TMC traffic events no longer being received...firmware update required?

7 minutes ago, NigelKG said:

TrafficMaster sold off their network to Inrix earlier in the year.
VW have decilned to update their map dat but there is a fix available to use old map V12 online which works!
So if you dont mind out of date map data there is a fix.

For mib2 standard V12 if a Mib2 high (Columbus in Skoda lingo branding) you can use the latest maps for that. Both solutions on the thread thanks to the two experts on the thread :inlove:.

On 22/08/2023 at 18:53, pcbbc said:

You can extract the files using 7zip.

However to reassemble them requires a specific format. It can’t be done with 7zip.  I developed my own custom tool set.

If you make the changes you want to the xml files and send them to me, along with the original cfg, I will repack them for you.

Here is the new link on Mega for my modified xml files with original mapcfg files.

Thanks.

https://mega.nz/file/9yNW2I4T#HkrtrBDQ6G9DYyYAbJohUUhINwIwtHZjoPbyIXB3RqA

• Love it! 1

1 hour ago, Seb4834 said:

Here is the new link on Mega for my modified xml files with original mapcfg files.

Thanks.

https://mega.nz/file/9yNW2I4T#HkrtrBDQ6G9DYyYAbJohUUhINwIwtHZjoPbyIXB3RqA

The French solution to your own disappearing TMC that PCBBC didn't for you. I guess that's only the French solution the GB solution is further up to clarify.

This is only for the French solution because the other provider uses the same TMC table as the previous one and this table is included in 2023 tomtom maps. I am waiting for my files to be repacked for testing.

• Thanks 1

GB solution is harder, you need to include Inrix TMC table in the newest tomtom maps . The French solution is not for Me, I have the TMC working with my Delphi unit, it is for all the French that have a Technisat unit including Skoda, SEAT and VW.

Sorry to disturb.

Just received this from Skoda Support, shame they don't read this forum to find out what has really happened and what is actually possible:

Dear *********,

Thank you for your patience, and we are sorry for the inconvenience. 

The Škoda relevant department would like to inform you that the service you are referring to, i.e. the TMC service over FM RDS radio services, is provided by a third party. According to the information available to us, the UK TMC service provider has ended broadcast of TMC on the British territory over FM RDS radio services.  

On some vehicles, traffic services can continue to be received online via Infotainment Online services, as well as by use of third-party online navigation on the display using Apple CarPlay/Android Auto with either free to use services (e.g. Google maps / Apple maps) or many other alternative providers using a subscription. Unfortunately, our company is not able to influence such decisions of third parties in any way. 

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.

We hope that within this answer the complaint will be resolved to your full satisfaction, and you will continue to favour the ŠKODA brand.

With kind regards,

logo2D.png

Support for Digital Services
ŠKODA AUTO a.s
T: 00800 80 247 247
*****@*****.tld, www.skoda-auto.com

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

35 minutes ago, Tell said:

Read as we aren't going to do anything about it 😏.

I did reply to Skoda and suggested they read this thread, I commented that they could come up with a solution but probably simply don't want to. 

• Like 3

The problem is that VW group didn’t renew the license with the providers because of smartphones success for traffic information. That was the answer from the provider when I asked about non working TMC for my VW. I am not sure about TMC activation on mib 3 and next.

Well all of the car manufacturers served by Traffic Master would have had to renew their licence. Could have been they priced themselves out. For Inrix they would have had to sign up contracts and do a recall for coding on the high unit etc. That service is still viable since it's still running and the data is used by government agencies and other car manufacturers. Reckon two income sources.

Connected services is the Vag mib3 solution which has an income model. Some connect services for mib2 if the relative brand supports it. Seat not for mib2, never took off. Depends on other brands.

The smartphone services for others. Many dont want their smartphone running these services and those map providers are not proper mapping companies that publish defective maps. Horses for courses.

Vag just pulled the plug on Traffic Master by not agreeing a contract or Traffic Master wanted to get out of the business. Fortunately DIY solutions exist for those that use TMC. On the thread above.

Edited by Tell

• 3 weeks later...

Quick message to say thanks to this thread I got the mib1 standard working on my golf. Changed tmc from default 3 to 14 over the weekend. Initially thought it hadn't work, but 36 hours later by Monday morning, traffic reports coming in. Be patient if reports don't show instantly!

• Like 1

Good it had been reported that 14 did the trick on mib1s although not sure whether that was a standard or high. I'd have to go back and read where that came up. These systems were engineered to give flexibility least in mib1 and mib2 high. Mib2 standard old maps and Pcbbc code module for that as covered.

On the mib2 standard settled on old maps with TMC working (Pcbbc fix with Inrix built into the fix if it's not a Delphi) rather than new maps without TMC. Mib2 high current maps with TMC working with the re coding to Inrix, 14 if you don't have connect services or that other code covered above with connect services.

If you have not got Obdeleven or similar coding device with a mib2 high unit, you can make the changes with the mib2 high toolbox as Pcbbc pointed out on the other thread recently. The other fix to add to the fix list. Green menu tinkering.

https://github.com/jilleb/mib2-toolbox

That one is for the cost conscience who don't want to spend money on a coding device or find someone to do it for them. Horses for courses.

Edited by Tell
Delphi clarification

For MIB2 High…

Current value less than 32768 - change to 14

Current value greater or equal to 32768 - change to 32782

These are the only two TMC provider sets available that include INRIX TMC provider in the UK.

0 = online traffic not available
32768 = online traffic enabled

+14 = TMC provider set with INRIX available

Note that enabling online traffic won’t actually get you online traffic unless you pay your subscription to VAG for this service.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a bit confused here, being a non tech person. All this about TMC etc, grey lines through things. My previous 2 previous Golfs AND my present 2022 Karoq have a TP indicator on the sat Nav screen. This could be switched on and off in settings, depending on whether you want the local radio traffic reports or not. So it’s this function that is working a tiny bit, I.e the odd traffic report but little more. So the system isn’t switched off - if it was I wouldn’t get anything.

as I said, any ideas what is going on?

UK only. A "cross" on TMC channels being received over air means it's not working. The broadcaster that VAG used stopped the service. Solution on the thread are to pick up the other UK broadcaster Inrix that VAG doesn't use but can be got. Clear as mud. We say broadcaster but they run the service and transmit the data piggy backed on other broadcasts.

Edited by Tell

Hello all. I think I might be over complicating things. I want the local radio traffic news to come on, interrupting what I might have on the radio. Nothing to do with maps or re- routing. This is the TP function. It's in the top of the radio screen. It's on or off, set in settings. It's this bit that I want on, but it only works every month or so, no real pattern. 

Any ideas why?

TMC will re-route the car on the sat nav if it's shown as blocked. TP just breaks into radio stations with a transport report. I've had it turned off for 6 years, TMC does the job instead better. See an issue in front on the map, tap the icon and it tells you the issue in the text.

Yes TP and TMC are different. Thread started off as TMC not  woŕking and finished with solutions. Traffic announcements is something different.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsecaralan said:

I want the local radio traffic news to come on, interrupting what I might have on the radio.

That’s TA (Traffic Announcements), nothing to do with what we are discussing here, which is TMC (Traffic Message Channel).

TA is still alive and well throughout the UK. Perhaps you have it disabled in your radio settings?

Best to if you want to listen to radio or recorded music. It's the poor man's version of traffic unless you are interested in rail delays whilst driving 🤔. That's why I turned it off in the car, no need with TMC. Its a scanner rat thing.

• 1 month later...
On 10/08/2023 at 18:59, Ben-2000 said:

Thanks again for this. Managed to get round to sorting it and popped the SD card back in earlier.

The maps have updated to include new roads etc but so far no traffic reports, although at one point it did flicker as though it was trying to refresh (it never did that after Trafficmaster stopped working).

Hopefully when I go for a drive later it will kick into life!

I've tried this but it still doesn't work. It's probably something I've done / not done having seen it's success rate with others. 

I'm prepared to send my SD card and pay for this to be done if somebody is interested as despite giving it a go I really don't know what I'm doing!