Amundsen Mib2 Map Updates 2023/2024

5 minutes ago, Predatora said:

2. bought new SDHC class 10 - 32 GB
but .. nothing happens  

... because the SD card needs to be a Skoda (or VW) branded one not a generic one as the Amundsen checks the card CID.

The cards are easily available on eBay (other auction sites are available) for much less than a dealer will charge - I recently got a genuine Skoda 32GB SD card for GBP26.09

16 minutes ago, Predatora said:

Ok,  I have the original one from the car , it is Skoda branded and is 16 GB , So i can delete the files from there and to add the new one . right ? without formating.

Yes with a 16gb original map card pick a zone from above to fit on. If you want all of Europe buy a 32gb VAG card from an e seller. Decent one based on reviews. As said the mib2 standard uses a special navigation card that is identified by the CID. All of the VAG branded cards VW, Skoda and Seat are interchangeable.

You can be enterprising and write the CID yourself but works out more expensive since the cards with writeable CIDs are more expensive and you need to use a special program for that, have the SD writer on the motherboard and be running Linux or associated software. Did it once for the hell of it.

Followed this and a tutorial on making my laptop bootable to Linux.

https://richard.burtons.org/2016/07/01/changing-the-cid-on-an-sd-card/

The cards cost you twice as much than a VAG branded card... but educational thou. You clone your existing card.

How I got three maps cards, the Seat 16gb, Skoda 32gb and a Samsung Evo 32gb. There might by Chinese clones coming in now which is why you need to be careful with esellers.

Original question. Just delete what is on it, don't format since that's been known to mess the card up then copy one on MartiniBs post 1 zones on it. You are then bang up to date.

Edited by Tell

On 21/11/2022 at 13:05, BionicJohn said:

Thank you   When I get home next week, I try that.

I've arrived home!

I've d/l'ed the files from theVW portal:   https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_2010_V17.7z and have expanded the compressed file without issue. 

However, when I compare the files with the old SD Card, there appears to be a file missing - an identification file? - something like 1910_MP213-1247.x_EU-AS.mds.

Is this essential, and where do I find it if it is needed?

Many thanks.

Unzipped.jpg

SDcard.jpg

28 minutes ago, BionicJohn said:

I've arrived home!

I've d/l'ed the files from theVW portal:   https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_2010_V17.7z and have expanded the compressed file without issue. 

However, when I compare the files with the old SD Card, there appears to be a file missing - an identification file? - something like 1910_MP213-1247.x_EU-AS.mds.

Is this essential, and where do I find it if it is needed?

Many thanks.

Unzipped.jpg

SDcard.jpg

Ignore the missing file checksum, it will work without that, and should exist checksums in another file (cannot recall off top of head)

Put it in the car, and use.

• Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep some downloads have them on, others don't. The idea being that the checksum is published differently from the file so the user runs their finger across the md5 file and says yes this file I got on here tallies after working out the md5 of the file. You can generate the md5 yourself and compare. 7zip has a capability of doing that as I recall in a module you off to install or the utility mentioned here. MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility. I use ether.

https://infosecscout.com/generate-md5-file-checksum/

So that's the md5 file v the one computed. Just a simple check but given it comes from VAG it's going to be right.

Non believers don't believe the VW, Skoda and Seat release for the same period are identical. We tell people they are.... The technical check for non believers is to run them through the sla1 check but then they wouldn't know what that is so continue to believe they can't all be the same file 😂.

The firmware is different but the same source code slightly adjusted. Some people manage to get Skoda infotainment firmware on Seats which causes some constellation with those people that play with mib firmware telling people they got the wrong code in the car, but for map files, pois, radio stations etc all interchangeable for mib2.

Errant Seat Cupra moderator here.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, varooom said:

Ignore the missing file checksum, it will work without that, and should exist checksums in another file (cannot recall off top of head)

Put it in the car, and use.

It took a long time "Checking Navigation Data" but it loaded and "Home" is showing correctly.

I'll be testing it live later today.

Many thanks. 👍🏻

• Love it! 1

24 minutes ago, BionicJohn said:

It took a long time "Checking Navigation Data" but it loaded and "Home" is showing correctly.

I'll be testing it live later today.

Many thanks. 👍🏻

It will be fine. The first boot with new maps takes longer since it does some FeC stuff. Always seems to be the case.

You have to re-select your favourite built in Pois like petrol stations and garages etc. Mib2 high units you don't have to.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tell said:

It will be fine. The first boot with new maps takes longer since it does some FeC stuff. Always seems to be the case.

You have to re-select your favourite built in Pois like petrol stations and garages etc. Mib2 high units you don't have to.

Seems fine over a 60 mile route.

Reselected the speed cameras.

Many thanks again.

Well the fun I'm having with updating maps is starting to wane 🙁

After a particularly stupid start yesterday, it became apparent this is the thread for me - ish, and not the Columbus thread as the Golf has a Discover Media2 unit.

I decided to go via the VW website and found an option for 9.33gb V.17 maps (as in a size that'll fit my 16gb VW SD card), which I've downloaded to my MBP, unzipped with Keka (as per VW's recommendation) and then cleaned the VW SD card with CleanMyDrive2 (also per VW's recommendation).  And I can clearly see the folder on the SD card:

1854532786_Screenshot2022-12-06at11_59_39.thumb.jpeg.484bb5572334b55f763d4a2e658e14e9.jpeg 

Put the card in the car and it's not playing:

IMG_5838.thumb.jpeg.21f7bc65e45abf70bbdc9bccd5c91293.jpeg

So I popped into VW.  They told me I could download the AS V.17 maps onto an ordinary SD Card of the right size (I've a 64gb card) and that it doesn't need to be a VW card.  This doesn't appear to be correct. And that seems to be borne out by the VW website, which clearly states it needs to be a VW card for the AS maps.  I went to their parts/accessories counter, and was told that a 32gb card wasn't available for my car, but the latest I could get was V.15, on a 16gb card (like what I already have) with a reference of 5NA 919 866 CA.  This also appears to be incorrect, as the VW website clearly says V.17 is available for my media unit (although I'll need a 32gb card as it looks like the 15.93gb AS maps need 16.1gb of space).  A 16gb card from VW will cost me..... drum roll..... the princely sum of £136.21.

A quick squizz online and it looks like I can get the same card for £45, which is plug and play, and currently sounding very tempting:

IMG_5837.thumb.jpeg.cca62339cbf57ca51f11756658fd1db8.jpeg

But is there something I'm missing or ought to try before embracing F-it mode and buying the 32gb card? and will my unit be able to use a 32gb card if VW are saying the only available card is a 16gb version?

It's the first time I've tried updating maps, so this is all new to me, and I'm currently feeling quite stupid :blush

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
typo

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

I decided to go via the VW website and found an option for 9.33gb V.17 maps (as in a size that'll fit my 16gb VW SD card), which I've downloaded to my MBP, unzipped with Keka (as per VW's recommendation) and then cleaned the VW SD card with CleanMyDrive2 (also per VW's recommendation).  And I can clearly see the folder on the SD card:

1854532786_Screenshot2022-12-06at11_59_39.thumb.jpeg.484bb5572334b55f763d4a2e658e14e9.jpeg 

Pretty sure that folder should be called 'maps' rather than 'maps 2'? At least based on DiscoverMedia2_EU3_2010_V17.7z which I just downloaded to check the structure for you :)

I'd try renaming it and running cleanmydrive again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

Pretty sure that folder should be called 'maps' rather than 'maps 2'?

Bingo!! :dance:

Oh my goodness, it was as simple as that - thank you so much :clap: 

I had a really old file, not even car related, called 'maps', which is why it had defaulted to 'maps 2' once unzipped.

Version 17 maps, and all working tickety boo, on the original 16gb SD card.

Muchas gracias Langers! 👍 😎

Gaz

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

32gb card comes in when you have the need to drive across all zones of Europe. Tootling about in those zones is fine. I do come across people that need the 32gb card since their planned journey doesnt fit in with the zones. As I said yesterday all VAG cards are interchangeable and you can even use them in a mib1 unit if you have the original mib1 maps for that. The CID on the cards which is the security lock works across all VAG units mib1 and mib2 standard units. On esellers you have to make a choice on the user scores they publish etc.

• Thanks 1

Correct that's why you have to buy the 32gb vag brand card if you need all of Europe, a zoned map for the 16gb card.  Skoda gave about three years warning on that, when it happened was about two years ago.

I wouldn't dream of  driving long distances in a Seat Arona but others have the cheaper unit in bigger cars that they would drive the length of Europe. If you are buying a big car you might as well have bought one with a mib2 high in the past. That was not always offered when VAG started to sell their vehicles in packages without options on the infotainment system. The Kodiaq Seat equivalent was only sold in the UK with the standard mib2 high, this thread. Whilst the system does, it's not polished like the mib2 high. Skoda Columbus. Now mib3 is all SSD based although like the mib2 high but has its issues. We are on working legacy systems now that at least work unlike mib3 with it's (many) foibles 😅

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vRSG60 said:

Maybe it's me that can't find it but - shouldn't there be a guide on how to update the maps on the 1st page?

That's the third post which gives you this

Ignore the top stuff on VIN and the Skoda website. That run 6 months late. Use MartiniBs links in original top post.

I also offer the VW Discovery Media PDF attached which is the official VW guidance. All the same file.  Attached. That was written prior to the 16gb region decision. Zones for the original card or buy a VAG map card from an e seller if you want the all Europe map. Note Mac instructions if using a Mac. Don't reformat the card just delete what is on it. Reformatting has led to people killing the card. 4096 is the size if you do and mess that up. Fat32 is the only one that works with this hardware for the mapcard. People get too clever and dig holes for them selves by reformatting the card. You are suppose to use Keka and CleanMyDrive if using a Mac. PC the one mentioned (7zip) but you can use the built in one for W10 / W11. Right click on the file, its under file something or other... you will see it, drag and drop out to a directory then drag and drop to the SD card, faster that way.

Simple.

Discover_Media_MIB_Gen.2_June_2020_EN(1).pdf

Edited by Tell

Great thanks. Rather daunting formatting my SD card, I have done it before but it was a while ago.

It's taking forever to download but nowt I can do about that.

Edited by vRSG60

• 2 weeks later...

I had a lot of free time today, and it happened!
Full map on 16GB card works!
To be honest I had to remove a ton of stuff and it still needs more testing!
If anyone is intresting in testing it alonside me let me know and I can give you a full list of stuff that I think you "don't need" 

• Love it! 2

On 07/12/2022 at 11:13, Tell said:

I wouldn't dream of  driving long distances in a Seat Arona but others have the cheaper unit in bigger cars that they would drive the length of Europe. If you are buying a big car you might as well have bought one with a mib2 high in the past. That was not always offered when VAG started to sell their vehicles in packages without options on the infotainment system. The Kodiaq Seat equivalent was only sold in the UK with the standard mib2 high, this thread. Whilst the system does, it's not polished like the mib2 high. Skoda Columbus. Now mib3 is all SSD based although like the mib2 high but has its issues. We are on working legacy systems now that at least work unlike mib3 with it's (many) foibles 😅

I upgraded to the full European map because it seemed the easiest was to have the UK, Ireland, the IoM, Channel Islands, France, Andorra, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Germany and Belgium on a single card.  Yup, we get around!

• Love it! 1

19 hours ago, SyossuPL said:

I had a lot of free time today, and it happened!
Full map on 16GB card works!
To be honest I had to remove a ton of stuff and it still needs more testing!
If anyone is intresting in testing it alonside me let me know and I can give you a full list of stuff that I think you "don't need" 

I can pass it onto to Seat folk if you like although I do tell them to buy a 32gb VAG card if they want all of Europe on one card.

6 minutes ago, Tell said:

I can pass it onto to Seat folk if you like although I do tell them to buy a 32gb VAG card if they want all of Europe on one card.

32GB is for sure the safe and full way :)
My 16gb version lacks all POI graphics and data as well as anything that is on the side from you trip

• 2 weeks later...

One thing, may be a silly comment but if I buy one of the 32GB cards off EBay will it be compatible with my head unit and can they all be updated with current maps.

5 minutes ago, vRSG60 said:

One thing, may be a silly comment but if I buy one of the 32GB cards off EBay will it be compatible with my head unit and can they all be updated with current maps.

The "Skoda" cards are just an ordinary SD Card, that has a special CID (Card ID) that is also programmed into the head unit, and when the two handshake and match up, it will read any old, current or future map off the card.  This CID is only needed for Amundsen, if you have Columbus, any generic SD Card will work, as the map is copied to internal drive.

If you are in the UK, then you won't need the 32GB card, unless you travel all over Europe a lot, the 16GB card that you hopefully already have, can be loaded with UK/France/Spain, and should suffice for most people.

Edited by varooom
  • Like 1