Correct usage of DSG shift stick

I’ve just taken delivery of a 2019 SEL with a DSG transmission. 
it’s the first time I’ve owned a DSG car and so far, I’m loving it. 

I know this may seem like a trivial question, but I simply can’t find the answer online. 
When moving the gear shift stick from D back up to P, should this be done in one quick movement, or more slowly and methodically through N and R?

If I move it slowly, I’m noticing a a very subtle clonk as the stick reaches R but before P. Is this normal?

4 minutes ago, Stainesy said:

If I move it slowly, I’m noticing a a very subtle clonk as the stick reaches R but before P. Is this normal?

Well d'oh!!! You're changing from D into N, R and then P, and the car reacts, especially when you select R!

So, are you saying the movement should be swift? Straight from D to P, to avoid the car from reacting?
And that won’t harm the gearbox? 
As I said in my post, I’ve not owned a DSG car before, so I’m still getting used to the subtle differences 

1 hour ago, Stainesy said:

So, are you saying the movement should be swift? Straight from D to P, to avoid the car from reacting?
And that won’t harm the gearbox? 
As I said in my post, I’ve not owned a DSG car before, so I’m still getting used to the subtle differences 

What subtle differences?

The only time I change to P is when the car is fully stopped, handbrake on and then I move to P as I switch off the engine.

P (Park) engages a lock on the gearbox, you never want to do that with any momentum of the vehicle as you could damage the gearbox.

The keys won't remove if not in P.

So vehicle stopped, handbrake on and a direct single move from D to P. I don't pause at N, just move direct. I have never noticed any clonk.

• Like 3

The car should be stopped and the foot firmly on the foot brake.

The Hand / Parking Brake does not need to be applied before selecting P. 

Many vehicles have an E-brake now and it might not be applied before the shifter is in to P. 

• Like 2

I only use the handbrake when stopped/parked on a steep hill - as backup insurance for the park lock.

The only times I use P while on a journey are when a stop is going to be a long one (so I don't have to sit on the brake pedal and annoy the car behind) or when I'm stopped on a steep hill (when I also use the handbrake as mentioned above) - a good example is when sitting on the Leap Gate road at the traffic lights at West Ashton on the A350 for those who know the area.

I always move the selector swiftly from D to P, there's no need to move slowly.

• Like 2

I have no idea if the Octavia is the same as the Superb but TBH I tend to just leave Auto Hold enabled and I only ever go to P just before getting out of the car

image.png.8eac9aa6c163c672d161dd9cb54f16fe.png

Edited by Winston_Woof

'Autohold' is great. 

BUT,

for extended stops the Rear Brake Lights are on, and unless you are last in the traffic maybe not necessary and not how the UK Highway codes indicates you should use Brakes / Brake lights.

Just another thing where the EU and the UK have differences.   Like the EU / Type approval seemed to be OK with Cornering Fog lights, or Front Fog Lights that can be enabled to automatically come on when reverse is selected.   (Rather than a driver thinking, nothing coming, i am reversing and need more lights to the front to see where i have come from, best put Front Fog lights on. Or just putting the Full Beam on.) 

Lots of drivers have no idea that the Brake Lights are on with Autohold, not all VW Group cars are.  Or that the Fog Lights come on in Reverse because someone thought it a good idea to enable.  Yeti Drivers.

I thought they (the brake lights) were supposed to come on as well (same as with the footbrake) but TBH I've never noticed them shining on the car behind(even at night).

Hmmm maybe I should go out and check ;o)

2 hours ago, Rooted said:

'Autohold' is great. 

BUT,

for extended stops the Rear Brake Lights are on

2 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

I thought they (the brake lights) were supposed to come on as well (same as with the footbrake)

Seems to me you are both agreeing that the brake lights are on with Auto Hold?

With Skoda,s by 2016. Not necessarily with Seat, Audi or VW,s.  Several threads on that on the forum.   Ones asking how to code them out as well.   It is good if drivers know what lights are on when. 

15 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Seems to me you are both agreeing that the brake lights are on with Auto Hold?

yes & no but I dont recall them being on , will need to check ;o)

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

The only times I use P while on a journey are when a stop is going to be a long one

Understand what your saying and I think I do similar sometimes.  I was told once having the vehicle in P is a great way to damage the gearbox if someone bumps into you, no idea how true that is but if it broke the pawl in the DSG box I can get the thinking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aubrey said:

I was told once having the vehicle in P is a great way to damage the gearbox if someone bumps into you, no idea how true that is but if it broke the pawl in the DSG box I can get the thinking.

This is one of the reasons why you have a handbrake.

4 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

yes & no but I dont recall them being on , will need to check ;o)

and having been out to check? Yes they do stay on with the autohold engaged :)

I was always told apply brake, switch gearshifter to neutral (to take any load off the gearbox), handbrake on, foot off the brake, gearshifter straight to P. Probably a bit overkill as if you have your foot on the brake it won't be moving anyway.

I also switch to neutral at lights or any reasonable amount of time stopped for example, again probably overkill but as I do alot of short journeys I'm trying to get as much life out of the clutch packs as possible.

14 minutes ago, Dooge said:

get as much life out of the clutch packs as possible.

DSG clutches work in reverse to manual clutches. They get pushed by the mechatronics to engage as opposed to disengage. That's done so they fail safe. Far better to have no drive on hydraulic failure than both shafts and hence 2 gears both engaged together.

Therefore with your foot on the brake the clutch packs are as disengaged as they are in neutral and the gearbox side won't be turning either as the vehicle wouldn't be moving Add stop start to that and the engine flywheel side wouldn't be turning either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aubrey said:

DSG clutches work in reverse to manual clutches. They get pushed by the mechatronics to engage as opposed to disengage. That's done so they fail safe. Far better to have no drive on hydraulic failure than both shafts and hence 2 gears both engaged together.

Therefore with your foot on the brake the clutch packs are as disengaged as they are in neutral and the gearbox side won't be turning either as the vehicle wouldn't be moving Add stop start to that and the engine flywheel side wouldn't be turning either.

Nobody has ever explained that to me, thanks very much! 

I've noticed that after putting it into drive, if I let my foot off the brake or go to accelerate too quickly it jumps or stutters, like it's selected the wrong gear. It doesn't do this with start stop. I've never figured out why it does this but otherwise seems healthy and has been serviced on schedule.

11 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

shouldn't we call them finger brakes these days???

Not on the Octavia 3 which still has a proper manual handbrake not a complicated EPB (which can be a nightmare when replacing the rear brake pads).

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1