Automatic change between standard and summer time ("daylight saving time")

In my previous Octavia, which was a Mk3 with an MIB1 Admundsen unit, you could set the clock to change automatically although it may be I had to code that in with VCDS originally (I don't remember now; it was a long time ago). My current car (Mk4 (2021), MIB3 Columbus) can only be switched manually. Not really a problem, but it bugs me to have to now go into the settings and change it manually when it was more advanced than that 10 years ago! Is there some long coding or adaption that can be made to the current cars so that the clock just switches itself automatically to the correct time every March and October?

1 hour ago, petecollier said:

In my previous Octavia, which was a Mk3 with an MIB1 Admundsen unit, you could set the clock to change automatically although it may be I had to code that in with VCDS originally (I don't remember now; it was a long time ago). My current car (Mk4 (2021), MIB3 Columbus) can only be switched manually. Not really a problem, but it bugs me to have to now go into the settings and change it manually when it was more advanced than that 10 years ago! Is there some long coding or adaption that can be made to the current cars so that the clock just switches itself automatically to the correct time every March and October?

I recall that there is a daylight-saving option in the date and time settings - I'll check later on but I would expect there to be on a modern "connected" vehicle.

20 minutes ago, spcdust said:

I recall that there is a daylight-saving option in the date and time settings - I'll check later on but I would expect there to be on a modern "connected" vehicle.

Yeah, I have the button to switch DST back and forth manually; It's more that I would have expected for there to NOT be a button and for the car to just do it. Perhaps it will just change itself at the end of the month and I will be pleasantly surprised - but if that's the case, why bother putting the button there in the first place?

I've had it checked on the previous car, have it checked on this car.

Has it done any time zone or GMT-BST-GMT time changes on its own, nope. It's yet another flaw in the infotainment system firmware(s).

4 hours ago, Felix2021 said:

It will change automatically.

If it’s not going to change automatically what’s the point of having GMT/BST settings 🤔

2 hours ago, BTandSid said:

If it’s not going to change automatically what’s the point of having GMT/BST settings 🤔

If you need to make a manual change then pressing a button to change the time by an hour is quicker than adjusting a clock.

Since the cars are on line I expect them to change time automatically from the phone signal.

1 hour ago, RobL50 said:

If you need to make a manual change then pressing a button to change the time by an hour is quicker than adjusting a clock.

Since the cars are on line I expect them to change time automatically from the phone signal.

You think that they would, wouldn't you? But mine has failed to adjust itself twice now, I'm not expecting it to put the clock forward 1h 00 at 0200 on the night of the 28th/29th March. 

I'll be utterly flabbergasted if it does. 

16 hours ago, RobL50 said:

AFAIK most modern cars will set their time based on GPS signals rather than mobile phone. That way the car is able to be in the correct time zone (with correct time) without any outside connectivity.

3 hours ago, Maxi24 said:

AFAIK most modern cars will set their time based on GPS signals rather than mobile phone. That way the car is able to be in the correct time zone (with correct time) without any outside connectivity.

I understood that GPS time is UTC and not any form of local time.  The satellite is broadcasting the time with no knowledge of where in the world it will be received.

A device using GPS time will need to apply local knowledge of the time zone and DST settings to display the local time.  This knowledge could come from:

• device settings eg the time zone and DST in the car's infotainmnet system
  • local calculations to determine the GPS position and hence time zone and use of the calendar to determine DST
  • An external system such as a phone signal to supply the time zone and DST information.

We will see what happens on Sunday week.

It would be interesting to know if the time and time zone change when a car is taken between the UK and France.  Mobile phones certainly adjust.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobL50 said:

It would be interesting to know if the time and time zone change when a car is taken between the UK and France.  Mobile phones certainly adjust.

It does not.

Been to France and back in the last couple of days - had to manually set the time zone and units for speed and distance.

8 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

It does not.

Been to France and back in the last couple of days - had to manually set the time zone and units for speed and distance.

On that basis it is not using the mobile phone signal or geographic location to set the time variables.

I just found this adaption while rummaging around the bits and bytes with an OBDeleven:

> Controller 5F (Multimedia)

> Adaption

> Summertime-automatic

> None / Manual / Europe / USA / Automatic

Mine was set to manual. I've changed it to Europe and will wait to see what happens at the end of the month. 

Tinker with OBDEleven at your peril. Unless you know what you're doing with it you could cause more problems than you started with.

Before you do anything with it make sure that you make a backup or make a physical note of what you're about to change and the before & after values. 

OK this one is pretty innocuous, but once you start having a look around it can snowball.. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Tinker with OBDEleven at your peril. Unless you know what you're doing with it you could cause more problems than you started with.

Before you do anything with it make sure that you make a backup or make a physical note of what you're about to change and the before & after values. 

OK this one is pretty innocuous, but once you start having a look around it can snowball.. 

Absolutely. Wise words indeed, and people would do well to heed them. The first thing I've always done with any of my cars is a full back up the clean factory setup before I change anything. I've used Ross Tech's offering until now, but they're still not able to handle the SFD protection (although I believe they're working on it). This particular car is my first time out with the ODB11 and, as with the VCDS, I've only made changes via the long coding and adaptations so they are fully logged and reversible. As goods as ODB11 does seem to be, I wouldn't touch its one-click "apps" with a bargepole. They don't record the changes they make, so God only knows what they do. I'm sure many or most work just fine, but doubtless some won't and you'll only find that out when it's too late.

9 hours ago, petecollier said:

I just found this adaption while rummaging around the bits and bytes with an OBDeleven:

> Controller 5F (Multimedia)

> Adaption

> Summertime-automatic

> None / Manual / Europe / USA / Automatic

Mine was set to manual. I've changed it to Europe and will wait to see what happens at the end of the month. 

I noticed this setting in OBDeleven, but I'm yet to try it.

I'm not sure how it would handle Australian Timezones and the state and territories that do and don't follow daylight savings.

In saying that I can't recall having to adjust the time. Off the top of my head I might have the clock adjust to RDS time - unless I'm thinking of another car.

Edited by aaaaplay

12 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

I noticed this setting in OBDeleven, but I'm yet to try it.

I'm not sure how it would handle Australian Timezones and the state and territories that do and don't follow daylight savings.

In saying that I can't recall having to adjust the time. Off the top of my head I might have the clock adjust to RDS time - unless I'm thinking of another car.

Backup everything before you tinker with any settings and then for Australia I'd suggest that you select Automatic as there are no other settings that are applicable to Australia or NZ.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Stonekeeper said:

My car is not a skoda but it gets it's time from GPS i have to push a button twice a year it's not a big deal.

But when you have a car with the setting and it should do it automatically without any further intervention and considering the price of the car, it should work.

2 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

But when you have a car with the setting and it should do it automatically without any further intervention and considering the price of the car, it should work.

Does it have both options "use gps" and ""automatic dst"?

If so don't select both?