I had to order new brake discs

Emil

My brakes judder every now and then. Car is driven under 10000km. Dealer measured front discs, but refused to change them under warranty. Judder comes thru the seat. Steering wheel doesn't shake.

I ordered Zimmermann discs and expect them to arrive next week. Let's see how it goes.

Anyone else who suffered brake juddering already? I thought that when I buy a new car I don't have to repair it so soon. :swear:

Agreed mr rooney.  Normally this is caused by hard fast stop where the disc gets nice and hot, you then leave the footbrake on

and the heat from the brake disc transfers out through the brake pad (one area) causing the disc to warp.

Then a very unfortunate manufacturing fault as I would expect standard discs to last longer than 10,000 km's.

It will be difficult for the garage to prove that it wasn't you therefore they will just go on the lines of wear and tear and just one of those things.

Zimmermann are nice brake discs by the way, shouldn't have any issues with those.

Do you have drums or discs on the rear? You problem could be your low mileage and not being hard on the brakes. Crud builds up on the discs which causes vibration like warped discs. However dome good hard braking will clean them up. Try 5-6 hard stops from 60 to 20 and see if things improve. You should be smelling hot brakes afterwards.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Were the discs checked with a run out gauge? Warped (or dirty) front discs normally cause a lot of vibration through the steering wheel, particularly under light braking. Have the drums been checked.

• Like 1

I've done some hard braking, sometimes. Because this problem isn't new really. I thought it will be sorted by time and use. Well, it was not.

Dealer said they used runout gauge. I can't remember the results I'm sorry.

This problem appears when braking is light. Like when I'm approaching traffic lights slowly. Brake dynamometer didn't show anything abnormal.

Drums were not checked I guess. No juddering if I brake with handbrake only. I will take drums off and clean the rear brakes any day soon.

Yes, let's hope it was a dodgy batch.

Brake dynamometer shows braking power for each individual wheel. If disc is warped enough, or friction between brake pad and disc is uneven when wheel turns, the brake dynamometer shows it.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been replacing hubs under warranty where I work which sorts this fault out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's good and bad news at the same time for me. I didn't bought genuine discs, as I thought they are causing this juddering. If these new discs does not solve the problem I may not get any help from the dealer. I'm about to fit the new discs next weekend.

We have been replacing hubs under warranty where I work which sorts this fault out

if you can offer any more information that i can give to my dealer it would be greatly appreciated

i am going to be reporting a brake issue on my car, it's definitely not been raced and covered less than 5000 miles.

Went in to the dealer today, short drive to demonstrate the issue. back to garage and the run-out was measured and new discs and pads fitted under warranty. All done in less than 2 hours.

I'm impressed with the service I had today.

• Like 2

In my experience, warped discs on a car that has not had hard use are more often than not related to dirty / contaminated or uneven hub faces. The problem builds up gradually as the discs wear unevenly. Only 1300 miles on mine so far, will be keeping an eye on it.

I didn't change the discs, yet. I measured discs and hubs but I could not find any abnormal readings. As warranty is valid I thought that dealer should solve this problem.

• 4 weeks later...

In the last couple of weeks both my husband and I have noticed a judder under light braking.  I thought I was going mad at first but now my husband has noticed it too.  The car is only five months old and under 3000 miles.

I gather from some of these earlier posts I'm not the only one so I will be phoning the dealer tomorrow to see what they say :(

In the last couple of weeks both my husband and I have noticed a judder under light braking. I thought I was going mad at first but now my husband has noticed it too. The car is only five months old and under 3000 miles.

I gather from some of these earlier posts I'm not the only one so I will be phoning the dealer tomorrow to see what they say :(

Try some repeated enthusiastic braking first. Could just be a build up of crud, especially on the rears as they don't do much.

Well 5000 miles in and my discs are definitely showing signs of getting progressively less flat. Warping generally occurs as the result of an overheating event, but this is a slow deterioration, so I am sticking with my duff front hub theory for now. Will see what the dealer says about it.

Any car inside a manufactures warranty needs thorough inspection by the dealer irrespective of your country.

I certainly would not invalidate any warranty by getting parts replaced myself, especially non OEM items they will refuse to do anything to help if that does not sort the issue, once they see non standard parts.

Get the car back to them and get them to sort it out, you paid for a car which should remain defect free for a given period provided it has not been misused they should investigate and repair.

Have you been racing the car around the forests WRC style?

Warped discs usually caused by over heating?

Or maybe a manufacturing fault?

You'd really have to be giving it some. I know of a little Citigo that is standard that was at Castle Combe last year on track which was pushed fairly hard. ;) - No brake issues.

I would say on my own brakes and the amount of dust they get only after a short period that the brakes probably wear fairly quickly. But I do a lot of around town speed bump ridden roads, which I guess does not help.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a 16 month old '13 reg Citigo which we are about to get rid of it for something Japanese. I was a tremendous Skoda fan having had a few but will never buy one again after our experience with this one. Our front discs had warped by 8,500 miles and, after some argument, Skoda replaced the front disc and pads as a 'goodwill gesture' as the brakes are only warrantied to 6,500 miles. We weren't happy about the aggravation but felt they'd done the right thing in the end. 2,500 miles and two months later the new discs were warped and, to cut a long story short, Skoda refused to repair them again stating it was a 'wear and tear issue caused by the way the vehicle is being used'. Utter nonsense, my wife drives the car and I can assure you she isn't a WRC driver deploying all 59 horse power and then performing massive stoppies! In fact very little braking is required on her daily commute, she doesn't sit on the brakes when she stops and we don't live on a hill. Even if she was a hard driving, heavy braker, 2,500 miles would still be a bit poor! We considered court action but in the end decided that as a pair of discs are only £40 I'd sort it myself and we'd bin the car as it also has the usual gearbox issues - which the dealer denies exists! 

This is interesting as I suspected there must be something else causing the problem but was faced with a 'we have never seen this before so it must be how you are using the car' or 'get knotted' in plain english!

It's a shame really as the citigo would be a decent car if they hadn't made the gearbox from cheese and the brake discs from cardboard....

Edited by Britishfellow