EVs? No thanks not when.

I can get 357 on a full tank of fuel with 85 still to spare (I wouldn't have had the balls to go lower than 40 miles remaining) yes I'm a chicken in that respect. 

Anyone with a Mk3 petrol RS improve on it?

20220625_124742.jpg

• Haha 1

That was costing you £8.50 or more for every 42 miles though.

If you were paying 35 pence a kWh for electricity then getting 4 miles per kWh then it would be £3.67. 

50 pence a kWh then £5.25

If you were getting electric free you would be £0.00 for 42 miles. 

357 miles divided by 42 = 8.5 gallons, so 38.64 litres @ 167 pence a litre = £64.52  (190 pence a litre x 4.546 = £8.63 x 8.5 = £73.40)

357 mile divided by 4 = 89.25 kWh @ 35 pence a kWh £31.23.       

So sit charging for 90 minutes, or charge while not waiting @ you are £33.29 in your pocket.

Edited by roottoot

Are but EVs have **** range though. I did most of that distance in one go with just two 5 minutes stops.

EVs are incapable of doing that unless you want to >£50k which is outside of my and many other people's price range. And the 8h 55 is a combination of 2 days driving. 

I mean if I'm doing 340 miles in a day I don't want to stop for 30 mins to recharge the stupid car when I can add another 330 or more miles of travel in about 3½ mins to fill up my tank. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Glad you have worked out what works for you.  Time is money to you. 

You obviously are not a business user then that could be saving big style on your tax & running costs / fuel.  

You do not need a £50,000 EV to be able to do 340 miles and maybe charge once on the journey to complete it. 

You have a damn slow average speed. 

8.55 hours.   

I do 450 miles in 12 hours sometimes for £0.00 to charge. 

That is less than 9 hours driving the car is charged for the first 140-150 miles worth, then another couple of charges

& £80 or so not spent. 

If i paid 50 pence a kWh to have to charge for 450 miles that would be £75 and i would not be using an EV either.

Luckily i can charge in areas of Scotland where there are free charging and then put some electric in at supermarkets when not going anyplace.

DSCN1532.JPG

Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 15.37.49.png

Edited by roottoot

But I live in England, I have need or intentions of driving or visiting Scotland. Visited by train which costs me nothing apart from £2 or so on the tube. In fact I can do 997 for that amount 

😁

• Haha 1

Took our EV to London yesterday. 200 mile round trip for £3.33. Would have been about £35 in my VRS. Was it as much fun? No, but it is an incredible utility vehicle. It's saving us a fortune on the school runs!

7 minutes ago, MikeO68 said:

Took our EV to London yesterday. 200 mile round trip for £3.33. Would have been about £35 in my VRS. Was it as much fun? No, but it is an incredible utility vehicle. It's saving us a fortune on the school runs!

Make the kids walk - save even more...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not wishing to be confrontational, just genuinely interested-

What gives EV drivers the right to expect free charging?  Someone is ultimately paying for it.

For example, I was on (volunteer) car park duty at our local theatre which shares a car park with a business premises, the latter having several charging points.   When an audience member EV driver expecting to use one saw the notices on the charging points which said they were only for staff and customers of the business, much verbal abuse ensued, aimed at me!  (OK, I was wearing a hi-vis jacket, but no jobsworth comments, please!)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

What gives EV drivers the right to expect free charging?  Someone is ultimately paying for it.

I certainly don't expect free charging but it's nice when you get it. Aldi near us are very generous with free fast chargers. I got 6kWh yesterday while I did a quick shop. People abuse it inevitably... 

• Like 2

On 25/06/2022 at 14:32, TheWanderer said:

Anyone with a Mk3 petrol RS improve on it?

400+ miles between fillups isn't unusual for mine, longest was 430 miles.

Worse tank was 33.0 mpg, best was 42.2, average is 37.8. Just depends how you drive it :D

• Like 4

all I'll say is I've never seen a plastic compound fuel tank needing to be changed.

But you have an electric car, that battery is going to be unable to hold anywhere near it's advertised range, let alone it's actual one once it starts to age.

Fossil fuel rules, OK!!!

Edited by tunedude
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheeky 1

im sure similar arguments were had back in the day when the first motorcar came along. They were expensive, where would you find fuel, easy to get stranded, you even had to build roads (sound familiar?). Battery storage technology will continue to develop and who knows where it will all end up, but with many countries banning the ICE it looks like EV's are here to stay.

• Like 2

@tunedude 

I think if i went and looked at @TheWandererOctavia to buy and the service and warranty history i might just leave it.

A 2 year extended warranty would be important if a Skoda Dealer sold it as a Skoda Approved Used Car.

Some cars are Friday builds and there are lots of Fridays in the Czech Republic.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/496078-pool-of-fluid

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/497627-oil-sensor-fault-octavia-vrs-2019

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/500371-4-weeks-old-car-and-gearbox-fault

If i was going for 1.4 TSI Twincharger Fabia, Polo, Ibiza or A1 it would be a total lottery as with many 1.8 / 2.0 TSI  / TSFI Euro 5 VW Group vehicles. 

Early EV's from over a decade ago are managing to not have had much degradation so i think this myth you seem to have sucked up needs a bit of thought. 

We can see now how 5-7 year old batteries are doing and we will see how then 3 year old ones are now as their leases are up and they are tested before resale. 

How batteries are charged is what affects their health over time and more know know not to fill them every time if you do not need the full range but even that is not reducing battery life with many cars.

There is a trend with Plug in Hybrids that they are getting charged fully when plugged in, time will tell how they last. 

One of the smallest battery EV's and the most efficient and now in demand used as people realise how good these actually were.

Edited by roottoot

I'm sorry but EV's have a hell of a long way to go before they can be considered a fuel for everyone.

A colleague of mine uses the salary sacrifice car scheme because it just means he doesn't have to worry about a lot of car related stuff. A several years ago, the lease company starting leasing EV or hybrid vehicles. He got a Hyundai Kona EV version and thinks it's great. He tootles to and from the shops, the occasional journey into the city, but nowhere too far...........that is until him and his missus went to Edinburgh on a holiday. Now even in a petrol VRS, you're getting there to and back in one day and on a single tank of fuel (from where I live in Liverpool at least). In his EV, oh no. They had to have there and back, a stop over in the Lake district to charge up because, and in his own words, 'we can't guarantee we'll be able to find a proper charger which could charge the car up in a time to get us there at a reasonable time of the day'.

And I love the argument about 'oh it's how you charge the battery'. No, I'm sorry, that's a cop out from manufacturers of the cars and cells. That's one hell of a 'covering their backside' act. 

I've been in recent months on a couple of touring holidays with my car and motorbike in the trailer, and at no point have I ever thought to myself 'I wonder if I've the range to get to where I'm going next', because I ever were to doubt myself, there is never a petrol station too far away.

Yes, with all the crud in the car and trailer, the MPG dropped from what it normally would be, but it wasn't a huge drop. Now, if you watch the video below, you'll see a lot of the problems EVs have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They will never be the fuel for everyone.  But if you are middle aged you can probably carry on driving cars already built now or on the next 8 years for the rest of your life or driving life.     Ps. No point watching a blogger / blogger on a track.  Watch those like the one posting trips with his caravan from the Scottish island in his KIA EV6.   Or speak to ones like I do towing vans in Scotland with Tesla's.    Pathetic range, and pita getting the car charged with van unhitched.   It takes all sorts though.  

@tunedude This BRISKODA member is a bit better clued up than your neighbour it seems or luckier and pays for the charge when needed and maybe helped by the cheaper rate that came with the card you got with the Enyaq. 

There is no doubt travelling by EV takes more thought /planning, but for a business users the financial saving can be high.

I have met recently long distance travellers going back to ICE vehicles.

I do not use my EV with a small range if in a hurry / emergency like a family crisis where i have no time to mess about saving money i just splash the cash on petrol,

& then i have my 26 mpg diesel for towing. 

Edited by roottoot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, roottoot said:

They will never be the fuel for everyone.  But if you are middle aged you can probably carry on driving cars already built now or on the next 8 years for the rest of your life or driving life. 

I've just reached UK pension age so probably older than middle aged, however I don't expect my car (new in 2020) to be the last car I will ever drive so I fully expect I will be driving an EV later in my driving life. I hope that by then the public charger availability and hogging issues discussed on here will be a thing of the past.

• Like 3

When they can do a decent performance car, with at least a 350-375 mile range on a full charge (and I mean a FULL charge, NOT 80%) at a reasonable price for pcp or lease, I might be interested. 

But with ridiculous prices for poorly specified cars, compared to ICE vehicles the EVs can stay on the showroom forecourt. 

• Like 1

We will see you many TDI,s will be needing DPF replaced or new SCR systems in the next decade.  How many water pumps they had by  the time over 100,000 miles. The original and maybe on the 2nd replacement.   Maybe in the next couple of years we will hear of the TSI,s getting the original GPF replaced.  

Edited by roottoot

@TheWanderer. Are you still using super unleaded and fuel additives?   Do you do many miles or these longer trips, and do you actually leave the UK where there are speed limits higher than 70 mph?     I do pity the next owner of your car but then there are plenty out there that have not required so many dealership visits.  Maybe yours is finally shorted now that it is out of manufacturers warranty. 

Edited by roottoot

3 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

When they can do a decent performance car, with at least a 350-375 mile range on a full charge (and I mean a FULL charge, NOT 80%) at a reasonable price for pcp or lease, I might be interested. 

But with ridiculous prices for poorly specified cars, compared to ICE vehicles the EVs can stay on the showroom forecourt. 

This is the thing. Why manufacturers blag their ranges and quote 'oh it charges up to 85% in 30 minutes from 20%'. No, I don't want that. I want to know how long it will take from dead using the worst possible charger and what the range is likely to be in realistic driving conditions. I appreciate the old NEDC mpg values were a little optimistic, but you could at least use the lower figure given as a benchmark.

Oh, and just in case anyone comes up with the 'it's better for the environment cobblers, don't forget the vast majority of power stations are fossil fuelled and the amount of energy which is required for the processing of lithium for the batteries.

The average motorist doesn't give a thruppenny bit about all what we're talking. They just want a car to go to work, pick the kids up in and go the shops. But in years to come, unless this country doesn't really start to improve the electricity grid, and improve the existing cabling and add charging points here, there and everywhere, there will be one hell of an issue.

Which brings me on to another point. Not everyone has the potential for easy access to a charger at home. I've worked in London and there wouldn't be a cat in hell's chance to have chargers for all the cars for people living in flats, tenement blocks and houses converted to flats. There would be cables across pavements on terraced streets, people tripping over, people robbing your cable and you coming out in the morning finding your car dead and the other person has gone on their way. You would have to hope you could charge at work.

The list of realistic drawbacks goes on and on. We just need to develop and strengthen the biofuel production and use that to fuel our vehicles.

2040 for the European ban of ICE sales? Pull the other one!!

• Like 2

I could park my car outside the garage of my house IF I don't mind it being coated with bird poo everyday as it's under trees, two of which aren't in a healthy condition. 

So that's not happening, also the garage only has a light power connection to the house and the large amount of work to provide a good strong 3ph connection from it to a grade II listed building is going to be hideously if not prohibitively expensive to do for a 15m cable run under paving and avoiding soakaways and sewage pipes. 

Been told it would be in the range of £5k to have done. So it's not happening. 

My car is 99% of the time parked on a grass verge at the top of a housing estate about 25m away from home. So no power connection there either, nor are there any at Guildford Station or depot car park facility either, so again it's not happening.  

Like I said give me a car with decent performance a range of 350-375 miles, fully charges up in 5 minutes and at a reasonable price and has a good spec like my Octavia and I'll have it. 

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1