VRS TSi 2.0 Which Fuel?

Hi everyone, I haven’t posted here for sometime. I bought my first Skoda in 2017. A 2.0 diesel Superb. And I’ve had diesel cars for as long as I can remember. The car has never let me down, in seven years and 90,000 miles. It’s just chime for a change. The only regret I ever had was not investing in something, a little bit, more powerful and a little bit more fun to drive. As a result, I pulled the trigger on a new petrol VRS. Forgive me, I have searched the forum. I’m trying to discover if it is suggested that my new car should run on premium unleaded or just the regular stuff. When working out what my additional cost will be, I’m well aware that I will no longer be getting 50 mpg+. I am comfortable with that, I just don’t know if it’s actually even worse than I thought because of having to buy posh petrol!?  UK based.   Cheers. 

Edited by jimcallaghan

Normally use bog standard supermarket stuff.

I'm not paying a premium of 98/99 when just running around local, I can't afford to thanks to HMRC taxing me hard on my pension,so I take some tax back by using 95. 

I'll just use Petrol Prices app, find the best price in the area, Jet in Godalming is pretty good, Texaco changes price more often than a local girl changes her knickers.

JS is middle of the lot, they seem to be upto their old pricing games again. Don't have a Tesco fuel station. Shell & BP are shysters. 

I find the e5 fuel tends to net a few more mpg. I guess it’s got 5% more petrol in it, so it ought to. 

In my opinion, and  purely considering price, if the premium fuel is less than 10p a litre more than the standard e10, then it costs about the same to use it once you factor in the increase in mpg, you might feel the throttle is more responsive too and it may produce more power, but that’s likely to be subjective if you can notice such a difference. 

Tesco 99 e5 tends to be less than 10p more a litre than the regular e10 95. 

• Like 3

In the UK it is 97 or 99 octane minimum ron not 98/99 and E5

Up to 5% bio ethanol, but it might have 0% bio.      E10 might have up to 10 bio-ethanol.  It might have much less and it is 95 octane minimum.    The distribution around the UK is not all the same for E5 or E10 and what amount of Bio different brands have and this includes with Tesco momentum 99 or Sainsbury E5 super unleaded 97.     Good idea if people actually have an idea what they are buying from whom. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dw118 said:

Only ever used Shell V power , the shell go app helps , never look at the price 😅

Aren't you lucky to be in the situation where money doesn't matter! 🙄

2 hours ago, Dw118 said:

Only ever used Shell V power , the shell go app helps , never look at the price 😅

My question isn't about what fuel you choose to buy - it's if there's a suggestion from Skoda or other qualified parties that tells me which way we ought to go with this. I need to establish If it's the case that you buy V-Power because the marketing & power of TV advertising dragged you in - or if you buy it as Skoda advise that's what we all ought to be doing - regardless of the cost. Thanks.

VW recommend Premium Unleaded for the Golf GTI though the fuel filler on my VRS indicates standard 95 is ok. I've been alternating between tankfuls of 95 and Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V Power. I don't do that many miles at the moment but an extra 10p or more per litre would be a consideration if I did.

Fuel Frequently Asked Questions | Volkswagen UK

• Like 1

If you've bought a VRS and want to drive it like a VRS then, as posted before. - ". ..  however for the GTI and R models we recommend super-unleaded (98RON)". - https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/need-help/need-help-faqs/fuel.html

If you have any diesel I pray you put in something like, but not necessarily, Shell V Power diesel for the sake of the minor improvement for those on the road and on the pavements, a quick gear drop and jump on the accelerator and look in your mirrors ought to show you the difference between ordinary and "clean" type diesel.

For anyone interested in the 97/99 octane petrols with higher additives. - petrol.pdf

Aren't we all lucky to be able to have any car(s) and afford to own and drive them and put any fuel in them. 

Edited by nta16
bolded sentence instead of word.

5 hours ago, jimcallaghan said:

My question isn't about what fuel you choose to buy - it's if there's a suggestion from Skoda or other qualified parties that tells me which way we ought to go with this. I need to establish If it's the case that you buy V-Power because the marketing & power of TV advertising dragged you in - or if you buy it as Skoda advise that's what we all ought to be doing - regardless of the cost. Thanks.

Your fuel flap will have a sticker that most probably says 95 Ron minimum. Using fuel of a higher Ron will most likely give benefits to performance and consumption.

• Like 1

From 2023/06 Superb Owner's Manual (issue date 19.6.2023) - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

njnnjn.jpg.ca253efaff20a819086287db2d06a5b4.jpg

Ask the seller to open the fuel flap and take a photo of that, and if it's from a garage or Dealership "sales" man then as some are so lazy and you can't trust them as far as you could throw them a second photo that shows the car's model and VRS badges and open fuel flap to make sure they got the correct model.

Edited by nta16
spelling

4 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Mine isn't going to get any 97/99 stuff, it's far too expensive for the minimal "benefits".

That's your choice with your "MY23 Red, RS, with a few bits..." you could have also saved money with buying a different level of model or different make and model of car, or not have a car, aren't you lucky to have those choices and the money to enable those choices and have such good pensions to pay so much tax, and good looking too, you've got the moon on a stick.  😊

Which petrol pricing lot do you use, the one my wife uses, with the posh bloke from very old Top Gear, by the time she gets the email the prices are out-of-date?

• Like 1

"Just" £28k pension, my heart bleeds for you.

My 2015 vRS 2.0 TSI ran on Momentum 99 pretty much exclusively.  I've read lots of people saying they don't notice a difference if they run on 95.  While my vRS certainly ran okay on 95, I certainly felt it ran better on 99, particularly when giving it the beans.

Gaz

• Like 1

Whether 97/98/99 gives any performance benefit is down to whether the ECU has mapping to take advantage of the higher octane and lower knock.

I've had 4 VAG cars (2x S4, RS4 & O3 L&K) which both benefitted from better performance and better mpg when using 97/98/99 - better mpg by around 5% compared to 95.

So in my experience if the criteria is cost then 97/98/99 needs to be no more than 5% more expensive than 95, but if the criteria is performance and the 2.0TSI has mapping for 97/98/99 (my 1.8TSI Octavia 3 definitely does have the mapping so I think likely that the 2.0TSI will) then 97/98/99 would be the choice IMHO.

Just my £0.02

• Like 1

@TheWanderer I suspected you might be the type to suddenly have a good humour slip but gave you the benefit of doubt and thought you might go with the flow, sarcasm might be s the lowest form of wit but wit is wit, and do you mean you don't think you're good looking, your photo looks good.  Or do you mean you can dish out stuff but not take it yourself.

I'm sorry for you that your circumstances have changed but don't expect too much sympathy from everyone with figures like £85K+ and £28K pension, I don't work for HMRC so don't take that out on me.

I've known someone who's whole pension went overboard and people whose mum's had dementia and my neighbours with dementia and my neighbour who moved in 8 years ago with his wife already years into early onset dementia and as he recently had a stroke I, in turn with someone else drive him to the care/nursing home to take his wife out for a drive, something he previous did EVERYDAY at the same time from home with the rear windows down because the same music was played so loud.  So I Do have sympathy for you with your mum.

I can't take him in my car as for the third time in my life out of need/want I don't own a car - keep your 'air on with that.  😉

Give yourself, me and others a break - I was genuinely interested in where you get your petrol prices from if you want to answer that?

There's also the additional cleaning additives in the higher octane petrols which may give some medium or longer term benefits - but as always each to their own.

It's a bit like stop/start isn't great for saving fuel but does save on the emissions coming out when the vehicle is stationary, more noticeable when at a busy town/city junction - but I personally only generally use it at those times and deactivate it at other times, unless I think I might be stationary for a while in which case I reactivate it for Sod's Law seconds later be able to drive off.

14 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Whether 97/98/99 gives any performance benefit is down to whether the ECU has mapping to take advantage of the higher octane and lower knock.

It is done automatically via the knock sensor and has been the case for 30 odd years since 3D mapping became the norm.

Higher compression ratios require higher octane fuel but will run with less power on lower grade fuels thanks to the knock sensor and 3D mapping, basic lower powered models sold globally where many countries have lower octane fuels are unlikely to have high compression ratios and will not show any benefit from higher octane fuels, high powered models like the VRS will.

Any turbocharged engine will have higher effective compression when on boost so it can be that the exact same engine will have lower and higher powered variants, one which will show no benefit from higher octane the other which will which comes back to your statement about the mapping.

On 25/02/2024 at 21:34, Benjybobs said:

find the e5 fuel tends to net a few more mpg. I guess it’s got 5% more petrol in it, so it ought to. 

Thats clever stuff, so you can fill a 60 litre tank with 63 litres of E5 carburant and get more range as well!

The cheapest shown by Petrol Prices app or if I'm out doing the occasional grocery shop then:

JS, Jet, Texaco, Co-Op, Morrisons & Tesco (if on holiday or en-route).

Definitely not Shell or BP as they're too expensive as a rule. 

Note to J.R: I don't know why you keep bothering I've blocked you for you trolling and nastiness sentiments echoed by several other members. 

Edited by TheWanderer

44 minutes ago, J.R. said:

It is done automatically via the knock sensor and has been the case for 30 odd years since 3D mapping became the norm.

Only if the ECU mapping includes timing backoff that takes advantage of the higher octane, I've owned several cars where the use of 97/98/99 made no difference whatsoever to performance, because the ECU mapping did not allow sufficient change in the ignition timing to get any advantage.

49 minutes ago, nta16 said:

There's also the additional cleaning additives in the higher octane petrols which may give some medium or longer term benefits - but as always each to their own.

Agreed.

• Thanks 1