Doug's Race Blue VRS wagon

Dooge

Small update - ordered some new brake pads front and rear and brake discs front and rear from Autodoc, just over £300 for all which I thought was very good! All for MOT which is due on the 28th, the rear discs were an advisory for being rusty last year.

I went with TRW pads (which I think are OEM) and ATE coated discs. These have a matt silver finish which is corrosion resistant and from what I can see is better than painted equivalents. Although I thought about a black finish I'm sure it'll look naff in no time. The pads are all black with a patterned rubber coating on the back, presumably to stop any squealing or vibrating noises.

Unfortunately I bought a Triplesquare set for the rear as the caliper carrier has to be removed but the bits were too long to undo the top bolt, doh! I did pull all the slider bolts out, clean and regrease which showed that a few needed replacement with rubber bushes breaking and pitting from corrosion.

IMG20240323120452.thumb.jpg.11281b2120b664bd7fe357f008ed3696.jpg

IMG20240323122108.thumb.jpg.e762143602719c08b30c4cc33ba65548.jpg

• Like 2

I then fitted the fronts, which was an easy process overall. I undid the brake fluid reservoir and used a caliper tool to push the piston back in.

IMG_20240325_213459.thumb.jpg.953b5efc150b064229a5dfc0770f402e.jpg

On the drive home, I broke gently for the first 4-5 times then built up to 60-40mph and 70-30mph braking to bed the pads in. They feel sharper than they did before and overly happy with how they feel.

The car is also going on for an Inspection 2 and brake fluid change when it has its MOT. Hopefully they don't fail it on the rear discs.

Bottom ball joints are still on the list, but I have insurance soon and thinking I'm going to be stung more so than other years.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally fitted the rears! Undoing the Triplesquare bolts holding the caliper bracket on was not going to happen without removing the shock absorber, which was easy enough to remove and allowed a decent breaker bar or similar to then fit under the arch and be used without spatial issues. 

It was very easy to replace them both and all fitted very well.

IMG20240414132043.thumb.jpg.ec19da234a9da815273b2aa0ece9a5f1.jpg

• Like 1

I did discover that the dust protector on both sides was trying to masquerade as a collander! I also found out that my shock absorbers are totally knackered, barely returning so they may have to be done sooner rather than later. 

IMG_20240414_205418.thumb.jpg.024d621b36bd09d7b74601f70f3f9ac8.jpg

Posted (edited)

I should add that the car passed its MOT with no issues, and they changed the brake fluid at the same time. They made no mention of anything being problematic from the service either.

I have a few things I want to add onto the existing list:

-Leon Cupra DSG gearknob to replace the flaky chrome one.

-Rear brake dust protectors.

-Kufatec LED adaptors and stock VAG LED interior light units.

-DSG inline thermostat.

-Facelift rear lights and adaptors.

Replace Topmount bolt - Done

Brake fluid change - Done

Front ball joints on both sides.

Shorter bolts for rear ARB droplinks.

Replacement rear ARB droplinks.

Replacement B4 rear shocks.

MK7 GTi rear ARB.

I do feel like I never get to the bottom of the list! Anyone else feeling like cars hitting 100k are just money pits? 😏

IMG_20240414_211801.thumb.jpg.7651bfcaa3e34d51fb80f54fc4a39275.jpg

Edited by Dooge