Columbus firmware upgrade

Also, can someone please challenge the point made by stevehg and myself: the latest version contains new mapping information from V8, not just some third-party speed camera database. This is a new version, no? If it's not V9, what is it and where has the new mapping come from?

Anyone?

Took my Superb to Colbornes Skoda in Peasmarsh nr Guildford this morning for its first service.

They confirmed that maps are installed at PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) but were very vague about any details - as I expected them to be.

They did say that recent Columbus's can now be updated without a DVD by direct connection to Skoda internet tool 'ELSA' (presumably via a diagnostic tool such as VCDS?).

ELSA is of course only accessible by the trade but it tells them what updates are required by any particular vehicle. This information led them to install a software update for the electric seats (memory?). Worryingly, it not tell them that there were any map updates outstanding and ELSA did not know that I had updated them myself.

So no progress there I'm afraid forum buddies, we're still on our own. I guess folks not as computer literate as ourselves are left in blissful ignorance and never get they firmware or maps updated throughout the life of the car.

Well, as an addition to this debate...one of my local Skoda dealers has said that once V9 maps are released by Skoda (in a couple of months time) they will use their DVD to update my maps at a charge of £29.99, which is much less than the £200,00+ to actually purchase the DVD.

Having the mother of all nightmares updating maps on my columbus, if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I have DVD in and it goes through the on screen prompts and when I press eject to see the progress bar it fills up after about 40-50 minutes then just starts to fill up again.It did this 3 times then I ejected reset the radio and tried again nothing keeps doing it. Where am I going wrong?

Were you required to choose between using the data from the disk or saving to the database, or is that what you meant by following the prompts? Have you tried a "Restore Factory Settings"?

Ray

Thanks for the reply Ray

Yea I followed the prompts and selected "save" option not the using from disc one. Not tried restoring factory settings. I assumed when running the disc that it wiped the space from the HDD to place new maps on it and that the old ones would now be gone. I recall from last time I was looking through settings when in restore factory settings I can choose different parts to restore ie just navigation on its own etc. I read googling around someone saying theirs took 2.5 hours and seemed to run through the progress bar a few times but eventually finished, off the back of that I have put the dvd in my computer and using img burn I am attempting to create an .iso from the dvd to check all data can be read and its coming up with some errors 74% way through, after some time and on 21st auto retry it managed to do it. Does that mean I can now go out and get a good quality dual layer DVD and burn it at min speed and stand a better chance?

Sorry for the long windedness.

Thanks for the reply Ray

Does that mean I can now go out and get a good quality dual layer DVD and burn it at min speed and stand a better chance?

Sorry for the long windedness.

Burn at the slowest possible speed your burner supports. 2.4x or 4x for preference.

I agree, my DVD drive was supposed to be able to burn dual layer discs but after wasting four discs I gave up and tried on my wife's laptop which is newer and it worked first time. I endorse everyone else's recommendation to burn only at 2.4 or whatever your utility permits. I used IMGBURN but Windows' own utility should also do the job.

I also have V9 maps handy for anyone who would like to borrow the disk in the Birmingham area , Just give me a shout

Hello GerryT, Maybe u can help me(give me advise)...

Today when I started my car the Columbus started switching on/off i tried to switch engine off for a minute but after started up again any good still columbus switching on/off which mean nothing works even when i reversing the picture doesnt come up, just singnals beeps came up, could you tell where is the problem, maybe firmware........

A word of caution to potential upgraders using firmware V4xxx - this will not work correctly on Columbus "A" or "B" revision head units and will probably mean you'll lose your existing maps and music when you put V3xxx firmware back on. Been there, done that on my '58-plate Elegance. :think:

Ray

A word of caution to potential upgraders using firmware V4xxx - this will not work correctly on Columbus "A" or "B" revision head units and will probably mean you'll lose your existing maps and music when you put V3xxx firmware back on.

Would you mind clarifying what won't work correctly as I have a 3T0...A Columbus (2010) running FW 4xxx and v9 (v.9020) maps with speed cameras.

I've had no issues with it and have discovered no missing or non-functional features. Yet...

If you've got no problems, that's great.

As far as I'm able to tell, 2008 and 2009 models (plus the possibility of some 2010 models too) are affected, purely because of the model revision of head unit they have fitted.

In my case, the voice control disappeared, the clock display went AWOL and some of the radio options didn't work either. SatNav was affected also, but by the time I'd realised it was the V4 firmware, I'd already installed it. Re-installing V3 meant I lost my maps and music (again!). If you're thinking of V4, just try and check before you attempt to upgrade that you haven't got an "A" or "B" unit, unless you're quite happy to waste quite a bit of time and effort.

Ray

Would you mind clarifying what won't work correctly as I have a 3T0...A Columbus (2010) running FW 4xxx and v9 (v.9020) maps with speed cameras.

I've had no issues with it and have discovered no missing or non-functional features. Yet...

This is from an older thread Carl posted some info about Part No's v versions etc I think we have the same one KB by your partial part no above (mine was manufactured in 2011). My delivery part no changed after last FW change though but it says below that you can't go off the one in hidden menu as with FW changes it can change it. HW No should still relate to it and what's on label of radio, VCDS etc

The way the firmware work are (they are in order of release ignore the no's as a higher no. doesn't necessarily mean a newer firmware)

1004 - Original Firmware

0904 - From here down is A & B Revisions

2664 - Beta Firmware and only B revisions from here

1304 - Same as 2804 but does not support Voice Control

3804 - From here down B & C Revision only - All support for A dropped

4004 - From here down C & D revisions only

Few points to note:

1Z0 035 680 A is original A revision

3Z0 035 680 A is B revision equivalent

3T0 035 680 is C revision equivalent

3T0 035 680 A is C revsion LED Screen equivalent.

Skoda don't have an equivalent D Revision yet that i am aware of.

Now there are firmwares out there that have been modified to support older devices. For example the is a modified 2764 for A Revisions. However they will be quite buggy when running. Some have no issues and others have loads. I have recently downgraded 3 different peoples units due to running modified firmware creating lag etc with the screen.

VCDS Lite should be able to tell you what part no. you have. Always take what VCDS says as, for example, if you upgraded a 1Z0 unit with 0904 firmware or higher it would change the part no. to 3Z0 in the test menu. However within VCDS it would still show as a 1Z0.

HTH

If you have any other questions give me a shout. I'm not on here much these days as i'm busy with work but i will pop back in every now and then to answer any questions

Regards

Carl :)

Hello GerryT, Maybe u can help me(give me advise)...

Today when I started my car the Columbus started switching on/off i tried to switch engine off for a minute but after started up again any good still columbus switching on/off which mean nothing works even when i reversing the picture doesnt come up, just singnals beeps came up, could you tell where is the problem, maybe firmware........

cvanter

I had the same problem about a month ago. The system showed exactly the same symptoms with the skoda splashscreen and then it fades back to black.

It was a firmware issue in mine. Not being sure what version was loaded on my columbus i took it to Skoda and for an hours labour (£96) they installed an updated firmware (and washed and hoovered the car!). I was tempted to try to update the firmware myself but was not sure whether it would require VCDS to validate it. They would also have installed the V9 maps for me except someone had pinched the DVD from the service shop. The car needs a routine service soon so i am going to get it done at the same dealer in newport and get the maps uplifted too.

I see. These are VW model equivalents I guess?

Mine is 3T0 035 680 A on the factory label.

All the same I would have thought it was from a while ago that post as there is now a D version in Skoda's too. The part No's above would be common to both Skoda and VW I would guess as all are RNS510 (Columbus in Skoda's of course). vRS Carl seems to know a serious amount about the model numbers there its a very helpful list. I highlighted the model number which is the same as yours in the quote which would suggest its a C version with LED screen that would match the age of the unit too prob one of the early customers to get one in a car. The letter after the Part No seems to throw things out as we all read the letter and assume that's the version. There were some visual differences to the front of the unit like the button on top left the later ones from reading around seem to have a mic symbol on it and older ones had an 'i' symbol or something.

I'm curious about whether that part number to version mapping is correct.

I've got a VCDS scan of my car from when it was a few days old (back in October 2008), and it shows:

Address 37: Navigation (J0506) Labels: 1T0-035-680.lbl

Part No SW: 3T0 035 680 HW: 3T0 035 680

Component: RNS-MID H03 0904

Revision: AB001001 Serial number: SKXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Coding: 040600000000008300

Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00999

That would seem to imply that I've got a revision C unit, but I'm not sure that's possible, given when my car was built.

I would have expected to have a rev. A unit, as my car is a similar age to Ray's.

Admittedly, I've not pulled the head unit out to check the labels, but I would hope that VCDS was getting accurate information when scanning the car.

From another forum there is a lot of details on the units

in the hidden menue you get HW vehicle too this supposedly doesn't change with FW updates

one highlighted in bold is the HW No of mine

Hardware Versions:

HW Vehicle: 0xC001, HW Radio: 0003 – version A – C3, C4, C5

HW Vehicle: 0xC201, HW Radio: 0004 – version B – C6, C7

HW Vehicle: 0xC801, HW Radio: 0006 – version C – C8, C9

HW Vehicle: 0xCA01, HW Radio: 000? – version D – C10

HW Vehicle: 0xC?01, HW Radio: 000? – version E/F – C11

HW Vehicle: 0xC?01, HW Radio: 000? – version H – C12

Another list on the site just for this radio series lists dates of production Superb/Octy if it is of any use for someone.

3T0 035 680: Production 03/2008 – 10/2009

3T0 035 680 A: Production 11/2009 – 05/2011

Hi Guys, I got a problem with my Columbus.

When I put ignition on Columbus screen comes on (welcome on the board) and straight away goes off and I cant do nothing about this, cant switch radio on etc... has anyone had the same problem????? Could you please advise what should I do.

Thanks

Mark

HAPPENS EXACTLY THE SAME AS ON THE LINK BELOW: