LED Sidelights fitted (With Xenons)

Finally managed it today. Thanks for the help Jon (jonny boy). Once I'd removed the ballast box and the front of the battery cover, it was very easy. The results are excellent. Only took about 10 minutes:

Picture001.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi I have xenons and I wanted to change the sidelights but I don't know how to. There's a cover on the driver's side lamp that i can't get round. Any chance you can put a quick guide up please?

A Rough Guide 'How to'

Near Side (Driver's)

If you look at the back of the headlights there is a clear plastic cover. Remove the two self tapping screws and the cover can then be unclipped and pushed forward (It wont come off) Then using a long flat bladed screwdiver, carefully prise the bulb holder from the headlight . You can just get your hand in to pull it off once its loose. Lift it out, pull out the bulb and replace with the new one. Simply push the holder back in the hole

The other side (Off side)

This is more difficult: On top of the ballast box is the power supply plug. Unplug this. Then undo the two self tappers and the ballast box can now be lifted out to one side With its cage. The battery box cover and front are now unclipped and the back of the headlight cover unclipped and pushed forward. Same procedure as for the drivers side and youre done. Put it all back together and there you go :thumbup:

Good luck:D

Chris

They look the dogs danglies mate.......... I'd like to have a go at this one myself. We had some LED sidelights in the IS200 but they blew every month or so. I've heard the units are a lot more reliable these days so i'll add it to my to-do list. :thumbup:

Cheers

Dave.

LED lights have a faster response time reducing the time taken for the lights to activate thus giving the person behind you more of a chance to stop, studies have shown it can results in an extra 10 metres for braking. Most of the car makers offer them as an option on their exec models.

They also have a much lower power consumption resulting in less load for the electrical system and hence better fuel economy (granted not a huge difference) and they also have a much longer life than regular bulbs.Oh and lastly they are brighter than standard bulbs!

Oh and they look great on the car!

Id imagine he want them to match the white of the xenons. They look great by the way.

Wont improve vision as side lights are for being seen rather than seeing. Dont see why they wouldnt be road legal.

Where did you get them from? seen cheap ones on ebay but want them to last.

Adam

Id imagine he want them to match the white of the xenons

Nail on the head mate

a few questions

why would you want LED side lights?

do they improve vision at all?

are they road legal?

not knocking them just curious

They look much better next to the xenons and a little brighter so improve seeabilty for other drivers

Are they legal? No idea.

Do I give a t.oss.....Er.....No!

Why did I fit them? Because I wanted to

Hope this answers your questions ;)

Finally managed it today. Thanks for the help Jon (jonny boy). Once I'd removed the ballast box and the front of the batterry cover' date=' it was very easy. The results are excellent. Only took about 10 minutes:

[img']http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c5/robbo51/Picture001.jpg[/img]

they look great. I want some!

What happens when you put the main beam on - do they step up in brightness?

D

Had my LED side lights fitted for over a year now.

Fitted them purely & simply because they look far better alongside the Xenons than any other bulb I fitted.

Cheers for the link :)

@D - nope they shouldn't change in brightness at all when you put your main lights (dipped/main beam) on.

I'm confused. when you put main beam on - where is the additional brightness coming from. I thought HID were only dipped - therfore the main beam must be the side lights?

I've HID on mine - had it 3 months and have yet to drive in the dark.

D

There is no additional light???? The sidelight bulbs are positoned just below the main beam (H7's). Dipped beam (Xenon Bulb and )reflector is on outer of this. Is this what youre asking??

EDIT:

headlight2.jpg

Yes, it makes sense now. So with HID Fabia's you've got 4 bulbs in total at the front:

sidelight bulb

dipped HID bulb

Main beam bulb

indicator

all my previous cars have had 3 bulbs:

sidelight/mainbeam bulb (twin fillament)

dipped bulb

indicator

Must look at them more closely in future LOL!

Cheers, D

all my previous cars have had 3 bulbs:

sidelight/mainbeam bulb (twin fillament)

dipped bulb

indicator

Must look at them more closely in future LOL!

Cheers' date=' D[/quote']

That seems slightly wrong to me. Usually twin filament bulbs are H4's which are dipped beam and main beam, you have a separate small bulb for side lights and then the indicators.

I'd have made a special trip out in the dark to try out my Xenons! Reckon thats what I'll be doing on the 1st of August when the wee black beasty becomes mine all mine!!!

That seems slightly wrong to me. Usually twin filament bulbs are H4's which are dipped beam and main beam' date=' you have a separate small bulb for side lights and then the indicators.

I'd have made a special trip out in the dark to try out my Xenons! Reckon thats what I'll be doing on the 1st of August when the wee black beasty becomes mine all mine!!![/quote']

That's probably the way they were - my memory is terrible! I just take the blown ones into the shop - and say I want a new one - then stick it back in!

Yes, I've considered the special outing - but TBH - I do 120 miles a day, and I can't be arsed! Although I will do before my first service (done 7.5k now) to see if I need to ask them to set them on the legal limit :-)

• 1 month later...