tubular manifold

SKYHAWK

On a diesel, it's actually worse to heat wrap the manifold. :)  I've not bothered and I am sure Darkside recommend to not wrap them too.  The only thing I wrapped was my turbo intake pipe as it sits fairly close to the manifold.  I just used some shiny reflective tape stuff that I forget the name of now.

what heat wrap do the tubular mani guys use any links plzzz...

Steve, that's PETROL tuning stuffs, repeat to yourself "Diesels are different, diesels are different" until you remember!

THe absolute LAST thing you want to do is raise temperatures in the VNT by insulating the manifold.

Steve, that's PETROL tuning stuffs, repeat to yourself "Diesels are different, diesels are different" until you remember!

THe absolute LAST thing you want to do is raise temperatures in the VNT by insulating the manifold.

no problem and i know diesels are different they run on heavy oil lol

they bound to do something otherwise they wouldn't be so expensive!

They're so expensive because people get a lot of satisfaction spunking money on go faster parts. People are willing to pay the cash!

From what I've seen the modified cast manifolds flow fine for a 2260.

• Like 2

Part of that article I have linked makes a very valid point that they are not easy to make hence the price being high. It also points to the fact that they will always be prone to cracking at the welds due to engine vibration, weight of the turbo, and the fact they are not one solid piece like a cast manifold.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

I would like to see flow figures against a tubular and oem cast.

Once you have this you then need to see how much airflow is needed to flow out the head for the given bhp target. No point having a manifold that can flow 800CFM (made up figures) if lets say for 300bhp you only need 400CFM which an oem might flow.

Regarding spool I have logs to show no benefit on a GTB2260VK.

• Like 4

How stupid a comment is that?!?!?! :)

Just cause something costs ££££ doesn't mean its worth it for what u gain.

John's got a pretty good comparison having mapped and logged both types of manifold with the same turbo fitted.

• Like 1

John's got a pretty good comparison having mapped and logged both types of manifold with the same turbo fitted.

ok they make them for nothing for fun how'z that COSKEV

Had this moment have been 6 months ago I'd have much more ££££ in my bank right now...... ;)

• Like 2

I would like to see flow figures against a tubular and oem cast.

Once you have this you then need to see how much airflow is needed to flow out the head for the given bhp target. No point having a manifold that can flow 800CFM (made up figures) if lets say for 300bhp you only need 400CFM which an oem might flow.

Regarding spool I have logs to show no benefit on a GTB2260VK.

you can test mine when you mapp it m8 ;)

ok they make them for nothing for fun how'z that COSKEV

They make them to sell to mug's that think it sounds cool down Mcd's car park telling everyone they have a tubular manifold.........

Ring any bells? :)

• Like 3

My 2260's being fitted within the next week (all being well!), and John's mapping mine too - on a standard welded manifold. So let the results do the talking I suppose...

Need to get us all to the same RR though ;)

sounds good he's doing mine aswell with a tubular

They make them to sell to mug's that think it sounds cool down Mcd's car park telling everyone they have a tubular manifold.........

Ring any bells? :)

https://dub122.mail.live.com/?tid=cmXXPo-spV5BG96AAhWtfCvg2&fid=flinbox

and nop don't know any1 with a tubular on any car dwn any mcd's car park take it u know a few?

FFS this thread.... ISTR the first kits to allow 2260s et-al to be fitted to a mk4 came from Darkside and they included a tubular mani. Darkside then modded that to fit Fabia/Ibiza etc and introduced their "budget" kit including a cast manifold.

Anything else I've seen before and after that has been a DIY or bespoke solution to plonking a non-standard turbo on a 1.9TDI. Almost all adapting some earlier cast manifold.

To my mind, though, cast = reliable, tubular = potential for more power. Whether anything's ever been proven one way or another I dunno.

From the tubular mani perspective, would be interesting to see the same design of manifold tested with different diameter primaries. To see how responsiveness/spool vs pressure, temps and power works out.

• Like 3