1.5 Tsi Power Cutting Out

Missph

I’m going to mention it up front, but print some stuff out to start waving in their face when they inevitably start saying there is nothing wrong with the car. I’d rather have evidence from others that the issue exists outside of myself, rather than say nothing on it. 

• Like 2

'They'  can have BBC Watch Dog running articles on programmes on Oil Users and they still deny there are issues while in other World Regions cars are recalled, people are compensated etc.

They have crap Software running in vehicles and sort out VW / Audi first and eventually might get around to Skoda / Seat. 

If the matter is not resolved so that the car is safe for you and passengers and the other road users, public.

Send your evidence or anecdotal evidence to the Department for Transport /DVSA, & VW HQ UK. 

• Like 2

Not sure that would help. The problem seems to occur when the engine rpm drops below some threshold ( 700rpm? ), either by slowing in high gear or possibly moving away from stationary on low throttle. Under these conditions, since the engine is still rotating, one would expect the anti-stall to kick in and restart the engine once the clutch is depressed. This seems to be ineffective on the 1.5tsi and the engine control system  just seems to 'put its hands in the air' and give up!. On the DSG version, it seems this can't happen, as the DSG will either change down or disenage the clutch to circumvent the rpm dropping below the limit.

• Like 1

The problem at the heart of all this discussion is that the 1.5tsi is a flawed engine design. Threads about all this started to appear in about 2018, and new threads keep appearing with new titles and new contributors; the observations, excuses and potential solutions have all cropped up before. Reading these posts is like Groundhog Day.

After a year or so, the issue was occasionally mentioned in dark corners of the motoring press, but the truth is that no publication wants to go hard on the subject because VAG will no longer use them for advertising, and no journo wants to upset the manufacturer or there will be no more freebie cars to use for 'long-term' tests and no more 'jollies'.

The unpredictable nature of the 'stalling' will eventually result in a death ......... if this hasn't already happened, with the accident being wrongly attributed to driver error. What is really needed is a t.v. drama documentary to finally expose the lies and obfuscation of VAG.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, logiclee said:

Is this happening on Evo2 Manuals as well?

Yes - it's been an issue for our car from the time it was delivered (23 reg). 

I trialled E5 and found no noticeable improvement in driving dynamics. 

We have owned a considerable number of cars, including many VAG products and find this manual Karoq 1.5 TSi to be prone to stalling and difficult to drive in traffic / at low speed. 

I'm not a fan of DSG, but we hugely regret our decision to opt for a new manual Karoq. 

The only positive for me is it has proved relatively frugal, although this in no way makes up for it's clear deficiencies. 

Frustratingly a friends manual 1.4 TSi Octavia is equally economical, but is a considerably more pleasant car to drive on a daily basis. 

MPG over first 20k miles:

Screenshot_20240501_220332_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7a620fa139198572b807a8faad65f264.jpg

Posted (edited)

We have a 6 year old manual Karoq, 15 month old Kamiq with DSG, both with 1.5TSI, neither exhibit any tendency to stall. Both run on E10 whenever we can get it.

Edited by sussamb

Hi sussamb,

Your lucky then, it doesn't happen that often but when it does it's usually on a busy roundabout or junction got it booked into Skoda at the end of the month.

Based on replies to this thread there certainy seems to be a variety of differing opinions of a 1.5 manual TSi Karoq! 

Its fair to say I'm not a fan. 

As suspected, Skoda have found nothing wrong with the car 😐 I’m now going to have to try and work out exactly what causes it to try and avoid those same actions (so as to avoid a future accident). Oh and never buy a Skoda again!

• Like 1
  • Crying 1

Hi Missph,

Likewise I don't hold up much hope after the conversation I had with them when booking the car in.

I get the impression from others that it is possibly staying in too high a gear and revs low when navigating a roundabout or approaching a junction.

@sussamb  So that others know, has the 6 year old manual 1.5tsi been in for the Safety Critical Recall that the DVSA called on some 1.5 TSI from that age and had the software update, or was your car not in the series of cars / engines that applied to? 

3 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

@sussamb  So that others know, has the 6 year old manual 1.5tsi been in for the Safety Critical Recall that the DVSA called on some 1.5 TSI from that age and had the software update, or was your car not in the series of cars / engines that applied to? 

My Karoq is less than a year old

@ken2  I know, which is why i am asking @sussamb that question.   

The reason being, the relevance or not of his experience.   

Your vehicle needs dealing with.  It took VW / Skoda long enough with the 'kangerooing' to even admit to issues.   

That is how they usually behave.  The Manufacturer i mean.   (& your car with an issue others are having and they always say 'driver error'. .) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

Never heard about it being acknowledged as a safety issue before. My previous car, 2019 Octavia with 1.5 engine was a pig to drive when cold and needed a heavy right foot to avoid the kangaroo style of driving. Other than that the car drove beautifully, powerful engine and fairly economical to run. Garage offered me the so called “fix” software update. Sadly the car was never the same again, engine was flat, fuel economy permanently dropped by 10% too. They denied that this was anything to do with the update. My own car needs to go back into the garage too but I know they won’t really do anything about it. All they seem to do is let a salesman drive your car for a day or so to see if they experience the same issue.

• Like 1

@AllanDJ They maybe never needed to manipulate the Mk3 Octavia 1.5 TSI for WLTP certification in the same way as others, or maybe the persuaded the DVSA as they do try to, No issues. 

It was not all vehicles, dependent on manufacture dates maybe.   Likely just they denied issues.  

Those without issue are lucky.   That does not help those that do.

Never let VW Group get away with denial when there is evidence of issues.  Denial from Dealerships as well.   They all do that, and the NEVER HEARD OF THAT BEFORE.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 2.38.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-02 2.38.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-02 2.39.46 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-02 2.40.22 PM.png

"Never heard about it being acknowledged as a safety issue before. "

Quite - this is because VAG/Skoda have a very good PR department and, as I said a couple of posts ago, the press and journalists don't want to rattle their bars.

There was a brief early reference to trouble in this 2018 review from the Daily Telegraph .......

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/skoda-karoq-smallest-czech-suv-long-term-test/

"........ And there's also an unpleasant emissions 'hole' in the engine fuel/ignition timing map just when you start off. Failure to rev it enough and the turbo gives up on you and the Karoq stumbles and staggers out of a junction in front of the oncoming Scania."

Very little else was written about the issue, though there was a piece on Honest John's website in about 2020 .........

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/advice/owning-advice/15-tsi-engine-issues/

I am just so surprised to learn that the problems are ongoing - that's 6 years now! It was said, a few years ago, that insufficient attention was being paid to the deficiencies of the 1.5tsi engine because VAG's engineering priority had shifted to EVs. The fact that so many punters are still buying the 1.5tsi is a great tribute to their PR folks' ability to keep a lid on the truth.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ken2 said:

Hi chieflordy,

Are you getting anything done about it.

I am sorry to say but unless I can replicate the issue then I think my chances of success at the dealers are very low. If I have some time on my hands I might spend some time experimenting like the person did on the TROC forum I quoted on the first page. For now I have been making a conscious effort to change my driving and keep the revs up by changing down on the approach to hazards. Interested to hear how you get on later this month, I hope I am wrong and they take it seriously. I suspect it must be a software issue, ideally you want to be able to take a member of staff from the garage out with you, and be able to replicate the issue to them. Ie, certain gear, slow down on approach to hazard and get it to cut out on demand whilst the car is slowing but still moving. If I could do that I would be booking it in like a flash! 

18 hours ago, Ootohere said:

Nope

1 hour ago, chieflordy said:

I am sorry to say but unless I can replicate the issue then I think my chances of success at the dealers are very low. If I have some time on my hands I might spend some time experimenting like the person did on the TROC forum I quoted on the first page. For now I have been making a conscious effort to change my driving and keep the revs up by changing down on the approach to hazards. Interested to hear how you get on later this month, I hope I am wrong and they take it seriously. I suspect it must be a software issue, ideally you want to be able to take a member of staff from the garage out with you, and be able to replicate the issue to them. Ie, certain gear, slow down on approach to hazard and get it to cut out on demand whilst the car is slowing but still moving. If I could do that I would be booking it in like a flash! 

I have been trying the same for the past week or so, then a couple of days ago it cut out again on a roundabout and I feel I was in to high a gear for the revs.