition as received but better if possible as a thank-you, when I cleaned and lubricated it before returning it I found how easily it should have operated.

Did you try something like the suggested homemade tool to pull them in?

On 04/04/2022 at 18:35, TMB said:

Went in very easily with a home-made tool.

006.jpg

Sorry, not like me to misread something or misunderstand or be wrong. 🤣

I'll leave the post up just to prove I was once wrong. 😉

I'll leave you to your sweating and swearing.  Good luck.

When I did my bushes I put the Wishbones into the consoles and put that into the subframe, as I built all up on the bench.

The wishbone has a hexagonal shape where it goes into the bush, you need to get it roughly aligned, start pushing it back into the bush 

If you can get it in that far, I'd use a bit of bar, wedge it somewhere to push the wishbone backwards to fit the front of the wishbone into the subframe.

11 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Any corrosion on the 'pin' section of the 'bones?

No mate they are in really good shape tbh the issue seems to be the psb bush is pushing the insert in making it to tight to get the wishbone in and ive had a dremmel wire brush on the console housing they are dead flat and clean.

Pics? (Of the bush/insert/console)

I think the wishbone pin is parallel not tapered?, but maybe worth a measure in case there is a slight taper, and your bushes/inserts are the wrong way round for this?