Screenwash ahh!

I think the fact remains that headlight washer equipped cars drain their fluid so often that legionnaires is never likely to be a worry.

RE using just water....its all well and good until you get a really heavy frost, the whole thing freezes and you end up either popping the hoses off the bottle or somewhere in the car (after putting pressure on it to deliver the fluid; or it just ends up cracking the reservoir.

i used to use any old ****e on cars gone by until i had an experience like above and also a blocked fan yet (happened on my Mk2 Octavia but thankfully I fixed it), since using the VAG stuff even in a moderate mix its been fine.

Take the fuse out for the headlight washers. That will massively help with consumption.

Only a thought as my car has not arrived yet, if the fuses are the 'spade' type then it should be fairly easy to use a two core cable with separate spades one end, an inline fuse and a switch on the other end mounted somewhere convenient? Could be a problem if the same fuse controls anything else though :doh: 

My headlight washers have recently started washing every time I was the windscreen, which is kind of annoying as I use cheap stuff and it leaves stains on the bonnet. Does anyone know how to adjust it - until recently it used to do about 1 in 10, the only thing I can think of is that I reset the sat nav/radio to factory settings in an attempt to solve the sat nav problem.

Ahh, someone else is getting this as well! The only difference is that I've not got tw4t nav or reset the radio!  :wonder:

Whilst I am bit****g I must also mention the boot window and how quickly it attracts dirt (Estate/Combi). 5 minutes after washing the car I cannot see a thing out of the back. The glass must have been designed by Dyson.

I have spent many a year driving vans with no back windows so cant see what the fuss is all about, OK it's a nice to have one but it's not needed, truth be known if mine has been knocked it may take days before I notice as the door mirrors are perfectly OK. All estates I have owned have been no worse than the one I have now for attracting dirt on the rear screen.

Get to Costco, just under £5 for 5 litres. Prestone with a free funnel now too. Dilute it to whatever strength you like.

Also keep an eye on O2 moment, sometimes Halfords do free screen wash 1 litre bottles. This was a year or so ago but between the wife and I who are both on O2, got 6 bottles between us :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk the free non retired version!

• 3 weeks later...

update on Lidl Screenwash

My mate has a Porsche and will only use  things branded "Porsche" except screenwash. when the dealer was out of stock he told him that the Lidl stuff is the same as the Porsche branded product. 

make what you will of that

windshield-washer-superpiss-super-piss.j

This used to be popular in Finland but haven't seen it for a few years.

Do you have any idea what that means in norwegian? :D

Edit: just realised that it means the same in english. Not something I would wash the windows with... :p

Edited by Gromle

I picked my car up on 9th Jan.... Just filled the washer bottle up for the third time!!!!!!

Yeah i hear ya, I got mine last Oct and was nearly filling it up again when I got home! I think I might have been "overspraying"...as in holding the stalk for too long, I've trained myself to give it one quick flick. Now mainly i have a clean windscreen and xenons and seem to be getting a little longer out of it...

Edited by DravenSteel

• 1 year later...

For anyone going through lots of screenwash this seems great value delivered free to your door, 5 litres at £2.44 use code WEEKEND30. I got 4 bottles to keep me going, I use 50/50 mix in winter and 25% to water the rest of the year.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/concentrate-screenwash/?542771151&0&cc5_701

Screenshot_2017_01_14_19_27_51.pngimg host

Edited by POWYSWALES
  • Like 1

^^ I think that your are comparing 2 different products...

Quantum is what I use, but it is not quite the same as VAG branded screen wash - Quantum is down to -30 Deg C neat, whereas VAG is -70 Deg C.

If you are going to Alps in winter, use the VAG one neat or you will have a frozen washer bottle... as I found out in my old Mk2!!!!

Edited by Black_Sheep