Would you take a Superb estate over Passat estate if Passat is cheaper?

I cant figure out if I should go for a used 2018+ Superb or Passat, I like the look of the Superb much more.

But due to sheer volume of Passats in Denmark (About 5 times as many passats for sale), they generally cost 260-275k DKK for Highline Premium (Active display and massage seat) while a Superb costs while a Superb Style with no active display (Trim under L&K in Denmark)

Our oldest kid is 2 years old, so the legroom in the back is not super important as we dont plan on having this car for more than 5 years, but cargo space is important, but the difference seems very negligible

Hi Oz, personally, I'd go for the higher spec/lower price Passat.

I would guess that rear seat legroom of the Passat is at least as much as the Octavia, and I'm fine with mine.   

If I were you I'd choose the higher specification Passat especially if it's for the same price or cheaper than the Superb with less specification.

Personally I prefer the look of the Superb pre-2019 facelift and would pick the Passat if I came to your choice. Something about the small LED foglights didn't sit well with me, so it's nice that the Passat has the larger shaped foglights.

I also also add that the more models that are sold there, the more spare parts should be available though touch wood you'd never have to go for any major repairs like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrRich said:

I chose Superb because in UK they were available for similar price with similar mileage and condition but better spec.  If it had been the other way around I would be driving a Passat.

Same thing for me in France.

Additionally, when time to sell your car has come, I don't know about Danish 2nd hand market, but VW have usually a better resale value here.

In my opinion the superb looks nicer and has more room inside.

but then the Passat is higher spec, personally I’d still go for the superb as I think the passat has a very boxy design and it doesn’t look nice.

i can't accept wagons, because their dirt rear window in bad weather and louder road noise from the rear
my choice were Superb Mk3 2016 220ps FWD
and after 7 years/122k Km it will be swapped by Superb Mk3.5 2023 280ps AWD
mostly because huge space in trunk, Superb hatchback's trunk is bigger than most SUVs have,
four full size 225/55r17 rims without landing seats
20221101_Trunk_space_25p.jpg.4ae5a9e29692828513af2fcb15192d13.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

6 hours ago, MartiniB said:

i can't accept wagons, because their dirt rear window in bad weather and louder road noise from the rear
my choice were Superb Mk3 2016 220ps FWD
and after 7 years/122k Km it will be swapped by Superb Mk3.5 2023 280ps AWD
mostly because huge space in trunk, Superb hatchback's trunk is bigger than most SUVs have,
four full size 225/55r17 rims without landing seats
20221101_Trunk_space_25p.jpg.4ae5a9e29692828513af2fcb15192d13.jpg

Did that really all fit in there? I've read that you can can fit bodies in the trunk of the Superb. 🤣 Though for real it's a shame you can't fit a full size spare wheel without cutting up some trim or having the floor lift up.

I’ve had two Passats b5.5, I was looking into getting the B6 and so many issues, so I just stuck with my B5.5 for a while and went for a superb.

Im not sure I’ll go back to a Passat again to be honest.

I see no reason to get rid of my superb for at least another 7 years. By then it’ll all be electric only (new cars), by 2030 petrol/diesel/hybrid will be seen as the anti Christ.

Who knows what my next car will be then but Skoda has my loyalty for now so probably another Skoda.

All my cars so far have been taxi cars Audi A6, VW Passat and Superb. So whatever is used as Taxis in 2030 and German will be what I’ll get most likely haha 

On 29/12/2022 at 17:34, SomethingSuperbly said:

Though for real it's a shame you can't fit a full size spare wheel

full diameter spare wheel fits perfectly, isn't that enough?

diameter comparison to regular 215/55r17 and 225/55r17:
OEM     205/55r16 _ -5.3% _ -6.7%, this huge size difference cancels usage of cruise control

custom 195/65r16_ -1.1% _ -2.6%

custom 205/65r16_ +0.8%   -0.7%

custom 205/60r17   +1.5%    0.0%

20180410_164039_25p.thumb.jpg.85e375e978ca59be8892965870e41b91.jpg

220803_Spare_Wheel_00_50p.thumb.jpg.3ae60f7e37e89d6a53a14ad60c4cb9f8.jpg

Copy-Paste from another tread ->

Pros and Cons have been described already:

a)  same size as all other wheels

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/493502-full-sized-tyre-as-spare/

+ can be installed on any axle
 + can be used for unlimited distances
 + no size diff = no speed limits
 + Cruise control will be available
 - boot floor will be pushed few cm up
 - most expensive

b) custom 205/65r16, full diameter (my choice for 220ps)
-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/442912-full-size-spare-wheel/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-5040470

+ minor width diff will provide safe driving on + 30% of speed printed on spare disc. Important note, when installed on rear axle.
 + can be used for longer distances
 + minor circumference diff will provide ability of Cruise control usage. In theory, i haven't had to test it after OEM 205/55r16 were replaced.
 + fits in it's place, doesn't change size of boot.

- !!! doesn't fit on 272/280ps even on rear axle !!!

c) custom 205/60r17, full diameter (my choice for 280ps)
Pros are equal to b and fits on 272/280ps, which has bigger brake discs, 340/310, while all rest have 310/298 (front/rear)

d) OEM 205/55r16
 + lot wider than 'd' = safer than 'd', but don't think printed speed limit can be exceed more than + 10%, even when installed on rear axle.
 + fits in it's place, doesn't change size of boot
 - huge circumference difference disables usage of Cruise Control

- huge circumference difference isn't healthy for 4x4

e) OEM 125/70r18
 + fits in it's place, doesn't change size of boot
 - huge width difference = absolutely unsafe, even when installed or rear axle.
 - huge circumference difference disables usage of Cruise Control

- huge circumference difference isn't healthy for 4x4

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/494383-can-anyone-with-a-20-tsi-220-factory-spare-wheel-tell-me-the-size/?do=findComment&comment=5550057
-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/493502-full-sized-tyre-as-spare/?do=findComment&comment=5556680

Edited by MartiniB

18 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

full diameter spare wheel fits perfectly, isn't that enough?

It's more the fact that the spare wheel well isn't deep enough/designed to accomodate a full size spare without doing some modifications. I already have the OEM spare wheel, and if it hadn't have come with car I would've gone for the custom 205/65r16, thanks to your work.

The way the new cars are being made, it'll all be glue kits rather than replaceable spare wheels.

• Sad 1

I've had both in hybrid flavour.

They're both the same car in terms of driving dynamics. Some different spring rates don't change much. Turning circle to rival an oil tanker.

Personally think the superb is better looking outside but the Passat has the better interior.

Superb has more legroom and a marginally longer boot. However the boxier shape of the Passat means it's actually a more useful loadspace.

Go for the highest spec / lowest price combo. Avoid a MIB3 equipped car 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I think we will just see if a reasonably priced one comes for sale in a few month, I hope the market is going down some more as prices still seem high since corona. I am just getting tired of throwing repair money after our Octavia MkIII 2013

Not in the proposed options, but what about a VW Arteon Estate?

Not ready to replace my current Mk3 Estate, but probably an option I could study when time has come...

Edited by Bap33

18 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

Not ready to replace my current Mk3 Estate, but probably an option I could study when tie has come...

I saw one of these the other day and it really caught my eye.  Quite Merc looking like.

The arteon is a great looking car. When I ordered the superb I looked at those too.

The only issue is they are quite low spec in the standard trims. Multiple items were optional that came standard on similar Passat and Superb models. When you built one like for like it was significantly more expensive.

So they might not do well in the spec / price comparison 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Not ready to replace my current Mk3 Estate, but probably an option I could study when time has come...

The cheapest one is petrol is 550dkk hybrid 470dkk (Cheapest Passat comfortline premium is 250dkk) so way too expensive

Edited by Mech0z
  • Confused 1

The new Arteon looks great on the outside. The interior you can see the design influences from Passat, however the rear windows only go down half way. Also, it seems like on some review models the rear passengers seats can get heating and a time/outside temperature screen but not available when you try and build your own. Doesn't even seem like you're able to spec electric, heated or ventilated front seats either.