Insurance shocker!

26 minutes ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

IF anyone ever needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

But you are not the cheapest, when ever I have had quotes in the past you have been been about 100% dearer  than

any other

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

We've moved to multi-car (3 cars in house) and it makes it very difficult to compare as (a) most comparison websites don't allow multi-car quotes and (b) current insurer (Elephant) doesn't show the individual car costs, just the total. I probably spent 20+ hours last October (at renewal time) trying to do some comparisons but gave up in the end.

What ****es me off is that I couldn't do the best quote when it was there, so tried again and couldn't get anything under £650, so I took it. Its still £446 better than what my existing insurers are quoting. 

Apparently it's down to the Ferrari incident, which is still being fought despite my providing dashcam footage and evidence that he shouldn't have been on the road as his car was SORNd.

12 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Apparently it's down to the Ferrari incident,

Sorry it happened (and continues to cause grief) but let's be honest, that's not a statement you see every day!

• Like 1

Not surprised to finally hear the admission that the Ferrari incident is the cause of the premium increase despite the earlier claims that it had been settled in his favour.

I thought the video was an own goal and would at best have resulted in a 50/50 knock for knock as I probably said at the time, I would never have considered the overtake but assuming I had misjudged the conditions and done so (not to just embarrass a Ferrari driver) I would have kept the video to myself.

It was myself that revealed that the Ferrari was on SORN not that it has any relevance regarding who was responsable for the accident.

What goes around comes around.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Not surprised to finally hear the admission that the Ferrari incident is the cause of the premium increase despite the earlier claims that it had been settled in his favour.

I thought the video was an own goal and would at best have resulted in a 50/50 knock for knock as I probably said at the time, I would never have considered the overtake but assuming I had misjudged the conditions and done so (not to just embarrass a Ferrari driver) I would have kept the video to myself.

It was myself that revealed that the Ferrari was on SORN not that it has any relevance regarding who was responsable for the accident.

What goes around comes around.

Wait. You can’t just plough into things just because technically they shouldn’t be there? Hmm *makes note*

• Haha 2

On 31/12/2023 at 13:18, TheWanderer said:

Just got my insurance renewal through from Privilege and despite having full protected NCB or 9+ years & admittedly one accident claim + two windscreens (stones/cracks) they hiked the premium from £452 to £1,118!

So I used Martin Lewis' website and went through there and with the above, and got Full legal, guaranteed hire car, windscreen cover, foreign use etc, I got a quote from Aviva (with a £300 XS) of £568. 

A Whopping 65.25% saving by NOT auto renewing! 😲

So shop around.

Insurance will go up if you have an accident regardless of fault.

Assuming the bonus to be 60%?

NCB protection does not stop the premium going up either. It only protects the percentage discount off the cost of the policy.

I.E

If last years payment due was £452 after 60% ncb the policy was £1,130

The Aviva policy works out to £1,420 with the 60% making it £568

Privilege have history of almost doubling premiums after incidents

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/jul/06/no-insurance-claim-against-me-so-why-am-i-a-marked-driver

• Like 2

Petition Establish a Commission to investigate extortionate Car Insurance price rises

Car insurance prices have become increasingly more expensive since the Coronavirus pandemic, surpassing pre-pandemic average costs to insure cars despite a general reduction of road related deaths. Regulations at this time allow for consumer price gouging and cause hardship for many with no benefit.

More details

A comission should be organised to investigate the regulatory practices of car insurance pricing and to ensure of fair competition.
A commission should look at alternative models. For example, in four provinces of Canada car insurance is a government-owned and operated system, a similar system in the UK could not only provide a potential additional revenue stream for the government but also limit the financial hardship caused by purchasing 3rd party insurance from private companies which maintain primary responsibility to earnings of their shareholders.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/644067

• Like 1

When I was travelling in New Zealand I was given a WOF (Roadworthy test) failure Nissan Prairie that had been converted for camping, incredibly by the ex boyfriend of the girl I was seeing! He even gave me all the spares and let me use his garage and stay at his house while I fixed it up.

Anyway when I registered it in my name it came with State 3rd party insurance cover, it was something like £40 a year in NZ dollars, an absolute bargain and a very equitable system, it did not seem to have harmed the insurance market, most people with decent cars took out fully comp policies in case they got run into by a cheapskate like myself 🤣

Elsewhere on this forum there is a newly qualified driver being rushed for £6K to insure his Fabia, in my country an insurer can only load the policy a maximum of 100% or 50% if they have taken a road safety course.

As an example if my policy was €500 and I had the maximum ncb then I would pay €250, a young driver having just passed his test would pay €750 but the 50% increase drops to nothing over 3 years ad he also builds up NCB so he would pay €593 in year 2 and €425 in year 3.

The NCB builds up slowly over 13 years to get to the maximum 50% so the young driver wont get to pay the same as any older driver with full NCB till he is 30 but critically he does not get penalised in the early years and very little after 3 accident free years, I think it is a very equitable system.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, J.R. said:

When I was travelling in New Zealand I was given a WOF (Roadworthy test) failure Nissan Prairie that had been converted for camping, incredibly by the ex boyfriend of the girl I was seeing! He even gave me all the spares and let me use his garage and stay at his house while I fixed it up.

Anyway when I registered it in my name it came with State 3rd party insurance cover, it was something like £40 a year in NZ dollars, an absolute bargain and a very equitable system, it did not seem to have harmed the insurance market, most people with decent cars took out fully comp policies in case they got run into by a cheapskate like myself 🤣

Elsewhere on this forum there is a newly qualified driver being rushed for £6K to insure his Fabia, in my country an insurer can only load the policy a maximum of 100% or 50% if they have taken a road safety course.

As an example if my policy was €500 and I had the maximum ncb then I would pay €250, a young driver having just passed his test would pay €750 but the 50% increase drops to nothing over 3 years ad he also builds up NCB so he would pay €593 in year 2 and €425 in year 3.

The NCB builds up slowly over 13 years to get to the maximum 50% so the young driver wont get to pay the same as any older driver with full NCB till he is 30 but critically he does not get penalised in the early years and very little after 3 accident free years, I think it is a very equitable system.

It's a similar system here in Aus. In the state of Victoria CTP (Compulsory Third Party) insurance is administered by the Transport Accident Commission and premiums are collected at the time of registration renewal, so it's impossible to register a vehicle without it. As TAC is a non-competitive govt body the rate scale is fixed for everyone based on category of your vehicle and risk zone (home postcode). It's a no blame system that covers owners and drivers if they injure or kill someone in an accident regardless of who was at fault, including any large court payouts. Annual premium is around A$550 (£290) for a sedan/wagon/SUV in a high risk zone, with 50% concessions for certain owner groups such as pensioners, trades apprentices etc., we can also opt to pay pro rata for 3 or 6 month periods. There may be slight variations in other states, but they all have fundamentally similar systems and cover applies nationally. Vehicle damage isn't covered by CTP, so optional TPF&T, or Full Comp insurance still requires some assiduous shopping around!

• Like 1

Yes I was aware that if I crashed into someone that did not have fully comp cover themselves I would be liable for their vehicle repair costs, same deal if I hit a fence or road sign.

But as I was of no fixed abode................................... 😃

• Cheeky 1

On 01/01/2024 at 20:10, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

IF anyone ever needs any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Mine went up this year from £388 to £568 fully comp with no claims or convictions. It wasn't auto renewed and the £568 was the cheapest on comparison sites. When I questioned many of the companies they said the increase was due to the repair cost going up especially the cost of repairing electric cars. My reply was that I don't own an electric car and therefore the increase to repair electric cars should not be spread across the board but confined to owners of electric cars, and lets see how smug these "green" car owners would be then! Of course I didn't get a reply.

Looking forward from a reply from Dan@ Adrian Flux who posted earlier. 

Edited by Ianrally
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

Mine went up this year from £388 to £568 fully comp with no claims or convictions. It wasn't auto renewed and the £568 was the cheapest on comparison sites. When I questioned many of the companies they said the increase was due to the repair cost going up especially the cost of repairing electric cars. My reply was that I don't own an electric car and therefore the increase to repair electric cars should not be spread across the board but confined to owners of electric cars, and lets see how smug these "green" car owners would be then! Of course I didn't get a reply.

Looking forward from a reply from Dan@ Adrian Flux who posted earlier. 

How could it be possible to insure your car against only having accidents with non electric cars?

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

It’s nothing to do with having accidents with non electric cars. Where do you get that idea from? It’s to do with insurance costs increasing because of the repair costs of electric cars. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

It’s nothing to do with having accidents with non electric cars. Where do you get that idea from? It’s to do with insurance costs increasing because of the repair costs of electric cars. 

You are the one who thinks his insurance should not go up because your car is ICE not me.

Your insurance goes up to cover the risk of an accident you may have, you may hit an electric car. Does that make it clearer?

Edited by Stonekeeper

1 minute ago, Ianrally said:

I can’t help it if you can’t get your head round my post. I’ll leave it there. Explain ICE as I don’t converse in abbreviations.  

My understanding of your post is that you seem to believe that the cost of insurance is only based upon the value of repairing your car if it has an accident and that people who have EVs should be solely responsible for the fact that their car is more expensive to repair even if they have a non-fault accident.

As the overall value of cars on the road increases everyone's insurance costs will rise do you not see that?

(ICE is an Internal Combustion Engine. EV is an Electric vehicle.)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ianrally said:

I give up

As others have said insurance costs are based on ALL vehicles not just yours, so if the repair costs of other vehicles go up that will increase YOUR premium - that's how insurance has always worked - we all pay into one pot.

We are paying because there is Climate Change, a war in Ukraine, there was Covid & because the insurers waste money on very expensive costs of body repairs and ridiculous charges for Courtesy cars.

Regardless of an Octavia being a SE or vRS you are paying into the pot for maybe wiping out a cyclist or pedestrain.

The vRS might be costing more than the SE though.

Oddly not everyone's insurance went up this year, some are even paying less. 

We are also paying in to the pot for repairs to super car crashes like the £8.5m Pagani Zonda 760 LH in North Wales last summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66538428

Interesting the in the BBC report it states "The car lost control..." Call me pedantic but a car, by itself, cannot lose control. It is the driver that loses control of his or her car of their car.

BTW, I have driven through that tunnel many a time at 70mph - there is no reason why anyone should lose control.

The article goes on to say "People with fast cars go down there and they want to show off in the tunnels and get it heard. Then the unexpected happens." - which can be heard in this dash cam footage

https://uk.motor1.com/news/682679/lewis-hamilton-zonda-crash-dashcam-video/

• Like 1

Harry's Garage is interesting this year for the cost of his fleet of vehicles.

Under £8,000 a year for the insurance.

From 14 minutes.

£7,732 for 22 cars and 13 bikes.   

Now somewhere the p!ss is being taken like with the Fabia owner in the Insurance section and the £6,000 quote.

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1