Remap thoughts please?

Snowr0

Love the car, economy acceptable, but considering a remap to hopefully reap benefits.

2016 190 TDI 4x4 DSG.

Occasionally towing a caravan and once a week 80 mile round trip commute.

Only concerns at present - cant help but feel that pick-up pulling away at junctions is a tad slow.

So, considering remap by ACE Remaps of Shrewsbury.

Recommended upgrade would be:-

- Standard Power: 190 BHP 
- Standard Torque: 400 Nm

Remap Improvements:

↑ Power: Max 230 BHP
↑ Torque: Max 470 Nm 

Not after speed, just more torques for towing and better pick-up speed and improved economy in day to day use.

Anyone had similar done? If so was it worth it? Is the DSG up to the extra power? Any concerns?

Comments appreciated.

T i a 

Snowy.

Pedal box would also help with the pick-up. DSG should be fine as long as you don't give it too much in high gears. If you have paddles on the steering wheel just drop it down a gear when wanting more go to minimise the load on the clutches.

6 hours ago, Snowr0 said:

Only concerns at present - cant help but feel that pick-up pulling away at junctions is a tad slow.

Then it's a pedal box you need. Completely transforms the pedal response.

DSG will be fine.  I got my 2011 VW CC 2.0 TDi 170 BHP (same DSG) remapped approx. 6 years ago and it has never missed a beat.  I also got my 2017 Suberb 2.0 TDi 190 BHP remapped approx. 16 months ago and it's never missed a beat either.  One thing that might be impacted over time depending on the mileage of your car is the Dual Mass Flywheel.  I've had to change the DMF on both cars.  That said, both have over 200k miles on them and still going strong.

If you do go for the remap also look into a DSG remap.  As well as making the gear changes faster it also raises the torque limit in the DSG to take full advantage of the engine remap.  As standard I think the DSG is restricted to handling 400Nm.  I've also had this done on both cars with no issue.  Note: If getting this down the remapper needs a special cable to connect straight to the DSG controller.  It is not remapped through the ODBII port like the engine is.

No problem with the DSG handling the extra torque as VW use the same DSG in more powerful cars.  

• Like 1

On 23/09/2022 at 21:58, roottoot said:

Dropping a gear or 2 and booting it is exactly when you are putting a load on the clutches. You are getting max torque at the right rpm.

In a higher gear is not hard on a DSG.

The effective leverage in high gears puts more load on the clutches. If you drop a gear then that leverage is reduced putting less load through the box. Also the same force output from the power source in a lower gear will give you more go.

• Confused 1

@MarkyG82Do you shift up to a higher gear to get the best performance when doing spirited / sporting driving or do you hold the gears longer?

If you drop a gear rolling along singing a song, decelerating etc.

If you want to boot your Remapped engine and want to get that power  / torque you paid for are you going to go up a gear or down a gear to a lower gear to get a shift on,

hit the sweet spot in the RPM, get the most go go to get that whatever off your tail?   (Not the caravan.)

Edited by roottoot
  • Confused 1

Of course you drop down. 

Maybe a better example to get my point across (although it maybe sounds like we are arguing the same point): if you are traveling at 50mph in top gear and put your foot down, the load (on the clutch) would be much higher than if you drop a gear or 2 for the same performance.

It could. It might, it can.

You could put in D and it will go through the gears, up and down, maybe stay in top if you floor the accelerator in top 6th if and old box or 7th, or maybe drop a gear or 1 or 2 or 3.

Put in S and it will hold the gears longer but do the auto thing..

You might decide to manually change gear because it is a Semi-Automatic and it might decide to ignore you at times if you go to low with your gear choice. 

On 23/09/2022 at 19:18, Snowr0 said:

Love the car, economy acceptable, but considering a remap to hopefully reap benefits.

2016 190 TDI 4x4 DSG.

Occasionally towing a caravan and once a week 80 mile round trip commute.

So, considering remap by ACE Remaps of Shrewsbury.

Recommended upgrade would be:-

- Standard Power: 190 BHP 
- Standard Torque: 400 Nm

Remap Improvements:

↑ Power: Max 230 BHP
↑ Torque: Max 470 Nm 

Not after speed, just more torques for towing and better pick-up speed and improved economy in day to day use.

Anyone had similar done? If so was it worth it? Is the DSG up to the extra power? Any concerns?

Comments appreciated.

T i a 

Snowy.

Have a look at Steinbauer tuning, this is a plug and play adaptation and should give you the figures you are looking for.

Deed is done!

ACE Car Care Remap (Shrewsbury) performed, 190 to 230bhp and 400 to 470nm torques, DSG tune also.

Taking it easy so far but gear transition appears so much better!

Advised insurance of update, £28 charge including admin fee! Very fair me thinks!

Evaluation time!

Tried plug and play options on Golf and Freelander previously, worked but always doubtful after suspect injector issues, hence why trying remap path.

Waiting for a good dry twisty "A" road and towing the caravan to evaluate!

Edited by Snowr0
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

remap removed!

Top service from ACE of Shrewsbury, they did try to get the map to suit my needs by tweaking, but after towing the van and a few EMS alerts (all reset but intermittently recurring) decided to revert to standard, that ACE did and gave full refund!

So, looking to try a pedal box now, as suggested, to overcome sluggish pull off's, issue is which one, DT or XLR?

Does the phone app give any real value?

Any update appreciated!

Edited by Snowr0
typo

Based upon recommending what you own, XLR. Superb piece of kit. Mine doesn't have the phone app but it really is set and forget once you've settled on the setting that works best for you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...