My Felicia has a broken windshield wiper

I removed the 5th door panel, hear as it was.

t4HGugV.jpg

An attempt to temporary fix with JB Weld glue failed, the thread was almost damaged and nothing could be done

im2PLCg.jpg

plus as you can se  in the bottom of the axis a part from the shell it broke.

2RPMaEH.jpg

So bye-bye rear windshield wiper motor.

On 10/03/2024 at 10:09, Thefeliciahacker said:

if you have vandalism coverage ITS FREE

I didn't found it broken, i had to call the insurance agent to see it (delay) plus since i start removing bolts etc the whole procedure was cancelled.

7 hours ago, nta16 said:

Or - my choice - blank off and seal the hole and forget about a rear wiper loads of cars didn't have them

That was my electrician said, thus you save money from new motor, no need to buy a 3rd blade, plus the kids won't find any more anything there to bend.

We don't have rain often here and very rare i used the rear windscreen wiper plus i wasn't satisfied because many times i had to clear with paper-towel the corners of the windscreen to see clear.

Parking with reverse could be a big issue but i have the rear camera and i can see 180 degrees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

That was my electrician said, thus you save money from new motor, no need to buy a 3rd blade, plus the kids won't find any more anything there to bend.

We don't have rain often here and very rare i used the rear windscreen wiper plus i wasn't satisfied because many times i had to clear with paper-towel the corners of the windscreen to see clear.

Parking with reverse could be a big issue but i have the rear camera and i can see 180 degrees.

You have to be jocking? You spend 500 euros on KONI dampers and you are not willing to spend 50 on a SAFETY critical item mandated by LAW

Just buy a new motor and be done with it. 

1 hour ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

I didn't found it broken, i had to call the insurance agent to see it (delay) plus since i start removing bolts etc the whole procedure was cancelled.

This is called vandalism, "φθορά ξένης περιουσίας" make a declaration for the inscurance company and submit a suing document torwards unknown "μήνυση κατά αγνώστου", then the inscurance company is obligated to repay you, and ofc for 50 euros why wouldnt they, except if you have a deffering value set

Many cars have no rear windscreen wiper due to vandalism, some as you know don't have from the factory (sedan).

The cost for the sue is 100 euros, keep in mind that i am working (no time for waisting) and i have a family to take care, you don't.

New item does not solve the "vandalism by investors" problem and the VIKA isn't a guarantee brand for motor.

3 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Never rely on just parking sensors and cameras as accidents still happen with these fitted as people get too reliant on them and too lazy to fully check the screen(s) or mirrors or if required get out of the vehicle and check behind (or in front if front camera) or have someone else, reliable, to help you.   Camera lenses also need to be kept clean for better quality images.

I'm sure many new to cars and driving now expect a button to wipe their bottoms for them, don't join that movement.  😒 

2 minutes ago, nta16 said:

too lazy to fully check the screen(s) or mirrors

In rain or wind no need to get out of the car now, behind me maybe a motorcycle parked and since the spaces here are very "tight" i can go back (reverse) without fear.

In my mirror-camera Topic i have posted relative photos (night and day), even with mirror's help and windscreen wiper functional i can not do what i do in City with my 180 degrees camera.

No sound sensors, i hate their repeated sound.

2 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

a SAFETY critical item mandated by LAW

Is it, was it, is the law retrospective?  In UK you can have vehicles without front wipers (in certain instances) let alone rear wipers.  It's important to keep all windows and mirrors reasonably clean and clear includes door windows and exterior mirrors but they don't have wipers and washers on them or most front lights and never rear lights that are very important.

As put many cars, even hatchbacks and estates (combi, "touring" as the German marques seem to call them) didn't use to have a rear wiper or washer and mirrors went heated drivers had to use their mobile electronics (their brains) and take on more personal responsibility for how they prepared and drove their vehicles and not rely on buttons in them to do all the work for them and not expect them to also take all responsibilities.  So many cars now covered in dirt with just wiper blades areas of clear windows and same for heavy snow, rear lights and number plates totally masked  - especially VAG diesels, no wonder black is the favoured paint colour for these models. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

UK you can have vehicles without front wipers (in certain instances) l

I remember the Max Power UK magazine, back in the 1999 i start buying it because i wanted to learn more about car modifications.

There i saw the only one front wiper, here is an example:

s-l1600.jpg

Yes they were coping some motorsports cars of the time I think same way as had their road cars with seat very low so many of them could barely see over the dash out of fashion rather than sporting need on a car already overweight (like the some/most of the VW offererings) and then installing loads of other weight for mods and must been seen-with fittings.

Just because it was something on a car in a magazine didn't always mean it was strictly, or loosely, road legal, note than cover doesn't look like it's on a UK road (perhaps I'm wrong) start of the "show" number plates, plates with wrong character spacing to try to say something, wrong, fonts, and colours and types and plate that "couldn't" be picked up on cameras.  😄  

Not all but many were just youngsters rebelling, with the use of their parents money often, and the attitudes of the boys and girls expressed in the magazine weren't the highest.  Some had fabulous cars many didn't.  My mate was on a suppliers stand at the NEC for a Max Power show and he said it was rammed all prices for parking and programs and everything else were higher than other shows (particularly the old-farts "classic" car shows there) yet the show goes were happy with the costs, he said many in their early middle and late 20s spending their patents money happily,  He said their was a stall selling gold necklace chain off the reel. 😆

Took me ages to work out what "pink or brown" might mean and I daren't ask.

I bought a Window Glass Cleaning (Squeegee Blade Wiper) just for the car, i will try it for few days.

I also have one spare (with sponge) in work and from time to time i was cleaning the rear windshield, i was never ''impressed'' from the cleaning of the factory wiper although i have to admit that is much larger than other cars.

I use waterless wash and wax (and a couple of microfibre clothes (which have to be washed (but fabric conditioner not used) at some point so not entirely waterless) over the rear window, (wiper arm and blade if fitted) high level brake lights, rear lights and number plate.  Rarely can I be arsed to clean the paint on the hatch door of my wife's Fabia as I had enough farting about cleaning cars to last me my lifetime.

I also clean the front and wing lights, front number plate too - and sometimes the door glasses and door mirrors too, rarely the body paintwork.  See and be seen.

None of this takes long and can be done in whatever stages whenever wanted or needed, just doing the front and rear lights and number plates makes the car look cleaner if that sort of thing is of the slightest worry.

• Like 1

In ancient Greece there was a wisdom, «Ουδέν κακόν αμιγές καλού»

translated is "there is no Bad that does not give rise to some Good" which means practically that when a bad thing happens (damage) it's a chance to improvise to make another good thing".

So i grab the chance and when i removed the wiper motor, i cleaned the area, opened another 2 draining holes (already had 2), put some insulation, close 2 holes from the licence's plate screws (i have magnetic now), take care some cables and put a new thicker nylon as protection behind the factory wooden 5th door cover (drives water drops to the holes).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I am without rear windscreen wiper for few weeks, i faced rain two times and to be honest my hand reached the lever by habit.

Yes, my car is 1% better looking and has 1% better aerodynamic 😄 compared to @Thefeliciahacker car plus i am one click lighter due to the motor-bracket absence so i can beat him (AGAIN) in acceleration and MPG 😁 but i miss that part and i think i am going to buy and install it soon.

• Kiss 1

Old people find it difficult to break habits.  😄

Having just seen your previous post, we have a similar saying here - "every cloud has a silver lining".

One thing that confused me? -

On 12/03/2024 at 09:02, D.FYLAKTOS said:

and put a new thicker nylon as protection behind the factory wooden 5th door cover (drives water drops to the holes).

5 hours ago, nta16 said:

and put a new thicker nylon as protection behind the factory wooden 5th door cover (drives water drops to the holes).

Here an example, it's behind this cover of the trunk door (aka 5th door here in GR)

https://d3bsbe39k8p2a0.cloudfront.net/images/product/6/9/2/4/0/28_1800x1255.JPG

097440623 VAG

cover for door inner panel
rear lid trim panel
(leatherette/cloth)

https://www.sbazar.cz/tsvoboda.51/detail/175072292-nova-tapeta-5dveri-skoda-felicia-seda-097440623

I put new nylon behind so any rain drops that may pass inside won't touch that wooden panel and will be driven to drain holes that the door has.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I can understand the nylon cover panel bit (whether it is or not) for the 5th door panel (hatch door in UK) but wooden relates to wood, from trees in UK.  Not having a go as I can barely speak or write English so can't manage a second language and have respect for those that can.  And I would never imagine that the cover panel would be so detailed, obviously from the days when VW were not so worried about distinguishing VW from Skoda so much to protect the father brand. 

11 hours ago, nta16 said:

I can understand the nylon cover panel bit (whether it is or not) for the 5th door panel (hatch door in UK) but wooden relates to wood,

There are holes in the 5th door (trunk) for the license plate, from the rear badge, maybe there is a leak from the rear windscreen wiper bolt, sometimes the trunk window gasket has a leak (it happened in me too) and water is collecting in the bottom that's why the factory opened 2 draining holes and put a parallelogram nylon cover behind that wooden panel to protect it.

Even the other 4 doors of the car have that nylon cover, i will post soon from mine to see it better.

Do you mean a plastic sheet on the inside of the door panels stuck to the door frame?

ETA: just for info, trunk is the American term, we call it the boot in UK.

Edited by nta16
spelling

6 hours ago, nta16 said:

Do you mean a plastic sheet on the inside of the door panels stuck to the door frame?

Yes, here it is mine.

PY-(2).jpg.e90a019cf8c59ca053a8db2886d617c7.jpg

PY-(1).jpg.8a7aef8b4efbf5514ef563340ea7d7ab.jpg

A characteristic example of what's happening here, the cars are parked as they should be and a moron raised the windscreen wipers, imagine this to happen some times more and the driver would have a problem as mine.

4 hours ago, nta16 said:

we call it the boot in UK.

We know about the term ''bonnet'' but we prefer the ''hood" when we speak about cars although we use the word "hood" when we speak about dress code. 😁

5 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

Where is the wiper 

Today was a nightmare, i have installed the new motor but with many difficulties, i will post photos soon.

• Thanks 1

Here is the Original (old) and the new VIKA (chinese)

-(1).thumb.jpg.f4770dcecfe7a9d33a32b05cf7e7f917.jpg-(2).thumb.jpg.39e48239ff51392e8d82cb10df13d030.jpg

As you can see there are some differences.

-(3).thumb.jpg.ce52f39699b97ef220631aa371031c59.jpg

It's not a big issue, i will reverse the plug and let's see how the new fits and works.

There are a few differences, that is how these Chinese copies tend to be, they or the car often need some modifications to get them fit properly or well but as long as they work (test the motor before trying to fit it) and they continue to work reasonably for a reasonable time you can accept it.  Some can work well for a long time, some faulty or don't work straight out of packaging or within minutes, hours, weeks or months of being fitted or actual work, it's all a bit of a gamble, quality testing and assurance seems to be a thing of the past with such items.

NOS if still around, or used refurbish or repaired original items can often be much better for performance and longevity - but then, not always.

Perhaps this will outlast the car. 😊

Edited by nta16
spelling

1 hour ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

I would buy the original tbh, it doesnt look high quality

https://www.autodoc.gr/magneti-marelli/13820850

165,13 € plus shipping

https://kritosparts.gr/Part/WIPER-MOTO-097858043/eG18097858043

196,02 €

I think you got the idea, who will spend so much for this item?

Nevertheless i have bought the VIKA and install it, the task wasn't easy because i had to work in the street, under the sun, lot of African dust, standing upright so much time with cars-trucks passing very close to me.

This is for you @Thefeliciahacker who believe that we mustn't have tools in the trunk but on the other hand ''do the things by your own".

IMGPM.jpg.1f81707ceffd5383aea2f72983ad3be6.jpg

Take a look how close the other vehicles were, one wrong step by me and...