Shock absorbers leaking

Apprentice

Disappointed to find that both the front shock absorbers appeared to be leaking and then later confirmed by Indy VAG Audi garrage in Inverness as the mileage is only 19700 miles, OK there is wear and tear, potholes and rough surface on some roads but for both shockers to show signs of leakage makes you wonder how good the original VAG ones are, anyone else had this issue happening at low mileage?

Dont wonder, they are complete crap, even buying the cheapest Chinese made (probably) ones on Ebay for something silly like £30 the pair I found they are massively better than the OE ones.

They will call it misting and a normal chracteristic (it isn't) until they fail an MOT and usually by then the warranty has passed, were you to offer it as a trade in the misting shocks would suddenly become dangerous and the cost of replacement deducted from the part X offer.

Utter garbage. 

Mine leaked that badly they clicked and knocked like nobody's business.

2019 / 22,000 miles.

Fortunately the cost of replacement was reimbursed by the dealership I bought the car from.

21 hours ago, Apprentice said:

Disappointed to find that both the front shock absorbers appeared to be leaking and then later confirmed by Indy VAG Audi garrage in Inverness as the mileage is only 19700 miles, OK there is wear and tear, potholes and rough surface on some roads but for both shockers to show signs of leakage makes you wonder how good the original VAG ones are, anyone else had this issue happening at low mileage?

Nope, and our Karoq is over 4 years old and nearly at 35,000 miles 

A few years ago my wife’s mint 3 year old, low miles Octavia failed its first MOT due to “weeping front shock”.

Unfortunately car was at my almost next door Tyre / Exhaust/ Service emporium that I used many times. Not at main dealer.

So I was screwed on the Warranty argument. Cheap OEM junk. Just like the 3 sets of tear cheese discs I’ve endured on 2 previous Kodiaqs.

We poor customers just have to hear VAGs cost cutting. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks Crasher for the Skoda take on reality. Our 20 plate 18k Karoq had it's first MOT at our local garage this week. One advisory was 'Oil mist' on both front shocks. The warranty  expires in a couple of weeks, so I went to the local Skoda dealer for an explanation. They followed the party line and told me there's a separate area above the hydraulics which contains a 'sacrificial oil' section designed to lubricate the chromed shaft, and then washed the car for me.

Local MOT guy showed me the government manual which says 'Misting' is not a fail but he has changed an awful lot of Karoq shocks. I bet next year Skoda will happily change both shocks at an unbelievable price.

Afterthoughts:

1. What happens when the 'sacrificial oil' is gone?

2. How long will replacement VW shocks remain oil tight?

3. Do Koni do replacements? 

4. Why does my 59 plate 47k Micra not have oily shocks?

1 hour ago, AnotherCPB said:

1. What happens when the 'sacrificial oil' is gone?

Its called Bull5hit!

• 1 month later...

No mention about the shocks on my 2019 Karoq at the MOT (independent) but small leaks mentioned at the later skoda service. 31,000 miles. Quote of £625 but to be fair it's an Amber note and they said there is a long way to go.  Front discs have also begun pitting. Quote £395 Inc pads. 

Local independents have confirmed they get quite a few like this and it is parts quality. Quote £350 for shocks and £240 for discs and pads. Likely to go independent and upgrade the discs and shocks sometime in the next 22 months. Still much cheaper. 

The two leaking/failed front units plus one new anti-roll bar link were replaced last week by an Inverness independent garage at a cost of £606 and after that hit on the plastic they informed me that the inner faces of the front discs were scorred/corroded and would eventually need replacing,

Anything else likely to need sorting in a 3.5 year old low mileage Skoda Karoq in the near future?

I live by the sea so believe that my discs suffered from a combination of sea salt and lack of milage when working from home during lockdown. I still think they should have lasted better so will eventually replace with Pagid or Brembo. £120 a pair compared to £60 but reviews and comments show you get what you pay for. Not found such a range of advice for replacement shocks. 

9 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

The two leaking/failed front units plus one new anti-roll bar link were replaced last week by an Inverness independent garage at a cost of £606 and after that hit on the plastic they informed me that the inner faces of the front discs were scorred/corroded and would eventually need replacing,

Anything else likely to need sorting in a 3.5 year old low mileage Skoda Karoq in the near future?

Ouch. 

But to correct all the negativity by respondants, low mileage VAG shocks are well known for misting rather than leaking. Leaking shocks ( an MOT failure ) isn't common. I've owned 1 x Octavia, 1 x Karoq and 1x Kodiaq and been fortunate enough to to have any mention of shock issues at servicing or MOT.

When was the car 1st registered? Were you the original owner? The reason I ask is if your car was built end of 2018 and it's now the 2nd half of 2023 doesn't that make it 4.5yr old rather than 3.5yr?

On 16/05/2023 at 20:58, BoxerBoy said:

A few years ago my wife’s mint 3 year old, low miles Octavia failed its first MOT due to “weeping front shock”.

Unfortunately car was at my almost next door Tyre / Exhaust/ Service emporium that I used many times. Not at main dealer.

So I was screwed on the Warranty argument. Cheap OEM junk. Just like the 3 sets of tear cheese discs I’ve endured on 2 previous Kodiaqs.

We poor customers just have to hear VAGs cost cutting. 

I understand none of that.

1: Is a weeping shock not an advisory rather than a MOT failure?

2: What difference does that make to the warranty? It's only an MOT. Even if the car had never been serviced at a main dealer, as long as it had been serviced to the recomended schedule using OEM parts, the warranty is intact.

3. Faulty shocks in their Octavia, three sets of tear cheese discs on previous two Kodiaqs and what does he do, he goes and buys another Kodiaq. 

I'm struggling to see any logic in that posting.

Yes you are correct, my maths error, it is 4 years and 7 months sine the Karoq was first registered, bought it new from a dealership in Ayr.

The two units were more or less done when changed last week.

25 minutes ago, RSamy said:

I live by the sea so believe that my discs suffered from a combination of sea salt and lack of milage when working from home during lockdown. I still think they should have lasted better so will eventually replace with Pagid or Brembo. £120 a pair compared to £60 but reviews and comments show you get what you pay for. Not found such a range of advice for replacement shocks. 

I live beside a sea loch so the "salty air" probably does not help along with the low weekly mileage, the mechanic mentioned that not all discs are manufactured the same quality wise plus the brake pad compounds can vary in how hard/soft they are depending on the make, driving styles vary in that some use a combination of gears and brakes to slow down while others just push down hard on the brake padal most of the time.

37 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

low mileage VAG shocks are well known for misting rather than leaking.

Sounds like you have been completely taken in by VAG spin to avoid their warranty obligations.

"Misting" is leaking, make no mistake, and it isn't "misting" at all which their BS spin would have us believe is damping oil vaporised from the heat generated, its boiling point at a minimum is over 300°c, it is a fluid leak which as it continues will eventually result in a gradual then complete loss of damping.

If a mantra is trotted out consistently and regularly it becomes accepted.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Sounds like you have been completely taken in by VAG spin to avoid their warranty obligations.

"Misting" is leaking, make no mistake, and it isn't "misting" at all which their BS spin would have us believe is damping oil vaporised from the heat generated, its boiling point at a minimum is over 300°c, it is a fluid leak which as it continues will eventually result in a gradual then complete loss of damping.

If a mantra is trotted out consistently and regularly it becomes accepted.

Yes, totally taken in because I'm stupid.

Forget VW - go look at forums of other manufacturers and you'll see the exact same stories.

Leaking is completely different. Don't take my word or VW or anybody elses word for it, ask the mechanics who undertake an MOT. If your shocks are misting the car will pass an MOT. If they're leaking, it won't. 

Don't shoot the messenger, write to the Department of Transport if you have a problem with it.

6 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Ouch. 

But to correct all the negativity by respondants, low mileage VAG shocks are well known for misting rather than leaking. Leaking shocks ( an MOT failure ) isn't common. I've owned 1 x Octavia, 1 x Karoq and 1x Kodiaq and been fortunate enough to to have any mention of shock issues at servicing or MOT.

When was the car 1st registered? Were you the original owner? The reason I ask is if your car was built end of 2018 and it's now the 2nd half of 2023 doesn't that make it 4.5yr old rather than 3.5yr?

I understand none of that.

1: Is a weeping shock not an advisory rather than a MOT failure?

2: What difference does that make to the warranty? It's only an MOT. Even if the car had never been serviced at a main dealer, as long as it had been serviced to the recomended schedule using OEM parts, the warranty is intact.

3. Faulty shocks in their Octavia, three sets of tear cheese discs on previous two Kodiaqs and what does he do, he goes and buys another Kodiaq. 

I'm struggling to see any logic in that posting.

I’m sorry you’re struggling.

Had the leaky shocks argument taken place in the Skoda Dealer’s emporium, I would have pushed for dealer replacing them as “unfit for purpose”. Exactly the same argument I’ve had several times - successfully - with crap rear discs. 

Not long ago had the rears changed on the Tiguan we used to have - dealer described them as "leaking" so the All In warranty covered them at 7.5yrs old (only about 40K miles though).  They noticed this on the VHC while it was having a glow plug changed.

Looking at the VHC video they looked exactly the same as they did on service and MOT 6 mths earlier but they weren't even commented on.

"Misting" has been a VW thing for years - there was a service bulletin about it against a 2011 Golf we had after the fronts were noted as "misting".  After it was 3yrs old I got it indie serviced and he put "misting" on the first MOT he did at 4yrs/40K.   I showed him the bulletin and he dimmissed it as a load of rubbish.  Next year he didn't mention them,  but they were back on the next two MOTs he did.   To be fair, didn't have any noticeable issue with them in the 7yrs/70K miles we had the car.  

I just looked up the Golf's MOT hstory and "misiting" is there as an advisory every year from 2015 to 2021, apart from 2016.  It's not mentioned on the Oct 2022 MOT.

Edited by Rory
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Yes, totally taken in because I'm stupid.

Forget VW - go look at forums of other manufacturers and you'll see the exact same stories.

Like I said if a mantra is repeated often enough people believe it.

Leaking is completely different. Don't take my word or VW or anybody elses word for it, ask the mechanics who undertake an MOT. If your shocks are misting the car will pass an MOT. If they're leaking, it won't. 

"Misting" as the phrase has been coined is a minor leak not yet bad enough to fail an MOT but  in time it probably will.

Any fluid getting past the seals is a leak, VAG or whatever manufacturer can make up all the silly names they like for it but when fluid is no longer contained in a sealed pressurised system it is a leak. The ridiculous claims that it is vaporised by the heat generated in operation should tell any thinking non gullible person all they need to know about the motivation of the authors of such rubbish.

Don't shoot the messenger, write to the Department of Transport if you have a problem with it.

Thankyou but I have no intention of doing that, I realise that I will not sway your belief, thats fine but if I make others think twice before swallowing the guff and getting shafted by VAG then I am pleased to have done so.

Edited by J.R.

• 2 weeks later...

After some communications with Skoda UK executive whatever I got a network goodwill gesture/email voucher re. the issue of the failing front shocks which were out of the 3 year waranty period, they would not give a goodwill gesture to the actual cost of replacement as I had used an indipendent garage and not a Skoda retailer or as others would say a Skoda dealer.

The couple of hundred quid can be used against the next retailer service or whatever from the Skoda network but not from any Skoda finance products e.g. a Skoda service plan.

If you don't ask you don't get .............. something.

• Like 1