272. Remap or not?

Hi all. I've just bought a MY 19 sportline plus 272 and was considering whether or not to remap. Firstly, do I need it? I must admit, having a car pushing 350bhp sounds amazing. Secondly, basic remap or rolling Road? Just watched a video of a company testing 4 tuning boxes and none of them had anywhere near the gains claimed. Would a non- rolling remap likely be the same? 

• Like 1

No a non-RR map will be much better than a box. Maybe 85-90% of a Dyno/road map. The risk of an off the shelf map is component life. It won't be optimised for your specific car so will either push some parts (turbo) too far or will reign in the power to compensate. A fully custom map will get you the most from the engine from both a power and driveability point of view.

Don't discount a cots map though. They have their place and my current car has one. Last 2 were semi custom and I can honestly say I can't tell the difference. 3 totally different platforms though.

• Like 1

I had my Mk5 Golf GT Sport 170 TDI remapped by Angel Tuning, Scotland.  I subsequently had it tested on Star Performance's dyno and it made close to the claimed 210 bhp and 325 lbs-ft.  In fact, it made a bit more torque.

I subsequently had my Yeti 150 TDI remapped by them as well.  I've not run it on the dyno but I'm very pleased with the performance gains.   If you decide not to go for a full custom map, I'd recommend Angel Tuning.  

• Like 2

I have my 272 booked in for a remap with Avon Tuning on 1st March. 

272 is great but, as you say, 350 with AWD will increase drivability somewhat!  My last car had 365bhp and I miss that.  

I have decided not to do anything else at this point. So no DSG map and no hardwear changes. 

Happy with the DSG as is.  Changes are super fast and smooth.  

I want to keep the family bus just as it is, but with a little more power when needed. 

Will either start a thread or post up in ‘what have you done to your Superb today’ once done and driven a bit.  

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 2

To add, no rolling road for me. Avon Tuning (and others) are very experienced with the EA888 and assure me the map is well within the DQ381 ‘box and the turbo’s parameters. 

• Like 1

Well, I’m very happy with my RaceChip GTS Black. I don’t really give a toss about what the manufacturer says they give (although in a number of tests RaceChip units have been shown to be there or there abouts if the initial setup instructions are followed) but all I can say is the improvement, coupled with the XLR pedal box, is absolutely amazing. I didn’t want to go down the remap route immediately as it’s not transferable but if I ever did go for one, unlike the remap, it does have a resale value. 

Edited by numskull
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @numskull. Just swithering between remap and box. Just bought MY 19  ans got 2 years warranty. Take it they would detect map during servicing etc? Dont favour the boxes but at least i can remove. 

Just go with the Remap and if anything goes wrong with the engine or gearbox or Haldex then you know you have to foot the bill as no warranty.  A Tuning box needs declared on your insurance anyway and and loss adjuster working for the Warranty provider checks the insurance.  Skoda Aberdeen John Clark Group  are not stupid anyway.  If your car did break down and need recovered you are not removing a tuning box while waiting to be recovered. 

• Like 1

I'm at Stage 3, so my advise is to stick to a stage 1 tune ideally ECU & TCU and go to a reputable tuner.  There many so called tuners out there so best to do your legwork.  

• Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 18:24, Esseesse200 said:

Mine is running at 370bhp and 530nm. Map was done by TVS engineering in Holland via clp tuning in the uk. Very smooth loads of power and the TVS dsg map is beautiful: 

Is this Stage 1?  Impressive numbers if it is. 

@dunc69 will be very interested in the outcome of this - I have a Sportline 272 and have been considering a remap, and I'm in the same part of the world, so would love to hear about your experiences with Avon if you do go ahead with it.

2 hours ago, Jakester said:

@dunc69 will be very interested in the outcome of this - I have a Sportline 272 and have been considering a remap, and I'm in the same part of the world, so would love to hear about your experiences with Avon if you do go ahead with it.

@Jakesterit’s done!

350bhp and very pleased.  

PM me and I can tell you more.  Or we can talk if you send me a number. 

In short, Avon Tuning were great.  

• Love it! 1

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies and info. I've decided to go with the RaceChips GTS. ( max warrenty protection) But, as always happens with me, I have an immediate problem. Unfortunately I have to remove the engine undertray to get to one of the sensors ( nobody warned me about that). Managed to get the 8 screws out ( as per instructions) but can't get the tray to come away. Anyone had to do this? 

@robzer

The Warranty is if the Tuning Box is the cause of damage to the engine.

Have you changed the Spark Plugs before fitting the box or have they been changed or checked already?

?

Was your insurance company OK with the Tuning Box fitted and did they just charge for the Declaration, or did they load your policy.

engine-warranty-terms.pdf

Edited by toot

1 hour ago, robzer said:

Hi guys. Thanks for all the replies and info. I've decided to go with the RaceChips GTS. ( max warrenty protection) But, as always happens with me, I have an immediate problem. Unfortunately I have to remove the engine undertray to get to one of the sensors ( nobody warned me about that). Managed to get the 8 screws out ( as per instructions) but can't get the tray to come away. Anyone had to do this? 

Yes, you have to remove the tray. IIRC, once the screws are out, you need to slide the tray forwards to remove tongues from grooves at the front of the rear tray. It’s a PITA, as is uncoupling the plug and socket you need to bridge. 
PS - I might be wrong, but I think there could be more than 8 screws? 
Anyone have an illustration to confirm? 

Edited by numskull