Octavia 2.0tdi firm, hard suspension

I got my Octavia 2.0 tdi elegance two days ago. Everything is very nice except ride quality. Front suspension / shock absorbers are unbeliveble hard for my taste. When I hit bigger hole on the road I got felling that front shock absorbes are fully presed and all power transfers to the car. Felling is also like shock absorbes are missing more movement  (like a sports car with lowered suspension). I have 225/45 R17 tyres and normal suspension. Transportation shock absorbes blocks are removed.

Anybody else with 17" tyres have same feeling, like driving very low sports car, and that every bigger hole on the road transfers to your back with unpleasent boom noise.

Edited by ski1

From the evidence of previous threads, I'd check they removed the shipping blocks when the PDI was done...

They are removed, I checked that with car dealer.

Everyone else on here says the ride is great. But it's all relative

I must admit, I genuinely find the ride very harsh (I am on 18s).  However this is probably explained by the fact that my previous car was the incredibly comfortable but not at all sporty Renault Laguna!

Edited by Dr_Pepper

I find it pretty harsh, yet it sits quite high. To me it ain't right.

Think it's just poor suspension. My Volvo had a lovely soft ride, yet handled much better than this Octavia.

Edited by sjrainsford

I had the same feeling when I picked up my 1.4 TSI Elegance on 225/45 17" Michelins. Checked the tyre pressures. All were over 3.0 Bar instead of 2.2 Bar. Quite a few on this forum also reported that the tyre pressures were too high when they picked the car up from the dealer. Reducing the tyre pressures improved the ride quite a bit, but I have to agree that the ride is still quite harsh over even slightly bumpy roads and, for me, it is spoiling an otherwise excellent car. Others have reported that the ride softens up somewhat after about 1500 miles. Only done 400 miles so far, so I'm hoping this will happen, but I agree with Dr_Pepper that my previous Renault Laguna was in a different league for comfort.

Must be the UK roads. I have 18s and sports suspension, and think it is fine. It's firm, but not that different from my wife's Golf V GT Sport.

I have a TSI vrs which should be stiffer than your elegance and find it very comfortable even possibly a bit too soft sometimes. It is entirely possible that the roads around me are much better than where you live though.

Please, check the tyre presure. We had the problem with our second Vrs when we got it few days ago. The presure was too high and the car was totally different in ride experience from the first Vrs. Tyre pressure solve it all.

Ride is reasonably firm on a standard suspension car but acceptably compliant; way softer than the Mk2 vRS TDi I had beforehand.

Do check the tyres. I know 225/45 17's should be 2.2 bar all round for regular loads.

• Like 2

Sorry, but problem was due to transportation blocks. After two visits to Skoda dealer, they did't removed them. I had two of them left on each side. Car came with three of them on each side.This is unbelivible!

post-117057-0-52892800-1402247111_thumb.jpg

Sorry, but problem was due to transportation blocks. After two visits to Skoda dealer, they did't removed them. I had two of them left on each side. Car came with three of them on each side.This is unbelivible!

Yet another pdi done by a muppet. Check your tyre pressures as well, they are probably at 45psi or something equally ridiculous.

I don't have transport blocks, I have the correct pressures, have done 9000 miles and it's no better.

I can honestly say, I wish I wasn't stuck with the car for 3 years. At least it's a company car!

Some days I drive my car and it still feels too harsh, especially on uneven roads, but some days it feels much smoother. I have done 22.5k now so perhaps it is just starting to soften up!

Bit surprised by these comments - I've come to my Elegance w/ standard suspension after several sportier cars, but would not think to complain about the comfort.

Just to be sure, do people mean:

-- Harsh - where bumps crash through the car. Like you would get if the suspension was just too hard for the chassis.

-- Hard/firm - you just get jostled around too much.

I can see why someone used to Jags and Citroens might find it a bit firm, but I struggle to think of it as harsh. Something isn't right I don't think if it really is harsh and crashy.

• Like 2

So guys

Is this black part my finger touching is normal part of suspention?

It rotates easily by fingers.

Yes this is regular part of suspension. Transportation blocks are around pistons, but you can't see them until you lift the car, so the wheels are hanging down. Edited by ski1

I don't have transport blocks, I have the correct pressures, have done 9000 miles and it's no better.

I can honestly say, I wish I wasn't stuck with the car for 3 years. At least it's a company car!

R U sure?  The old transport blocks used to fit on the springs.  The new ones appear to be on the damper shaft - they look like a bumpstop.

R U sure?  The old transport blocks used to fit on the springs.  The new ones appear to be on the damper shaft - they look like a bumpstop.

..and judging by the pictures on here are nice bright colours so they can be easily spotted at PDI :ph34r: