Octavia mk3 buying advice - what to avoid?

Hi All

Thinking about replacing my 2010 Mk2 Octavia Elegance Estate 1.4TSI DSG in the near future (not that I particularly want to). 

The natural choice is the Mk3 Estate 1.4TSI/1.5TSI ACT.

I bought the Mk2 for under £11k at 3 years old with 26k on the clock. I appreciate prices have changed a bit since then but I'm not desperate to empty the silver cabinet on this. The current car is still only at 79k and we only do about 6k a year now.

I am pretty set on sticking with an an Octavia Estate. It has to be DSG. Definitely petrol. Doesn't need to be powerful/sporty. Efficiency is great. I'm assuming the 1.4/1.5 TSI though I note that the Mk3 engines are more powerful. Needs cruise control (adaptive would be great). 

I think I am in the territory of 2016-2019, 1.0 to 1.4, SE/SEL, maybe 30k-40k miles on the clock. 

What is the 'sweet spot' in the Mark 3? What should I avoid?

SOS and other software issues 
My main concern is the VW group SOS and other software problems. My sister recently bought a 2021 Kamiq and loved the car but it had to go back - the infotainment system just constantly died due to SOS. She's now in a Ford. I am wondering whether I should target a 2016/17 car before the SOS was installed. There are so many horror stories it makes sticking with Skoda feel like a brave move.

Facelift?

Does the 3.5 facelift improve much? While seeming more modern than the Mk2, the one Mk3 I've been in seemed to have a more plasticky cabin than the Mk2 Elegance. I strangely appreciate the cloth in the door cards!

Engine choice

Engine wise, I've read some things to suggest that the early Mk3 1.4 TSI is a better choice than the 1.5TSI that replaced it. 

Also, I appreciate the 1.4/1.5 TSIs are 150 bhp. Perhaps the 1.2/1.0 TSI engines are a fairer replacement for my 120 bhp Mk 2?

Grateful for any thoughts. 

Avoid any Octavia Mk3 with a coolant expansion tank that has the words "Nit Silikat".  Look carefully in the expansion tank for any signs of rust coloured crap. If the coolant isn't bright pink, run a mile...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Stook said:

Avoid any Octavia Mk3 with a coolant expansion tank that has the words "Nit Silikat".  Look carefully in the expansion tank for any signs of rust coloured crap. If the coolant isn't bright pink, run a mile...

Very simple job to replace expansion header tank for one without Silikat - provided the original 'teabag' has not already split. As @Stook says, check the colour of the present coolant for discolouration. 

There was an issue with DSG and the early 1.5 ACT combination (Kangaroo) but that should have been resolved with a software update. I am very happy with my EA211 1.4 TSI. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Warrior193 said:

Very simple job to replace expansion header tank for one without Silikat - provided the original 'teabag' has not already split. As @Stook says, check the colour of the present coolant for discolouration. 

There was an issue with DSG and the early 1.5 ACT combination (Kangaroo) but that should have been resolved with a software update. I am very happy with my EA211 1.4 TSI. 

The problem is knowing if the original teabag has split. Some tanks are double walled so impossible to know. Recommend getting a dealer to replace it because, any problems down the line and they cotton on that the tank has been replaced, Skoda won't be interested.

Earlier DSGs on the smaller engines (1.6 and below) suffered. Toot will no doubt be along with the details but I would avoid those. Worth going for the bigger engine with the wet DSG if it were me. Although it does sound like you survived with your MK2 DSG. I think you would struggle to find a 2.0 petrol that isn't a vrs though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DadWagon said:

Doesn't need to be powerful/sporty.

Grateful for any thoughts. 

Give in to your other self, get a vRS, remap it to 300bhp and enjoy 😇:thinking::nod:

Just sayin'

Gaz

• Haha 2

Not sure if the mk2s are similar but I would guess. Depending on what you go for (and I cant advise you on what would and wouldn't have unfortunately) the car you are looking at may have a solid rear beam or it may have independent rear suspension. Its common on rear independent suspension for flatspot wearing on the rear tyres, partly due to suspension design and partly due to the concentric adjustment bolt being rusted and seized as VAG install them dry.

Can often hear it after 40 miles per hour, can sound like a helicopter.

All mk3s suffer a bit with road noise but its not horrendous.

Knocking or creaking lock to lock could suggest front topmounts are on their way out.

Check for damp carpets, especially if it has a panoramic roof. Some older cars are starting to show signs of water pooling in rear doors because of dirt in the drain holes or the seals have expanded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cars built from June 2015 onwards (model year 2016) have slightly improved Euro 6 engines an improved infotainment system than can support Android Auto and Apple Carplay, although, as has already been mentioned, you may need to pay to get this enabled. Some, but not all, SE cars had ordinary cruise control fitted as standard.
I am happy with the 110 bhp 1.2 TSI engine and there have been good reports about the 115 bhp 1.0 TSI too. They are efficient and the only time you might ever need more power is overtaking on single carriageways. I can't comment on the DSG.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @DadWagon, I might as well add my tuppence worth to this topic.

I'm not sure what is actually motivating the change since you seem quite happy with the mk2 and I can understand this as my old mk2 estate (with 1.9pd) was a joy to drive, especially after a couple of Korean MPV and SUV family dictated needs vehicles.

I'm guessing your mk2 has independent rear suspension, which you would lose by transferring to the mk3 with rear torsion beam on the lower power versions (irs only on 4wd and vrs models).

The latter is not well regarded by some in this forum although I found that driven normally, on normal roads I cannot tell much difference between them. However on Australian dirt roads the mk2  irs and the 15 inch tyres provided a far better ride of the two but that's probably not a real issue around Maidstone :) . I'd personally avoid any bigger wheels than 17 inch though.

There is better space for rear passenger in the mk3, Halogen headlights are slightly better, but even more so in the face lift version of the mk3 but higher spec headlights are recommended if you drive on unlit sections.

The mk3 is quite a light vehicle for its size with the smaller petrol engines fitted and so are quite nimble and potentially very economical if you drive 'sensibly'. I drive more sensibly than my wife but even she averages around 6L/100 around town.

Like @Rodge I only drive manuals so cannot comment on DSG versions.

Good luck with your search and try to get a few test drives to see what you are getting, or losing, with a change.

Edited by Gerrycan
editing issues
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GreenMachine1.6 said:

Stook, can you tell me what the issue is with the coolant not being bright pink please? I am familiar with the teabag issue, are the two connected?

I have a blocked matrix now I am getting sorted. Coolant was rusty. Had blocked matrix 4 years ago but wasn't aware of the "tea bag" at the time so didn't push Skoda. Car was just under 4 years and got a flush.

There is something suspicious going on with VAG and these matrix clogs. I am expecting a call from a customer relations manager this week. I spoke in length to service manager at local dealership who was helpful.

When I had issues last time the dealership said that the coolant was contaminated. Almost suggesting that I put something in the system which is a ridiculous. The flush worked for 4 years and now have same problem. I suspect that there is corrosion in engine or radiator. Shouldn't be happening after 75k, 8 years and the cooling system has never been touched other than Skoda dealer up until just before Xmas when local garage did timing belt and water pump. No way that they could have caused damage in such a time that affected the matrix.

It might be the tea bag. Might be something else. 

• Like 3

People, this is amazing 👏  thank you. I hope it helps others as well.

Interesting that nobody raised concerns about the SOS issue. Perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily about that. 

Edited by DadWagon

29 minutes ago, DadWagon said:

People, this is amazing 👏  thank you. I hope it helps others as well.

Interesting that nobody raised concerns about the SOS issue. Perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily about that. 

I'm hoping that my recollection isn't faulty - I think the SOS issue only applies to the MkIV.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

I'm hoping that my recollection isn't faulty - I think the SOS issue only applies to the MkIV.

That's interesting. There's quite a bit on here about it affecting the Superb Mk3 from 2017 onwards. And it seems to affect cars across the while VW group. Strange if the Mk3 Octy escaped it. Will do some more hunting to look for examples. 

12 hours ago, DadWagon said:

That's interesting. There's quite a bit on here about it affecting the Superb Mk3 from 2017 onwards. And it seems to affect cars across the while VW group. Strange if the Mk3 Octy escaped it. Will do some more hunting to look for examples. 

The Mk3 Octy was released in 2013 and AFAIK does not have an SOS module - at least my 2015 and 2016 models don't have one!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

The Mk3 Octy was released in 2013 and AFAIK does not have an SOS module - at least my 2015 and 2016 models don't have one!

And I don't think the Mk3.5 facelift had one either.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2023 at 10:29, DadWagon said:

SOS and other software issues 

My main concern is the VW group SOS and other software problems. My sister recently bought a 2021 Kamiq and loved the car but it had to go back - the infotainment system just constantly died due to SOS. She's now in a Ford. I am wondering whether I should target a 2016/17 car before the SOS was installed. There are so many horror stories it makes sticking with Skoda feel like a brave move.

Software issues are a Mk4 Octavia issue, the Mk3 & Mk3.5 are generally okay AFAIK.

Facelift?

Does the 3.5 facelift improve much? While seeming more modern than the Mk2, the one Mk3 I've been in seemed to have a more plasticky cabin than the Mk2 Elegance. I strangely appreciate the cloth in the door cards!

The infotainment system is much, much nicer IMO. Bigger, clearer, capacitative rather than resistive. Very nice! I do like the "proper" buttons of the old system, but all things considered, I prefer the new.

The looks you get used to. I've now grown to love my Mk3.5's distinctive look, but I can understand why a lot of people don't like it.

Engine choice

Engine wise, I've read some things to suggest that the early Mk3 1.4 TSI is a better choice than the 1.5TSI that replaced it. 

Also, I appreciate the 1.4/1.5 TSIs are 150 bhp. Perhaps the 1.2/1.0 TSI engines are a fairer replacement for my 120 bhp Mk 2?

Additionally, the 1.5 TSI is far more likely than the 1.4 to have a particulate filter fitted. One more thing to go wrong, but generally the 1.5 TSI seems to be a pretty good engine.

One plus of the 1.5 is that it's likely to be mated to a later gearbox, and the later the DSG the better.

I know everyone seems to like the 1.0 engine, but if buying 2nd hand, I personally wouldn't touch one if I was buying a car to keep for some years. I think it's a bit underpowered, but then I like big grunty engines having driven diesels for a couple of decades.

Not sure if the 150ps engines have IRS, but I'm pretty sure the 115ps engines don't have it.

I think your idea of a 1.4/1.5 petrol DSG SE L would be a good call, especially if you can find one spec'd with one or two nice extras like heated seats or the full winter pack.

I wouldn't worry too much about the silica bag issue. Check the coolant is nice and pink and the heating inside the car is even on driver and passenger side, then whip that silica bag out and replace the G13 coolant with G12evo and you should be golden.

• Like 2

I think the smaller tsi petrol engine versions don't seem to have the dreaded "mit silikat" header tank. My sons 1.2tsi certainly doesn't have the dreaded bursting teabag. His is only the S model but it's still pretty impressive - even on this poverty model I'm amazed how well his mobile works with infotainment, especially using an Amazon Echo Auto to verbally control it. 

I'd say the best one to get is the very last 1.4.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, EnterName said:

Not sure if the 150ps engines have IRS, but I'm pretty sure the 115ps engines don't have it.

Only comes on vrs or 4x4 versions. Maybe some high spec cars (L&K) with 2.0 engine. Definitely not in a 1.4/5.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Makes sense to me.

What has changed is that the price of new and decent second hand vehicles has risen  faster than for many years so when you already have a car you enjoy driving it is difficult to justify the cost of changing to a car that is, at best, only marginally better.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 3

MK2s are over engineered and go on for ever if well maintained and my Mk2 diesel was still going strong at 216k when I sold it.  I don't think prices for petrol models will fall anytime soon as will continue to be strong especially when more and more places are moving into ulez restrictions, which seems to affect mainly to diesels below euro6. 

• Like 1

On 13/01/2023 at 15:32, Stook said:

Recommend getting a dealer to replace it because, any problems down the line and they cotton on that the tank has been replaced, Skoda won't be interested.

Why would they be even remotely interested in a 4-8 year old second hand vehicle?

However if what you say is true then surely the last thing you would advise is have a Skoda dealer replace the tank.

• Like 1

I'm fairly new to Skoda, only talking from my own personal owning experience. Although I'm not new to driving, owned many cars over the last 35 plus years of driving.

I've now owned my 2019 1.5tsi ACT dsg SE for nearly a year now, has only 27k on the clock from new. So far the dq200 gearbox has been a pleasure to own, drive & it's been 100% reliable so far. I like my 1.5tsi ACT engine, it's the most fuel efficient 150bhp engine that I've every owned so far, for obvious reasons. I've averaged 48mpg long term with it so far on mainly e10 fuel. Within the year of ownership I've had the rear wiper motor replaced (common issue), under extended warranty & an s/s efb battery paid for myself.

The only downside I can see from owning this engine is that it's a little jerky from a cold start at zero degrees or below, until it's fully warmed up, which sometimes takes up to 2 miles when very cold. This vastly improves when using a higher octane fuel, would this put me off from buying another? No. Obviously down to this super efficient engine running at it's emission limits. Fine when the outside temperature is above zero degrees (most of the time), from a cold start. If I were to buy another I'd also buy an estate, as you might as well maximise the space that you already have. I'd also consider a mk4 estate with the similar engine and dsg box within the future, probably the sel spec or possibly a Passat or a superb, too. 

• Like 2