Upgrade CAN Gateway to?

Hello,

I own this Octy II year 2004/5 and am contemplating on fitting a Bolero Audio System in a not so near future. But before doing so, I would need to upgrade my CAN Gateway to avoid the infamous "Battery Drain" issue. I'm not sure of the current version number of my CAN Gateway as I do not have access to a VCDS Cable. However, looking into ETKA, I know it should be one of 1K0 907 530 H/K/L/Q.

What I want to know is, what is the latest revision of this Gateway that I can fit into mine? I have searched on the Internet and have come across revisions "C" and "AD", are these really upgrades to the above listed ones and can they replace them?

OPS and Climatronics are already present and working in the Car, if this Information really matters. Also, I know I will anyway require the VCDS Cable to code the new unit, but for the time being, let us keep that part aside.

Thank you!

Edited by hell666

Thanks for the concise info Mike.

I have looked on the Internet, 1K0xxxxxx is in scarcity I guess, however, 7N0xxxxxx is found in abundance. Do you think 7N0 907 530R will be perfect upgrade? I found one on eBay here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270998914852?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

For the display to appear on the Unit, are you sure I need to upgrade the Parktronic and Climatronic Controllers as well? If yes, any idea to which ones, I mean the Part numbers? I'm not sure, but I guess the current Partronic Module in my Car is a xxxxxxx383.

OK, thanks for the confirmation, I guess I need to upgrade the system as a whole then. Will update the thread when I attempt upgrading.

• 5 weeks later...

If I upgrade the CAN Gateway to 7N0907530 (without any Alphabets like C/H/K/etc after it) and the PDC Controller to 1Z0919475C, will it be enough to get the display on my Bolero Screen? Or do I need the later versions of the Gateway like 7N0907530 "C" for the Image to appear?

Can anyone with earlier (2009) Octy FL and getting an Image (OPS) on the screen share their Gateway and PDC Controller Part Numbers please?

• Like 1

IIRC it's not just the PDC that needs to be upgraded, but the sensors in the bumper too. I've got used to manually muting the radio and listening to the beeps. ;)

I really hope not!!! :sweat: I have already ordered for the Controllers from Skodateile and I do not intend to invest another few hundred $'s only for the Sensors now. I wish to use the existing Sensors in the Car.

From what I have read over the Internet, the make needs to be the same, Bosch/Valeo to match the Sensor make and will not work when mixed. Keeping my fingers crossed now!!!!

From what I recall Bolero and Columbus use optical sensors. Stream/MP3 use acoustic ones (or vice-versa). So the PDCs are different to accommodate.

If you manage to get the original sensors working with Bolero, there'll be a lot of people interested in how you did it. :)

• Like 1

I had the Audience Unit before and I did get the distances displayed as bars on the screen for each of the 4 sides of the Car. The only worry now is the Sensors may be outdated for this new Controller, otherwise, they should hopefully work with this new Controller. Can't wait for the Controller to arrive.

Hi, I've just performed the Bolero upgrade myself. My parking sensors continue to "Beep" but I don't get a display on the Bolero. I think you need to replace the parking sensor unit in the boot for this to work. I don't look at the screen when I'm reversing so I don't miss it.

The parking sensors will beep even if you don't have a radio fitted. The Bolero continues to play the radio when I'm reversing, it doesn't show the reversing screen or any faults about reversing sensors, so it's not noticable. Good luck with the upgrade!

Edited by corbo

Hi, I've just performed the Bolero upgrade myself. My parking sensors continue to "Beep" but I don't get a display on the Bolero. I think you need to replace the parking sensor unit in the boot for this to work. I don't look at the screen when I'm reversing so I don't miss it.

The parking sensors will beep even if you don't have a radio fitted. The Bolero continues to play the radio when I'm reversing, it doesn't show the reversing screen or any faults about reversing sensors, so it's not noticable. Good luck with the upgrade!

Could you please tell me your PDC and Gateway Part numbers?

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting and detailed post, thanks for that.

It seems like a lot of work to get a graphic on a screen, but congratulations nonetheless on persevering and achieving what you wanted to :thumbup:

Well done!

All of the other upgrades I had seen documented replaced the sensors as well.

An interesting and detailed post, thanks for that.

It seems like a lot of work to get a graphic on a screen, but congratulations nonetheless on persevering and achieving what you wanted to :thumbup:

Thank you!

As a matter of fact, I never look at the Screen while reversing, it is only the Beeps that help me to an extent. All this perseverence was only because it was challenging and exciting to work on something which was otherwise taken for granted to be not possible. The reward for it is a smile I get on my face every time the OPS comes up on the Screen while reversing! Additionally, it now enhances the look of the dash when this mode is engaged.

• Like 1

Fair play for getting it working.

I too upgraded my HU (I went for a Bolero) but as I am not a screen-watching-reverser I really didn't care whether or not the car appeared on the screen.

Nice to see it proved that it can work though, so top marks for that.

Edited by g_tee

Thanks @g_tee

Update;

I have now managed to fix the Speaker/Buzzer problem, which is by connecting a 45ohms Resistor in Series to the 8ohms Speaker. This has solved the problem of intermittent working of the Parking aid.

• 1 month later...

I was checking ETKA and found 7N0 907 530M / 7N0907530M as the latest CAN Gateway. Will this work in Pre-FL Skoda Octavia MK2?

Great DIY! Congrats on the success! So which head unit is displayed in the pic posted by you?

Thank you. It is a Chinese HU bought for under $400 delivered. All details available here in this thread: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/231488-no-sound-in-speakers-from-an-after-market-gps-hu/. Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi out there

I have a Octavia RS TDI year -08.

I have retrofit a Columbus stereo.

There is an label on the stereo and I have delivery part number 3T0035680A.

But when I check in the hidden setup menu it says 3T0035680B.....

It also shown the HW-Version H42 and the SW-version 4120.

What I wondering about is that I cant get the OPS and the Climatronic to shown on the Columbus display.

Must I uprade the parking sensor CAN-box or what to do to get those functions to shown on my Columbus.

I have talked to Skoda in Sweden and they said that I have OPS sensors not the old ones...

Is there anything I can do in VCDS???? I have a friend that have VCDS on his work.

best regards Pierre

• 1 year later...

Just a quickie; sourced a parking module from a 59 octy this morning, part 1Z0919475B, am I right in thinking I COULD plug this straight in but I'd only get the rear sensors showing on the retrofit bolero display screen? Do I need the C revision to get front AND back to display or am I barking up the wrong tree and I'd need to do all that messing about above to get it to work??

• 1 year later...

Hell666 Thanks for the detailed post.

I am fittung a Swing radio in my 2005 Octavia. I also bothe have problems with battery drain, no climate info on the Swing, and no PDC/OPS.

Can you tell me if fitting the newer gateway alone, did the trick with climate info on your RNS ? You know all the displays when changing blower og temerature.

Im askin because some says that i also have to replace the climate control unit for getting the climate info on the radio - but i can not read that you have changed the climate control panel ?

I knos i have to change the PDC controller to an OPS controller, and do some rewiring if i want the graphic display from the park distance sensors, but what do i have to do to get the clima info in the radio screen ? Just a newer canbus gateway, and borg thebattery drain issue, and the climate info will be solved ?

Thanks in advance.

On 17/8/2012 at 06:06, hell666 said:

Thank you!

As a matter of fact, I never look at the Screen while reversing, it is only the Beeps that help me to an extent. All this perseverence was only because it was challenging and exciting to work on something which was otherwise taken for granted to be not possible. The reward for it is a smile I get on my face every time the OPS comes up on the Screen while reversing! Additionally, it now enhances the look of the dash when this mode is engaged.

Hell66 could you please see my question above regarding clima info on radio :)