Dash Cams

total newbie to dashcams here and trying to decide between the Mobius and the 0801. Small and discreet is what I'm after as long as its reliable and the quality is OK. Both of these seem to have advantages and disadvantages in these areas. GPS isnt an issue and with a heated screen it might be a problem anyway.

Is there anything to choose between them? Whats the favourite these days?

Many thanks

The replacement new version for 0801 is out now, the 0803 and goes above 1080p. I would be considering it personally.

I swapped some emails with the guys at the Carcamerashop and decided on an 0801 in the end. I'm sure either would be great but I really like the neat fitting on these and the G-sensor and GPS is a bonus. They have had issues with the 0803 and arent selling it yet so I decided to hold off. Ultimately I want a 2nd for SWMBOs car so if I get on well with this and the issues with the 0803 are resolved then that might go in my new car when it arrives and the 0801 will be regulated for light duties ;)

Thanks for the tips.

Slightly off the current track, the only thing about the Mobius that annoys me is the cable sticking out of the back of it being visible and the stress that seemingly gets placed on the usb plug if you keep the wire taut to avoid too much showing.  I solved that for £2 by ordering and fitting two of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400543663916 in series around the camera so the cable goes in from the front but to the side.  By wrapping the cable around the thread of the mount I can keep the cable out of sight and out of the viewing frame, and all behind the mirror.

Hopefully the photos will help show what I mean.  Maybe this will appeal to others as equally ocd about these things as me!

Adam

post-13134-0-68293900-1401912633_thumb.jpg

post-13134-0-11401200-1401912664_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I swapped some emails with the guys at the Carcamerashop and decided on an 0801 in the end. I'm sure either would be great but I really like the neat fitting on these and the G-sensor and GPS is a bonus. They have had issues with the 0803 and arent selling it yet so I decided to hold off. Ultimately I want a 2nd for SWMBOs car so if I get on well with this and the issues with the 0803 are resolved then that might go in my new car when it arrives and the 0801 will be regulated for light duties ;)

Thanks for the tips.

Vectra1 has just got the 0803, he is our test monkey! 

monkeys-test-hyundai-elantra.jpg

• Like 1

Cannot use the 1280 or whatever quality it is. Playback is too jumpy.

1080 is good though.

• Like 1

Cannot use the 1280 or whatever quality it is. Playback is too jumpy.

1080 is good though.

What card are you using and what WDR setting on the 1280 odd setting? 

Mini 0801 arrived today and immediately slapped it into the Merc. Dead easy to hide behind the mirror and the lovely soft plastics inside mean its simple to tuck the cable away out of sight in seconds. Took a couple of mins to sort out the settings and then off for a test drive with a 1gb spare card I had lying around.

Damn, I'm impressed. The Youtube clips simply do not do the picture quality justice - it it incredible. Sound is pretty good given I had the roof down and stereo on as well. Think I'm going to have be careful what I say in the car in case I ever need to play it back. Only issue seems to be the common timestamp problem that despite setting it several times its 6 hours out all the time :(

Just need some editing software now. Already had a great example of a moron in an X5 entering a roundabout very dangerously but had it set to 1 min recording intervals and it is captured in the last 2 secs of the clip, so need to find a way to join clips seamlessly. I believe Techmoan recommends some freeware so will check it out. Any other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks for the advice - going to look at ordering another for SWMBO now.

Mini 0801 arrived today and immediately slapped it into the Merc. Dead easy to hide behind the mirror and the lovely soft plastics inside mean its simple to tuck the cable away out of sight in seconds. Took a couple of mins to sort out the settings and then off for a test drive with a 1gb spare card I had lying around.

Damn, I'm impressed. The Youtube clips simply do not do the picture quality justice - it it incredible. Sound is pretty good given I had the roof down and stereo on as well. Think I'm going to have be careful what I say in the car in case I ever need to play it back. Only issue seems to be the common timestamp problem that despite setting it several times its 6 hours out all the time :(

Just need some editing software now. Already had a great example of a moron in an X5 entering a roundabout very dangerously but had it set to 1 min recording intervals and it is captured in the last 2 secs of the clip, so need to find a way to join clips seamlessly. I believe Techmoan recommends some freeware so will check it out. Any other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks for the advice - going to look at ordering another for SWMBO now.

Happy days, have they not sorted time thing out in a firmware update? If you want sound can be disabled and just record video. If you get one for SWMBO fit it and don't tell her  :devil: Then every so often get the footage and have a flick through. 

• Like 1

SanDisk 32gb Micro Class 10.

Not too sure on thr wdr settings.

That's generally what I run as they are so cheap! The red/grey ones. Most cameras recommend specifically lower class cards for compatibility..... But if it works it works so shouldn't be that. Reviewers have had smooth footage at all settings that I have seen. WDR only really does anything at night, generally speaking youd get better footage in the day with it off totally and file size would be a little smaller.  

• Like 1

Sorted the time issue - in the time setup menu is a TINY little field that sets a +/- time zone, which I couldnt see was set to +6hrs, so every time I set the time it was thinking we were 6hrs ahead of the clock time  :swear:  I think I'll just disable sound as well - its just annoying on the playback.

Registrator is stupidly easy and good though - just need to find the option for adding the speed info as an overlay on a clip so I dont have to have it stamped on the video. I dont like the idea of the lag between actual vs GPS recorded speed being shown on the clip. Todays clip still showed me doing 20mph while I was stationery, which might be a problem in the event of an accident.

Need a 2nd one now so might grab an 0803 and put this one in SWMBOs truck. I just know what will happen next week if I dont get one for both cars...

• Like 1

If you're buying a card for the mini 0801, can recommend this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009HPFV3U/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A class 10 Transcend would only record for 3 or 4 minutes before stopping. No problems with a class 6 Samsung.

• Like 1

Had counterfeit cards before and none of them had the capacity they were supposed to have.

This one has it.

• Like 1

Had counterfeit cards before and none of them had the capacity they were supposed to have.

This one has it.

Happy days, their feedback didn't seem to have a hint of it. 

• Like 1

Anyone tried Mi Witness HD (best buy per Sunday Times 19.05.2013). Not shown in dashcamtalk. According to ST the price £250

I bought a 'best buy' reviewed camera before which was nearly £200 and I was so furious with the piece of crap it was and the utter lies of review, I crushed it under the drive wheels of a lorry at work and recorded it on a superior cheaper camera :D 

Slightly off the current track, the only thing about the Mobius that annoys me is the cable sticking out of the back of it being visible and the stress that seemingly gets placed on the usb plug if you keep the wire taut to avoid too much showing.  I solved that for £2 by ordering and fitting two of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400543663916 in series around the camera so the cable goes in from the front but to the side.  By wrapping the cable around the thread of the mount I can keep the cable out of sight and out of the viewing frame, and all behind the mirror.

Hopefully the photos will help show what I mean.  Maybe this will appeal to others as equally ocd about these things as me!

Adam

Put a cable tie around the plug so the pressure is more even.

Tecmoan has finally reviewed the new mini 0803!!!!

And he is giving it his highest recommendation yet! 

• Like 3