Fuel Economy

Chris

I have a 55 1.9 130, with 18K on the clock. I do a run to and from work through congesgion in town and on a frree moving A road - about 10 miles each way as well as about 1600 - 2000 miles / month on business trips (about 2 / week) and I average 44 mpg on avg. I dont hang about on motorways but find I actually get worse fuel consumption at 70 mph than 80-90 mph (not that I ever go over 70, you understand, I mean, I imagine I would get better consumption at these speeds). At over 100 - 110 MPH, the fuel consumption is (I hear) about 40 MPG - based on casual instant readings. On M25 and M1, where you can be stuck in a 40 -60 limit for miles, I can get 80 mpg over a few miles.

Tonight I tok it easy and drove smoothly on a 12 mile trip without any real stop start driving and got 51 mpg.

Is about 5 mpg worse on long fast runs in winter I have found - due to the winter fuel I believe.

Not bad for a car the size of a house.

This is good news, Hi I am a new member to these forums, and will be getting a Superb on Wednesday or Thursday this week, an 05 plate 1.9 TDI in Sahara Beige witht the 17" alloys on it in comfort spec. It will be used to transport customers to and from Airports in the UK, so to hear about these fuel consumption figures from people using the car on a daily basis, is very good news.

I'm only averaging about 43mpg at the moment (35 miles each way to work - 20 on motorway, rest on A and B roads in town). My personal record was 52mpg on a trip down to Southampton, and I get just over 500 miles to the tank. Manual PD130 with 19k miles. I'm sure I could get my average up to the high 40's if I didn't keep putting my foot down!

Sorry for the flood of posts, but my colleague has a 1.9 100 bhp passat, and after he filled up, the trip computer showed 760 miles of fuel! - possibly a bigger tank?

Does anyone know whether the "miles left" value - even on filling-up - changes depending upon the current average mpg value your car has ? I assumed it did and hence maybe he filled up after a particularly economical session (eg motorway) . 760 miles for 62 litres equates to approx 55/56 mpg. I imagine a 100 bhp passat driven carefully on a motorway journey may give better mileage than a 130 bhp model - any thoughts anyone ?

My 55 1.9Tdi130 (23k miles) shows on the trip about 53 mpg for a gently driven 7 mile commute - mix of A & B roads, plus a longish steep hill down . It gives approx 38 coming back as the traffic in the evening is more stop/start and the hill is against me ! Long motorway journeys (280 miles, say) at 75 give average 52/53.

This is good news, Hi I am a new member to these forums, and will be getting a Superb on Wednesday or Thursday this week, an 05 plate 1.9 TDI in Sahara Beige witht the 17" alloys on it in comfort spec. It will be used to transport customers to and from Airports in the UK, so to hear about these fuel consumption figures from people using the car on a daily basis, is very good news.

Sounds like yours will look like mine then mate!!

Welcome to Briskoda!!

I get around 600 miles out of a full tank dependant on driving styles.

I get 550 miles out of a tank on my 2.0 tdi (3000 miles on the clock). This is on a daily drive of 22 miles (15 motorway, 5 A roads at 50 mph and 2 in traffic).

On a longer motorway journey I got 600 miles and suspect the car would get more (however I won't know as I swap it in a weeks time).

Cheers

Baker21 how could anyones look like yours, it is very very very nice. Just out of interest and nothing to do with fuel consumption, what are the things on the side of your bumpers? are they side marker lights or something similar? I am looking forward to getting it now, at first it was more a business thing, and a need for a slightly smaller vehicle for some of my contract work, as traveling from Carlisle to Manchester Airport in an 8 seat Nissan Primastar 55 plate with one passenger was getting silly. So went out last Sunday looking for an Octavia at first, but saw this Superb and feel in love with it, the colour and wheels mainly. So went out in them both, and settled on the Superb. Good to have forums like this, as it always helps with those little niggles you have with new cars, when the dealer says ( THEY ALL DO THAT ).

On fill up my fuel computer shows 535 miles in a tank....I probably get just under 400 and around 39mpg, bear in mind I live in an Island with no motorways and plenty of start and stop.....unfortunately:confused:

I've got a 1.8T and on filling up the miles left shows 400miles this can easily be exceeded on a long motorway run, to date ive got nearly 500 miles from a tank this way. Normal around town and short runs takes it down to 350miles to 400miles (I can here the diesel drivers arses pinching now) but if you want to have fun and boot it and p*ss of a few boy racers in their Saxo's you'll be lucky to break the 300 mark (is that the diesel drivers fainting?) but this is the extreme and you'd have to do it on the whole tank of fuel.

Also it depends what else you want it for, I bought the 1.8T because I was told by a Skoda mechanic its the best engine they do when I owned a 2.0 Octavia but recently my wife and I have considered buying a caravan only to find that the whole Superb range can pull 1600kg's except mine even with it's 150bhp it can only pull 1300kg's which does limit you buying options, but maybe you not as sad as me!

Bryanp

On fill up my fuel computer shows 535 miles in a tank....I probably get just under 400 and around 39mpg, bear in mind I live in an Island with no motorways and plenty of start and stop.....unfortunately:confused:

Pretty well the same as me, 400 miles for just over

I get excellent economy from my PD130 Classic - now done 52k - on a trip to Austria in September last year my average over the 2,000 miles was 54.5 according to the onboard computer - this included high speed autobahn and winding hill climbs in Austria

My average at home pottering around is 51, whilst my best on a 50odd mile trip was 67!

Superb economy!

My 1.8T spends it's life on the motorway, mainly at 80, and does 40mpg with climatronic on 'ECON,' 38 on 'AUTO.'

Obviously it's less around town, but since I've had it the average is 38 - which I'm happy with for such a big car. No fancy petrol, just Tesco unleaded.

• 4 weeks later...
Why am i getting about 400-450 miles to a tank? I guess the stop start city driving and the overfueling chip really do make a difference.

:eek: My 1.9 Tiptronic does better than that!! I get 500 miles from a tank on mostly around town driving. I suspect it would more likely be the overfueling that's hitting it most.