DISCS.

VWD

As said, DISCS. At MOT advice was to look at a change, and as its now pad time as well, thought it might be a good time to look, considering I now do 5k average. Looked at a few sites and new disc makes is not something I've wondered about. Present set up now seems to have an occasional bit of fade , so perhaps might be time for a better bit of metal. Any suggestions in the decent to good range,. I've spotted Brembos at what I consider a decent price , but to me a disc is a disc.

Any help appreciated.

6 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Brembo discs are fine, I've been using them for years with no problems.

I like Pagid pads but just don't buy cheap ones.

Thanks, choice between Bosch or Brembo. I changed over to Mintex pads last time, but pads are low and with discs getting a bit thin, thought it might be good time to do both, as I'm on 135k. Last mic on discs was a few years ago at 20.5 (Haynes / disc data says min 19mm) . 

The problem is that I can get at least 55k on a set of pads and at 5k a year that's a lot of time to remember.

Something I do know about after 50+ years on A8x roads. On the likes of A830 , you need good instant braking , but on other roads you need instant breaking with the ability for a good long hard slow down form a bit of speed, with something left at the end, just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

After fitting Brembo front discs and pads that started to judder, I ditched them and fitted ATE discs and Pagid pads. No problems since.  Similar issues with Brembo kit on other cars. 

Other folks have no issues with Brembo. 

Edited by prt57
  • Like 1

I've been pretty unimpressed with Brembos in recent years. Performance hasn't been amazing, loose fitment on pads making them rattle, definitely not what they used to be. I just fit something along the lines of ATE or TRW now, loads cheaper and they're basically OEM anyway. The eurocarparts brands (Pagid and whatever they call the cheapo ones) are just dog****. I always used to fit Mintex, only stopped because I switched parts suppliers, my brother still uses them and says they're decent. 

The pads to definitely avoid are the economy range Skoda pads. I bought a set then took them back as they looked like someone had made them in their shed. Big lumps in the pads material and very rough backing plate. The label confirmed they were not made in Europe. They also cost much more than any of the easily available alternatives. 

Last time out I got a full set of Pagid, 4 disks and 4 pads from ECP. Was a little while ago now.... Just over £100 for the lot, for my VRS. With a hefty discount code, of course. Otherwise would have been more like £150. Surprising to see them offering disks now at a fraction of the Eicher price! Must be made of spit and the dreams of hedges.

• 2 weeks later...

I've paid around 90 euro's for a set of Bosch discs and pads. These new Bosch discs have an all-on special grey coating that stays on the discs where the brakepads do not touch the metal, which reduces rust around the edges. No complains after 4 months.

19mm is the limit, replaced mine at 20mm with brakepads at 4/5mm and some uneven wear.

One of the OEM brakepads has gone lose after 21 years and 140k and has turned around a bit. Seems that they are not only held by a simple bolt, but also some glue-like substance that simply came of, and then you can turn the pad a bit on it's holder.

So it's important to check if they are still firm and tight, you don't want it to seize into the caliper <> brake disc.

Look for a split on one of these pads, then they can move.

brakepads.jpg

Edited by Palatinux

That is just the anti squeal shim that has lifted a bit.

I'd be binning brake stuff a bit earlier than 21 years - I think, everything will have a finite service life.

• Like 2