is dpf/egr still an issue with newer diesels?

I'm considering a nearly new Superb. I don't do huge mileages but I do tow a horse box every so often, so a torquey diesel appeals to me.. Are DPF issues still a thing for newer diesel engines or has adblue etc. resolved them? I'd be grateful to hear of people's experiences, especially lowish mileage drivers

With SCR / Adblue you can still get clogged DPF,s and regens and messing about with cold start / short trips. and then the issue some have with AdBlue and the systems.

Many might have no issues, but the problem is when you get them.  Costs / repairs,. just the PITA really.

• Like 2

I've had an Octavia diesel for 10 years (240k km) so far without issues.

Never had any problems with the DPF although I do drive quite high mileage.

As long as you drive enough to get the engine warm and then maybe 15 minutes more at least once during each tank of diesel its enough to allow a normal regeneration.

During the pandemic when I wasn't going to work I've had a message once to say the car cannot regenerate and to see owners handbook (I.e. drive in the highway) and after 5 minutes the warning had gone and didn't come back.

SCR adds another level of complexity to newer diesels but is relatively more simple technology than the DPF.

You will also find that  many new petrol cars will come with SCR to meet every tightening emissions rules.

• Like 1

I should add that I have recently purchased a Superb Diesel (DPF+SCR) but only 5k km in so far...

The actual enemy of DPF / EGR is short trips and low revs driving all the time.

My current MK3 is the 5th TDI at home over last 20 years. They've made something like 400000 km ++ in total. None of them had DPF or EGR issue.

A 25-30 drive per tank, and sometimes full throttle at montorway entry helps keeping them healthy. ;) 

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 2

I do around 3-4k miles a year in my 190 diesel, so it has adblue

Never had any issues, regen does its thing very rarely and never had any lights on the dash.

I try to drive my car at least once a week and is usually around 15 minutes each way with max speed of about 40.

There’s some other people on here with equally low mileage for the age, can’t remember if theirs are diesels too, fyi mines a 2016 with 41k miles, I bought it in 2019 with 30k ish miles on it already

7 hours ago, Danoid said:

I do around 3-4k miles a year in my 190 diesel, so it has adblue

Never had any issues, regen does its thing very rarely and never had any lights on the dash.

I try to drive my car at least once a week and is usually around 15 minutes each way with max speed of about 40.

There’s some other people on here with equally low mileage for the age, can’t remember if theirs are diesels too, fyi mines a 2016 with 41k miles, I bought it in 2019 with 30k ish miles on it already

Your 8 year old car won't be to the tougher current euro6d RDE2 emissions spec, where everything related to emissions is more complicated and sensitive.

The latest diesel emissions equipment is seriously expensive to repair if it gets problems.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Your 8 year old car won't be to the tougher current euro6d RDE2 emissions spec, where everything related to emissions is more complicated and sensitive.

The latest diesel emissions equipment is seriously expensive to repair if it gets problems.

Oh didn’t realise they’ve changed it yet again 😮

Wonder if it’s to push people to electric 😒

There is a very sustainable future for diesel cars that is industry standard already with lorries today. HVO100 is renewable, requires zero mods, is approved by manufacturers and is 90% lower in emissions. But obviously this is not in line with authorities’ plan to electrify.

If only BMW, Daimler & VW had not needed to cheat the equipment / tank sizes when introducing SCR and forming a cartel and having defeat devices so that the AdBlue need not be topped up between services in cars in the USA all would have been well.

The Diesel Hybrids that were being developed and that VW / Audi were building factories for the manufacture of engines would be in full production.

Instead they had to do a 360 degree or 180 degree turn, screech to a halt and try and catch up with Petrol PHEV,s, MHEV,s and BEV,s. 

At least the EU keep allowing the German Manufacturers so also others to keep kicking the can down the road, or into the long grass. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, naster said:

There is a very sustainable future for diesel cars that is industry standard already with lorries today. HVO100 is renewable, requires zero mods, is approved by manufacturers and is 90% lower in emissions. But obviously this is not in line with authorities’ plan to electrify.

I watched a Guy Martin programme about energy and he mentioned HVO which I’d never heard of, but I’m sure he said it was around double the price of diesel.

If they can push for that even better, electric isn’t the answer to a questionable problem. 

More damage is done to the earth with the constant building houses on fields.

Hopefully one day someone high up will say it’s a population crisis more then anything else.

I’m going off on one, OP maybe a newer diesel isn’t the answer, but if you were to get one around my age you’ll be fine, based on my experience

• Like 1

Last year it was between 15p and perhaps 30-40p above regular diesel but that was for corporate customers with own tank on premises. Maybe my numbers are outdated.

There are plenty suppliers and customers for it, and the country has plenty waste vegetable oil.

Actually all vegetable oil becomes WVO.    It is only Fossil Fuel / Oil companies that disrupt markets, and governments that do not support the greener alternatives.

But than they rely on Fossil Fuel / Oil companies as sponsors, backers, back handers.

Screenshot 2024-02-17 14.26.10.png

I believe HVO’s produce about half as much particulates as diesel, so I guess cars with DPF’s would on average need a regen half as much as current diesel would?

In general HVO does seem good, but I still think hydrogen would be better way going forward, but for existing engines HVO seems the most sensible way.

My local council seems to be moving towards HVO for existing fleet, probably because it’s more expensive and they’re not paying for it 😂

• Like 1

Over here in Ireland, Skoda are giving HVO vouchers up to €500 value when a new diesel Skoda is purchased (https://www.skoda.ie/discover-skoda/hvo).  Its more or less the same price as B9 diesel here but its still not widely available.  It is an attractive option, given the immediate CO2 benefits as well as reducing fossil fuel dependency but it really only has environmental benefits if its fully traceable and can be proven to have no links to deforestation associated with palm oil.  Crown Oil in the UK and Neste in the Netherlands have documented and certified their sources.

As to the OP's question, my 2021 MY Superb regenerates the DPF every 275 to 340km.  I've used the DPF Monitor app to look more closely at this and can see that it can regenerate the DPF at idle and will resume an interrupted regeneration within a few minutes of a cold start.  No need for motorway runs to help regenerate the DPF although I suspect that it would be quicker and use less fuel to regenerate at a constant higher speed.

• Like 2

the egr cooler likes to leak coolant inside and to replace it on a DSG car is a very hard job,add 4x4 and is a nightmare.

Me and my friend wich is a very skilled Vag mechanic took us 9 hours.

The dpf with adblue is a good,mature sistem,with some care and propper driving won't give major issues.

I bought the car with 120k miles and DPF partially clogged.I managed to restore it easy enough with some propper driving and some Liqui Moly aditives.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Legacy said:

Over here in Ireland, Skoda are giving HVO vouchers up to €500 value when a new diesel Skoda is purchased (https://www.skoda.ie/discover-skoda/hvo).  Its more or less the same price as B9 diesel here but its still not widely available.  It is an attractive option, given the immediate CO2 benefits as well as reducing fossil fuel dependency but it really only has environmental benefits if its fully traceable and can be proven to have no links to deforestation associated with palm oil.  Crown Oil in the UK and Neste in the Netherlands have documented and certified their sources.

As to the OP's question, my 2021 MY Superb regenerates the DPF every 275 to 340km.  I've used the DPF Monitor app to look more closely at this and can see that it can regenerate the DPF at idle and will resume an interrupted regeneration within a few minutes of a cold start.  No need for motorway runs to help regenerate the DPF although I suspect that it would be quicker and use less fuel to regenerate at a constant higher speed.

yes , euro 6 diesel engines will regen at idle and the old way of taking the car for a blast up the motorway like you did in the past is not necessary and in most cases  a waste of time.

if the car is not ready to regen, then you cant force it to regen by going for a run at speed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, harrylime said:

Thanks to everyone who responded, I appreciate it.

Confusing I bet, what have you decided, or still pondering?

I’ve not seen anyone on here with issues, so I think you’ll be alright.

The superb is a great car, is petrol out of the question? Though I think I heard they even have something like a DPF.

When DPF’s were put on cars they should have been unmountable and easily cleaned, I think some French cars are like that, but it’s French cars so no thanks 

@Danoid Since 2018 to get the WLTP Certification and the required emissions VW Group need the petrols have a GPF .

We will see in the next year or 3 if they have more issues than the odd high revving and poor running & what replacing will cost on ones needing replaced.

Regens are different from with a GPF. 

image (2).webp

40 minutes ago, Danoid said:

Confusing I bet, what have you decided, or still pondering?

I’ve not seen anyone on here with issues, so I think you’ll be alright.

The superb is a great car, is petrol out of the question? Though I think I heard they even have something like a DPF.

When DPF’s were put on cars they should have been unmountable and easily cleaned, I think some French cars are like that, but it’s French cars so no thanks 

Still pondering, a petrol isn't out of the question, I need to do a couple of test drives, I think

What these cars should have had is a manual button for DPF cleaning, so when you know you’ll be on the motorway or dual carriageway for a while you press the button and it starts if needed.

Some vans have this now, which makes sense

• Haha 1