B-Pillar cover - damaged by seat belt.

At polish Octavia's forum, many users claim the B-pilar wear by the safety belt.

In my VRS this is not appears yet, but I would like to know Your observations.

It looks like bad design - in other cars this problem is not existing.

The dealers are saying to the customers, that improper belt using is the rootcause, but I don't think that people changing their usual methods with car change.

Below some pics, from cars not older than 1-2 years and mileage 3000 - 10000 km:

27wsrvr.jpg

pasy_ironik_138.jpg

At polish Octavia's forum, many users claim the B-pilar wear by the safety belt.

The dealers are saying to the customers, that improper belt using is the rootcause, but I don't think that people changing their usual methods with car change.

Below some pics, from cars not older than 1-2 years and mileage 3000 - 10000 km:

27wsrvr.jpg

pasy_ironik_138.jpg

the Volvo s40 suffered the  same fault, best not to let the seatbelt rub against the plastic moulding when putting on/taking off

Improper use of a seatbelt..does this imply the driver is not using a seatbelt as that is improper use. What a lame excuse.

Poor design (again) and a manufacturer arrogance to pass blame elsewhere. Skoda need to learn that when moving up from the budget product line the quality of such needs to follow also, otherwise dacia will soon overtake them...;-)

I have seen the same problem on a 6 months old octavia with no more than 6000 miles on the odo.

On my own octavia I'm conscious of this problem so i take care with the seat belt (avoiding improper use!) as not to cause damage.

Edited by octavianestate

On those photos the adjuster is all the way up an the wear is in an upward direction as if the seat belt is being being pulled up towards the roof for some unknown reason. .

Not sure me why people expect the manufacturer to be responsible when something clearly isn't being used as intended or designed.

• Like 1

the Volvo s40 suffered the  same fault, best not to let the seatbelt rub against the plastic moulding when putting on/taking off

I assume you mean the S40/V40 model and not the S40/V50 model? Because I had the V50 for 9 years without any problems. The design was actually pretty clever, as the belt wasn't adjustable at all, the slit was just positioned in a J form so that the belt would glide to the correct position depending on the height of the person using it, making wear like this close to impossible.

2SWhbUX.jpg

When I was a sales rep I used to cover, on average 1500 miles a week. The car was changed every two years so you can appreciate I had dozens of different cars and have to say I never came across this problem. Having said that, how many people actually scrutinise the area in question?

I had similar damage on my old A6 but that was 11 years old, occasionally the belt would get gripped by the slot and the edge of the belt became furry. Not enough wear to cause concern though.

Seat position could play a factor in the wear. The previous owner was a fairly short woman, so the seat would have been very far forward.

Never had it in the A4 before it though - both identical VAG designs to this. Will check my dad's '03 passat when I next see it.

Edited by philwoodphoto

I wouldn't say it is improper use of the seatbelt, more likely it is the wrong 'technique' they are using.

Are the people complaining about this extremely tall or, ahem, Chubby? It looks like they have been pulling hard and in an upwards direction as if to get the seatbelt out to its full extent.

Perhaps the people who submitted the photos could film themselves using the sea belt as they would normally and then people could determine whether it is a design or user fault?

A v strong edge of woven nylon being pulled at speed across a piece of fairly soft low heat resistant plastic....gonna rather be like a knife through butter.

My wifes Astra H has a bit of this damage evident, but she is quite short and also pulls and retracts her seat belt at about a million mph so not entirely surprised. A tiny bit of evidence of this in my O3 probably from the odd occasions she uses it.

TBF the design just isnt that great, use of better quality plastic and a larger opening would prevent it altogether I expect.

I had similar damage on my old A6 but that was 11 years old, occasionally the belt would get gripped by the slot and the edge of the belt became furry. Not enough wear to cause concern though.

Seat position could play a factor in the wear. The previous owner was a fairly short woman, so the seat would have been very far forward.

Never had it in the A4 before it though - both identical VAG designs to this. Will check my dad's '03 passat when I next see it.

Passat probaby has an exposed seatbelt anchorage, also some metallic material around where the belt makes contact with the anchorage.

Made at a time where VW valued perceived quality over driving ability much as the Mk4 Golf, all the tactile components were over-engineered. On the most part i still think the passat and golf of that gen were better made than what we buy now.

Just checked mine and the seatbelt has eaten a bit of the plastic too. I don't pull the belt out with excessive force and it does not even touch the "corner" this when putting it on, but when I wear a winter jacket and take off the seatbelt, I have to pull the belt away from my body - when going back like this, the it is eating the plastic. The car is almost a year old and has done 15k km.

The police in Estonia had a lot of Superbs a few years ago and many of them had the same problem.

post-114631-0-21739300-1428329015_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mardu

I would believe that skoda can indeed make design errors thus it is not unreasonable to blame the design of this piece for causing damage. The supposed error made is to blame improper use. Why not state wear and tear just like the marks caused on a gearknob by rings (and steering wheels). One could argue poor design (poor materials) that mark easily but it's unlikely we will see granite steering wheels or diamond gearknobs.

I'm sure warranty will sort out replacement seatbelt unit trim pieces.

Mine's fine (passenger and driver) as well. 3000km and 2 months old. Seats are put to the lowest position possible and the belt adjuster are highest position resp. just under highest.

You'd have to pull the belt parallel to the door all the way and only then move over the body in order for the belt to make contact with the adjuster and cause any damage. But I have read on some German forums where "a lot" of people seem to have the problem.

27wsrvr.jpg

pasy_ironik_138.jpg

Mine is the same as the bottom picture, drivers side only. Car is only 9mths old and has 9.5k on the clock

Edited by DaiUK

How does the belt get to that height anyway? Surely that is down to how some are putting it on? Thats going up over. Confised :dull:

Perhaps The Slender Man borrowed the car?