If you are about to order a Yeti - things to think about

I've placed an order for a 1.2 TSI DSG, including a panoramic sunroof and a steel spare wheel. I've been told by Skoda that they cannot supply thes two options together, giving the following reason.

This engine (1.2TSI DSG) features a package which lowers the CO2 emissions of the car. This means that it does have some weight restrictions which it has to come in below in order to be within the boundaries of the emissions.

The combination of a panoramic sunroof and a spare wheel is too heavy for this vehicle.

This is a factory restriction, however there would be no reason why a spare wheel could not be put into the car locally.

Has anyone else been made aware of this restriction? I don't recall seeing it in the brochure.

Has anyone else been made aware of this restriction? I don't recall seeing it in the brochure.

Dealer is correct. This has been the case since the first Yeti. The 1,2 is very close to its weight limit to gain its CO2 rating. Most people order the sunroof and then let the dealer fit the sparewheel "on the side". Some charge the option price yet others are less forthcoming and charge the parts list rate which is over £250...

• 3 months later...

Hi folks, I'm just about to order a yeti elegance greenline and was wondering if anyone could answer the following?

What is the current order lead time?

Can anyone recommend a decent roof box?

Hi folks, I'm just about to order a yeti elegance greenline and was wondering if anyone could answer the following?

What is the current order lead time?

Can anyone recommend a decent roof box?

No idea on the lead time but roofbox wise then my recommendation, depending on the capacity your after, would be a Thule Ranger softbox.

6010721571_60bf1a7832_b.jpg

Like the fact it's easy to fit/remove and once at your accommodation you can just roll it up and stick it in the corner of a room.

TP

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No idea on the lead time but roofbox wise then my recommendation, depending on the capacity your after, would be a Thule Ranger softbox.

6010721571_60bf1a7832_b.jpg

Like the fact it's easy to fit/remove and once at your accommodation you can just roll it up and stick it in the corner of a room.

TP

sorry for not replying sooner, that looks perfect, many thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 3 months later...

Couple of quick questions for you all before I order mine - Heated windscreen. Never had one but like the idea. Car will be in garage or underground parking for a lot of it's time so is this an expensive option for the little use it will get or a godsend?

Also, hill hold control on a 1.2 DSG - yay or nay?

And are there any other cheap options worth considering? I'm tempted by silver roof rails!

In reply to Weyland - Heated windscreen is really aimed at folks who park outdoors all night, but even ones who stay late at the office may get a bit frosted by going home time in the winter months. Its also useful if you have a diesel which tends to take longer to produce enough hot air to defrost from the inside. I found with Fords that the fine wires were not completely invisible, and this is a bit of a downside. Hill hold is handy, but I think it might be standard with DSG anyway so don't pay extra. Silver roof rails - it's up to you, but I think they suit some colours better than others. They are at least made of substantial metal and aren't just a piece of thin metal covering.

In reply to Weyland - Heated windscreen, imho is well worth having, usefull at many times all year round, i have had it on my last three cars and would hate to be without it. Silver roof rails are just the standard black ones sprayed silver for extra ££s, i wouldn't bother with them. Hill hold is handy in a manual car although i have never had on my own cars but have experienced its use on others i have used, I have never had experience of it on an automatic, nor have i ever felt it would be an improvement. One addition i think is worthwhile is the spare wheel and interior rubber mats.

Hill hold on the DSG isnt (I think) an option, it comes as standard - but is not an available (nor necessary) with a manual.

It is actually very useful and puts right (IMHO) the only weakness of the DSG system compared with a 'standard' automatic. I have just sold my SEAT DSG (with no Hill hold) and now have the SKODA DSG (with hill-hold) and I consider it a great improvement.

I also went for a spare wheel in the boot BUT be aware that it takes up a lot of room that otherwise would be available for luggage. When I took delivery I was surprised/disappointed how much boot space I had lost by having a spare wheel. However, I just like the security of a spare wheel on board.

Edited by mikespike

Thanks for the replies. The spare is a difficult one - the Yeti will be a family car and I need the boot space so will probably have to go without.

How about the light assistance package? I'd only really want it for the auto dimming mirror, however maybe being that bit higher up means it isn't strictly required?

I think i'll go with the heated screen if it is effective as the Yeti will be on the drive overnight.

Thanks for the replies. The spare is a difficult one - the Yeti will be a family car and I need the boot space so will probably have to go without.

How about the light assistance package? I'd only really want it for the auto dimming mirror, however maybe being that bit higher up means it isn't strictly required?

I think i'll go with the heated screen if it is effective as the Yeti will be on the drive overnight.

Get the spare. 100% definitely get the spare. Then you take it out (very easy with the right Torx screwdriver) and you have it as a backup. It is infinitely cheaper to have it from order (and better for resale value in the future) than to try and source all the bits at a later date to retrofit one. The gunk you squirt in are really useless for 9 out of 10 punctures and you also ruin the tyre 9 times out of 10 by using it, as tyre companies don't want to repair/clean the tyre.

The mirror is mentioned in post 1. So make of that what you want. Personally I found mirrors mounted too low create HUGE blindspots.

I went for a few hundred miles in Rockhopper's Yeti and only noticed the heated screen on the way back when the light hit it a certain way. So again for 9 out of 10 times (you knew I was going to say that didn't you!?) you will never notice it. And when you do your eyes focus on the road and the wires are totally invisible. You have to focus on the glass to see them and erm, then, well obviously the road is out of focus, so one does not drive that way!

Get the spare. 100% definitely get the spare. Then you take it out (very easy with the right Torx screwdriver) and you have it as a backup.

Hmm - might just be me - but I'm not sure I would get a lot of comfort (if I had a puncture at the side of the road ) by reflecting that my spare wheel was kept in the garage back home. Kinda defeats the object I would have thought?

• Like 1

Hmm - might just be me - but I'm not sure I would get a lot of comfort (if I had a puncture at the side of the road ) by reflecting that my spare wheel was kept in the garage back home. Kinda defeats the object I would have thought?

I though the same, but then I thought it does make sense if you do most of your mileage within a few miles of home and with a means of getting the spare brought to you...

I have both; spare and gunk repair kit. Bought the car with the spare and the repair kit from e-bay but the better VW Transporter kit. Do quite a few miles and like to cover as many bases as possible :giggle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Audi-VW-Skoda-seat-tyre-inflator-compressor-kit-plus-repair-fluid-/120998670478?pt=UK_Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item1c2c15308e

So far all factory options (see signature box) specified on our Yeti have proved their worth in one way or another, even if that's just piece of mind.

TP

I though the same, but then I thought it does make sense if you do most of your mileage within a few miles of home and with a means of getting the spare brought to you...

That is my reasoning. When you are near home it is not a big deal to wait, etc. But in the middle of France, at night on a Sunday, in the rain with a tyre totally schredded to bits with NOTHING to put on the car except some gunk (which is useless on a schredded tyre), I know which I'd rather have with me when I'm that far from home...

As TP mentioned, I also use all the options I specified. Well ok, I did tick every box apart from silver roof rails- doesn't look right with white in my opinion or Anapama wheels-they have grown in me.

Heated windscreen is great in the damp weather we have had recently to stop the fogging up of the windscreen.

I've used the spare a couple of times in the first 4 months of ownership. I always carry a spare & in the winter a full size spare.

I use all the other 'toys' all the time. I spend several hours a day in my car. It is my office.

I can't think of any option I have not used very recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the spare. 100% definitely get the spare. Then you take it out (very easy with the right Torx screwdriver) and you have it as a backup. It is infinitely cheaper to have it from order (and better for resale value in the future) than to try and source all the bits at a later date to retrofit one. The gunk you squirt in are really useless for 9 out of 10 punctures and you also ruin the tyre 9 times out of 10 by using it, as tyre companies don't want to repair/clean the tyre.

Have to disagree with nine million man here! And I suspect that he knew I would!!

I have had two punctures in 48000 miles and two-and-a-half years of joyous Yeti travel, and on both occasions the gunk has been absolutely marvellous. There's been no lugging ruddy great dirty peed-upon tyres around, no struggling with jacks, no filth that you cannot get clean on your hands afterwards, no complete unpacking of the entire contents of the boot to access the spare in the dark wet night time cold, and hen repacking it. My Yeti is often packed to the plimsoll line with heavy pa kit and guitars and amplifiers - not the sort of stuff to have sat in the rain for long, or offloaded onto dung mud leaves and other such rural detritus.

Nope - for me the gunk has been clean, quick, effective, safe,dry, easy, pleasant, and a doddle to use. Not had any hassles getting the tyres sorted after. National tyres, the local depot, have been okay with it.

So, there we have a differing take on it.

Gunk would have been useless on my last tyre incident - i just like the security of having that spare available now. Its a shame as Id love to benefit from the added depth in the boot - particulalrly when we go off on a road trip in her. :(

Have to disagree with nine million man here! And I suspect that he knew I would!!

I have had two punctures in 48000 miles and two-and-a-half years of joyous Yeti travel, and on both occasions the gunk has been absolutely marvellous. There's been no lugging ruddy great dirty peed-upon tyres around, no struggling with jacks, no filth that you cannot get clean on your hands afterwards, no complete unpacking of the entire contents of the boot to access the spare in the dark wet night time cold, and hen repacking it. My Yeti is often packed to the plimsoll line with heavy pa kit and guitars and amplifiers - not the sort of stuff to have sat in the rain for long, or offloaded onto dung mud leaves and other such rural detritus.

Nope - for me the gunk has been clean, quick, effective, safe,dry, easy, pleasant, and a doddle to use. Not had any hassles getting the tyres sorted after. National tyres, the local depot, have been okay with it.

So, there we have a differing take on it.

LOL... which was fine in the two incidents you had that were both gunk-able. Had your tyre had but a gash of an inch or so or had it been scredded by a rock you'd have been stranded on both ocasions. You were just lucky in that both times it was just a tiny hole that the gunk could (temporarily) fill.

I grant you some tyre companies fix gunked wheels. Some I do know don't. Again not a risk I'm willing to take in the middle of France or anywhere. I also agree that yes most of the time the gunk does not leak out, but again I've heard from a few people that had this happen and they had some nasty gunk all down the sides of the their car's bodywork - again something I'd rather avoid.

So all in all I still feel the sparewheel is the best option to cover ALL scenarios. Gunk only protects you for a some.

I asked my local tyre fitter about gunk's effect on the wheel. He said punctures could be repaired if you got to it quick enough. I presume this means leaving it in the boot while you finish your holiday is likely to mean a new tyre!

Hill hold on the DSG isnt (I think) an option, it comes as standard - but is not an available (nor necessary) with a manual.

Thats not correct HHC is available with a manual box and it even comes on a Citigo.

Have been playing with it the last few days and its a good tool, but I would personally prefer to use the handbrake unless I know I am only stopping for a few seconds.

Sitting with ones foot on the footbrake and the clutch depressed for anything longer than a few seconds is bad practise in my book.

I'm not sure if modern clutch thrust bearings need to be cared for in the same way that they did in the old days, perhaps its now ok to ride the pedal for ages at a time.

One doesn't need to press the clutch if in neutral; just the footbrake.

Yes I realise that, I was referring to the practise of sitting in gear with the clutch depressed and the foot brake held down as well.

HHC only seems to work in gear.

As far as I can tell the way to use it is neutral & handbrake.

Then foot on brake, slip in to D (or first gear). This applies the HHC, which you can feel. Release handbrake. Then take foot off brake and HHC holds the brakes for 2 seconds, giving you plenty of time to move foot from brake to throttle.

I don't sit with foot on brake with DSG in D. I can feel the drag, specially when the engine is cold. Change the units to l/100km and you can see the effect on your fuel consumption of all sorts of things as it changes to l/hour when stationary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk