vrs - tyre life goodyear f1

Hi, its that time again, had 4 goodyear F1 aysm 2's fitted April 2013 to VRS petrol.  

Front 2 now down to 2mm after 17,000 miles, so looking at replacements, rears still 6mm.

Can anyone quote figures for Conti CSC 5's or Micheln Pilot Sport 3 to compare.

Not sure if to stick with Goodyear or switch as expected to last longer if honest.

Price compares 

Goodyear - £104

Micheln - £112

CSC 5 - £ 109

so nothing in the price, do love the goodyear's in wet and dry though

thoughts please

The SC5's I did have on my car were the best tyre I've ever had for overall sound, wet grip and general "feeling safe" - but they wore down at a terrible rate.

I initially only went for them as I got 35k miles out of the SC3's that came fitted to my car at the factory.

I went F1's this time.

stoofa do you recall what sort of mileage you got out of them, must admit i was expecting 25k plus out of the goodyear's but looking at other forums goodyears still seem to be the favourites and yes my experience of sc3 were the same, long life.

^^ nope, the manual says you should rotate for even tyre wear.

OP:  i'd go with another set of goodyears - put the new ones on the back though, move the older ones to the front otherwise they'll be on the car for ever (and be less grippy as a result due to age).

stoofa do you recall what sort of mileage you got out of them, must admit i was expecting 25k plus out of the goodyear's but looking at other forums goodyears still seem to be the favourites and yes my experience of sc3 were the same, long life.

I had been really good at keeping track of how long my tyres had been lasting - but haven't really kept track of the SC5's. I'll go out on a limb and say around 15k miles.

Not as bad as the Bridgestone REO50A's I had on my previous vRS which managed to wear in around 10k - most unimpressed.

^^ nope, the manual says you should rotate for even tyre wear.

OP:  i'd go with another set of goodyears - put the new ones on the back though, move the older ones to the front otherwise they'll be on the car for ever (and be less grippy as a result due to age).

Notwithstanding what the manual says, the best tyres should go on the back.  However, this does not mean that the rear tyres must be better than the front ones (what about a new car!) but simply that the rears should not be significantly worse than the front, to minimise the risk of the car spinning if the rear end should let go first.

You can ensure that the rears are never significantly worse than the fronts by rotating your tyres front-to-rear frequently, so that they wear evenly and you can then replace all four at the same time as a matching set.

If, however, you have a front-wheel-drive car and you intend to replace your tyres with the same type again, an alternative policy is to wait until the fronts need replacing, than fit a new pair to the rear and move the part-worn rear tyres to the front.  This way all the tyres get moved around eventually (so that none of them deteriorate just due to old age) and you always have better tyres on the rear.

This is an option which you don't have with a rear-wheel-drive car, where the only really good policy is to rotate front-to-rear regularly and then replace all four as a matching set. 

• Like 1

hiya,  I looked at that but thats no longer recommended practice, they say now best tyres should always be on the back.

Reason being, its easier to catch under steer than lift off over steer.

However if your getting 17k out of a set of front tyres I doubt you're the kinda guy who does a Scandinavian flick at roundabouts so little to worry about.

Actually mate that's why looking at swapping now as traction always kicking in, last car scooby, don't hang around in this either, spirited driving always should we say, always within the law of course though officer

Anyone any experience of Michelin PS3 and how long they last?

I ran PS3 then Goodyear F1 AS2. Wear rate seems roughly the same BUT the tread depth on the PS3 is less than the Goodyear so you run out of rubber sooner.  I eeked about 22k out of the PS3s but I don't drive particularly briskly on the road.

hiya,  I looked at that but thats no longer recommended practice, they say now best tyres should always be on the back.

You are right, best tyres should be on the rear but you have to balance that against good tyre life / wear.  Therefore it's also recommended that you rotate the tyres regularly - IMO, preferably X-rotation.

New tyres generally have 8mm of tread depth (some are 9 or 7).  I don't worry about the actual mileage but when my fronts get down to 3mm less than the rears I move them directly to the rear and the rears are crossed over & sent to the front (obviously, this can't be done with unidirectional tyres).  So generally the fronts will be at 4mm & the rears at 7mm.  Then I run the 7mm fronts down to 3mm & the rears will be about 3mm as well.  At this point I haven't a clue what to do & roll a dice until they are down to 2mm & I replace the lot.

I think the whole thing about best on the rear is so that you aren't running 2mm on the rear & nice, new 8mm on the front with the rear popping up & aquaplaning whenever you hit standing water.

I'm a big fan of Michelin PS3 but I don't think the mileage will be significantly better than the F1A2.  If you are really keen on mileage then maybe look at the Michelin Primacy which is more touring focused.

• Like 1

I had been really good at keeping track of how long my tyres had been lasting - but haven't really kept track of the SC5's. I'll go out on a limb and say around 15k miles.

Not as bad as the Bridgestone REO50A's I had on my previous vRS which managed to wear in around 10k - most unimpressed.

RE050A have a tread wear rating of either 140 or 180 (can't remember which).  The Contis are 280 or 320 so in theory they should last about 70% longer.  Keep in mind the RE050A is a very old tyre design now & they achieved their grip / performance by using relatively soft rubber compounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic, I currently have F1 Eagles fitted to the front my VRS and can't wait to get them off as they've been the worst tyre I've ever experienced in the wet with the car likely to tramline at every corner. On the back I have some budget tyres (GT Radial Champiro UHP1) that came on the car when I bought it and she never steps out at the back no matter how hard I try.

On my 182 I've a set of Michelin PS2's and Goodyear Efficient Grip and I think the Goodyears are better for mixed driving but nothing will touch the PS2's in the dry.

Has anyone tried the Efficient Grip's on the VRS, any advice?

Efficient grips is the ONLY tyre I run on my lowered and mapped vRS.

I hace them fitted all round and run them on 35psi

Dry grip - perfect

Wet grip - perfect

They seem to last very well too.

I've done a few track days and push her hard on bends and on straights regularly.

They are £90 aprx on blackcircles.com.

A rating for wet grip

C for fuel rating

I couldn't be happier. I'd be very surprised if anyone comments anything bad about them.

Interesting topic, I currently have F1 Eagles fitted to the front my VRS and can't wait to get them off as they've been the worst tyre I've ever experienced in the wet with the car likely to tramline at every corner. On the back I have some budget tyres (GT Radial Champiro UHP1) that came on the car when I bought it and she never steps out at the back no matter how hard I try.

Can you post a photo of the tread pattern?  If you mean the F1 Eagle directional then yes, they are ****e

I'm currently running a pair of ps3's on the front looking at the tread after 4k miles, think it sounds like your better off with goodyears for wear.

Grip is great especially in the wet, compared to some tosh I had on the front but wear is a bit high, got around 3.5/4mm left on both.

Mine is diesel so more weight and torque on them compared to a petrol.

• 2 weeks later...

Right I've swapped them, got a pair of Michelin PS3 for 111 each, plus 20 quids vouchers so 101 a corner, put on back with back

Goody ears moved to front. Good years on back still 6mm after 18k, it's the fronts that had worn out.. Think Michelin will last longer and they were cheaper than Goodyear and in reviews it seems a close call between both tyres in performance.