DCC Slider adjustment option mod

Just thought I'd give a brief update.

Whilst very happy with the ride quality following the mod, I thought it might be beneficial to conduct a DCC calibration given the car now uses a new dataset in the DCC module. Used a hoist today to do that using VCDS. Result is it feels like the increased firmness has calmed slightly and the compression damping over small bumps is now smoothed giving a slightly less busy ride in all modes. The overall feeling of the three traditional settings is still slightly firmer and much more composed with the bounding, floaty couch feeling of Comfort mode now very much tidied up. After a speed bump at 20kmh in comfort there is no more oscillation after the bump has passed. Sport ++ has smoothed slightly and is exactly what i was hoping for. I will no longer be looking for firmer stock springs after this.

Even if you don't care for the 15 levels of adjustment, my experience is that updating the dataset to the 2020+ Passat data has fixed the floaty oscillation in comfort and normal modes. 

I'd strongly recommend doing the DCC calibration after this mod. Even if this is just my own anecdotal experience. It's easy to do and in my opinion quite beneficial.

DCC calibration procedure using VCDS:

• Adaptation (basic settings) should be the same process on any car.
  • Vehicle on jacks or hoist with full droop (all four wheels hanging),
  • Module 14 Damping Electronics... Security Access 20103 (not required for my case, VCDS had already input code).
  • Go into Basic Settings and
  • Select the calibration from the dropdown menu and press Go.

It will only run if the level sensors are in the proper range. The field should say "Completed Successfully" or something similar and that's it. It essentially zero's the suspension like when you zero a scale and it took literally 1 second to complete on my car.

NOTE: Your car may drop down to the ground and look like it's now an SUV. The DCC valves will be fully closed and may hold the car up very high. This was quite shocking and I initially thought, %$^& what have i done! Don't worry about that, the car returns to normal height as soon as you put it into gear and roll away.

• Like 4

@Frankenfurter +1 for the DCC recalibration as it makes a difference to how float/bouncy the car rides.

i didn't know about this recalibration before and only did it 6 months after i had my car lowered on Eibach Pro-kit springs.

it rides much much better now.

i used OBDEleven to perform mine.

i highly recommend any one with DCC and has changed their springs to perform the DCC recalibration procedure.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Awesam said:

Great!  Let me know how much and if I need to buy the BCM.

If you want to drop me a message we can work something out. But you shouldn’t need a bcm. Depending on year you may need a gateway but everything else is software based. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Awesam said:

The issue is no one in the UK is doing this mod yet! There has been quite done in Australia though. 

I’ve got all my dcc parts, once it’s been done on my own car and all kinks ironed out, I’ll be offering it. Probably won’t be for 6 months though sorry

• Like 1

On 20/09/2022 at 11:33, Frankenfurter said:

Ok, with some serious help it's been done!

/cdn-cgi/mirage/5a3f529fe8279ffd15569065914dd38af012933e1b503cecab634495cc810fe7/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_09/image.png.aa241981bd265c3dd7622ef33d23696c.png

Here is the overall sequence of events that was encountered and followed:

• Original gateway was 5Q0. Most examples seem to use the 3Q0 gateway so I went and got one to follow the same path.
  • Swapped to 3Q0907530C gateway with software 4287.
  • Removed Component Protection and restored FEC using ODIS online.
  • Upgraded gateway software to 3Q0907530AC sw 4388 with ODIS Engineering.
  • Applied dataset 3Q0907530AC_Superb_3.xml
  • Extracted data from the XML file and modified to add 15 increment slider using the 'Full Example for DCC Index C with slider' on the GitHub page using the addresses given in the drive2 link and pulling the hex values from the GitHub example.
  • Note that the data for 'remember after reset' doesn't line up with the drive2 example (nor does the slider example, but this is more obvious from the github example as the data is just 0-15) so I copied the values from the GitHub example manually from 0x2E0-0x2EF.
  • Applied modified FPA data using ODIS Engineering.
  • Flashed DCC controller to 5Q0907376C and applied Passat dataset.
One unexpected benefit has been that Normal and Comfort setting ranges are no longer as bouncy/floaty over bumps and dips.
The difference is substantial and while I haven't recalibrated the DCC yet (new front struts going in next week) the overall feel is more planted and overall firmer. The Sport++ level feels like coilover damping with the compression and rebound damping turned up very stiff. My happy place seems to be as per the photo at the moment but will likely change after new front struts and recalibration next week. This should be taken in the context of the Superb, which has quite floaty and soft DCC settings in Comfort and even Normal.

Do you have a copy of your modified xml dataset?

I wanted to compare to mine, not sure if im gonna go down the stock dataset then modified.

or the publicly available dataset then modified

On 11/12/2022 at 05:30, ApertureS said:

I’ve got all my dcc parts, once it’s been done on my own car and all kinks ironed out, I’ll be offering it. Probably won’t be for 6 months though sorry

No problem! Happy to wait- suspect this mod will be incredible! 

On 11/12/2022 at 05:30, ApertureS said:

Perfect AS; I look forward to meeting up when you’ve cracked it matey! 👍🏻

I'd also be keen to get this mod along with a camera retrofit once it has been cracked Elliot. I'm in Cornwall but my wifes Aunt lives in Brookmans park so we are often up that way. 

One question...does anyone know if it would likely work with the earlier MIB2 screen in my 2017 SEL?

• 1 month later...
On 19/12/2022 at 04:35, MarkyTDI said:

One question...does anyone know if it would likely work with the earlier MIB2 screen in my 2017 SEL?

It doesn't matter wat MIB version u have as it also works with MIB2 units.

Provided u have the right Gateway and DCC HW modules, which mine already had.  Just needed updated SW version.

I have an MY17 and I got the DCC Slider mod last Friday - everything works.

The new DCC parameters r simply brilliant.

The car has transformed. It feels more composed.

It has completely eliminated the remaining bounce effect.

Suppa duppa pleased with it 👍🏽

Forget getting aftermarket dampers - get this mod!

I had already done the DCC recalibration a while ago so there was no need to re-do that again.

1674776560426.thumb.jpg.d7acb1a5596c107958d57ae9357206d3.jpg

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 2

A few days after getting the DCC Slider mod done, i was wondering why the Steering felt "different", e.g. in Normal mode, the steering weight was slightly heavier/firmer.

In Comfort mode, it felt less disconnected and more like Normal.

Thanks to @varooom sharing a link about the technical workings of the DCC system - it shows the power steering module is part of this system too, as it interacts with the DCC module.

Hence it seems the new DCC parameters/algorithm better mapping has also improved the steering weight/feel.

An added bonus I wasn't expecting with this mod.

509284723_Screenshot_20230130-2053212.thumb.png.ccddcb680c235e16f556204e1c9ded0c.png

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, JR RS said:

A few days after getting the DCC Slider mod done, i was wondering why the Steering felt "different", e.g. in Normal mode, the steering weight was slightly heavier/firmer.

In Comfort mode, it felt less disconnected and more like Normal.

Thanks to @varooom sharing a link about the technical workings of the DCC system - it shows the power steering module is part of this system too, as it interacts with the DCC module.

Hence it seems the new DCC parameters/algorithm better mapping has also improved the steering weight/feel.

An added bonus I wasn't expecting with this mod.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/e4d1c5cebb01a252f13292df2655b5eb9f5828868ae25e31009a56fddc688283/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_01/509284723_Screenshot_20230130-2053212.thumb.png.ccddcb680c235e16f556204e1c9ded0c.png

To me that sounds more like an unintentional side effect of the dataset used.

To do this mod properly you should be taking your cars dataset and modifying it, but instead it seems that people are just taking a generic dataset and uploading it which means it might not be the exact one for their car and other things may change also.

that’s just my theory on it, was your own dataset modified or was it just one found online that was uploaded?

2 hours ago, ApertureS said:

To me that sounds more like an unintentional side effect of the dataset used.

To do this mod properly you should be taking your cars dataset and modifying it, but instead it seems that people are just taking a generic dataset and uploading it which means it might not be the exact one for their car and other things may change also.

that’s just my theory on it, was your own dataset modified or was it just one found online that was uploaded?

No, it's not unintentional - it makes total sense now that I've read the SSP on DCC.

The algorithm influences the shocks behavior and the power steering responsiveness.

The parameter dataset is not "generic".  It is the same dataset used by the Arteon and Passat B8.

They come from factory with the DCC parameter dataset.

Pretty sure "other things" won't b changed, or have unintentional behaviors.

Edited by JR RS

1 hour ago, JR RS said:

No, it's not unintentional - it makes total sense now that I've read the SSP on DCC.

The algorithm influences the shocks behavior and the power steering responsiveness.

The parameter dataset is not "generic".  It is the same dataset used by the Arteon and Passat B8.

They come from factory with the DCC parameter dataset.

Pretty sure "other things" won't b changed, or have unintentional behaviors.

It is somewhat generic and that’s where my issue lies with how people are doing this mod.

the gateway dataset contains huge amount of details specific to certain cars so the correct way of doing it is to download the correct dataset using odis, modify it, then reupload.

whereas a lot of people are just taking this dataset and putting it on their car, and if it’s an auto/manual, different engine setup, 2nd/4wd, different current consumers will all have an impact on the dataset that should be used.

im not saying you will have issues as not everyone will, it could match up with your car, but for some they will have issues like the mode select screen showing features they don’t have for example.

• Like 1