Anyone tried Michelin Cross Climate tyres?

Any one out there yet running with a set of Michelin Cross Climate tyres?

I don't have room to store a set of winter wheels/tyres but am considering a set of these when I change the original Continentals (205 55 R16). The reviews look pretty good for driving in the UK.

I was thinking about them for the SuperB but they don't do them in the size required for the elegance. :(

They will do. I was speaking to the Michelin representative at Formula E and he said more sizes to follow. Particularly the larger rim sizes.

• Like 1

When I got my Superb 3 months ago I found that the 18" + rubber band combination was too jarring on the roads around here so I changed to 16" + Cross Climates. Obviously I haven't tried them on snow and ice yet, but dry or wet they have so far been great. Very limited experience (only around 3k miles to date) but I would recommend.

They will do. I was speaking to the Michelin representative at Formula E and he said more sizes to follow. Particularly the larger rim sizes.

That's good to hear.... A couple of us at work were thinking about having them but they didn't go up to the 18" rim size.

I'm more interested in giving Nokian's effort a try, the Weatherproof. It's the exact opposite of the CrossClimate - a winter tyre designed to be used in summer.

Thats why I'm inquiring,

Many of the all season tyres are winter tyres designed to used in the summer and didn't perform that well in the past in the summer or winter. I've recently tried a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5's (reasonable reviews) on my Superb I (same 205/55 r16). Generally OK, very good in snow, surprisingly quiet but wasn't 100% convinced in the wet. They looked as though they were going to last quite well - however have now changed to my Superb II although can still report back on Quatrac 5s as I know the new owner of my old car which is still going strong. Must admit if I don't like the Michelins I would by another set of these - they are much better than earlier versions!

The Michelin Cross Climate is the first summer tyre design developed to work well in snow and ice and have some great reviews which is why I'm considering them when I get my next set. Performance (my commute is horrible - especially in the winter) , tyre life and noise especially important to me. Tyre noise is the only thing you hear on mine at 60 - engine and wind noise very supressed - so if I end up with noisy tyres it would really spoil the show.

Saying that I've bought my poverty spec Superb S with 14k on the original Continental II's and they still have loads of life left in them - still just under 7mm in the centre! (Just checked now over 18k and still about 7mm - in the centre and I've rotated tyres front to back to even out wear at the edges)

Edited by bigjohn

I'm more interested in giving Nokian's effort a try, the Weatherproof. It's the exact opposite of the CrossClimate - a winter tyre designed to be used in summer.

Unfortunately it's the same situation with these regarding sizes available. :(

What size is the Superb 18" tyre? 225/40?  Nokian's website indicates there will be a Weatherproof tyre in 225/40/18 92 V http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyreselector/winter-tyres/results/225/40/18///suv-4x4-tyres/ but I can't find it yet on Oponeo or Pneus Online (where I got my Weatherproofs from).

I've only had them on since Monday, so a lot less miles than Liomer (post #4) has had his CCs, but initial impressions are good. I've tried hard to get them to lose traction on the dry twisties around here, and they've been at least as good as the Dunlops I've just replaced. The one bit of deepish water I've driven through was only noticeable by the spray at the side of the car. There was no slowdown, tug to the left or anything to indicate I'd not been on a dry road.

They are currently a little noisier than the Dunlops (rated at 69db vs 67db for the Yeti 225/50/17 size) but I don't remember my WR A3s being noisy after being run in, and they are rated at 73db.

Edited by dbg400

Nokian still imply the tyres will be available from the Autumn, but as far as I can tell they have been on sales since early August or maybe late July.

I like the tread pattern. It suits the Yeti better than the Dunlops, though they doesn't fill the arches any better!

gallery_80615_568_180118.jpg

They even came with a (fairly cheap) free gift! A beach kit with ball & paddles, swimming goggles, an inflatable beach ball and an inflatable bag to use as a pillow!

gallery_80615_568_80096.jpg

• Like 1

Will have to see what the reviews are like in comparison to the Michelins. I must admit I prefer the tread pattern on the Michelins to the Nokians but if the Nokians get far better reviews then I might have to go with them.

If you can, wait a while. There have been 5 new 'all season' tyres introduced in 2015 including the Cross climate and the Nokian. I understand that due to the sudden increase in interest in them by the manufacturers, several of the European testing agencies and magazines including Auto Express are planning to do some proper 'All season' tyre tests in the next couple of months. 

• Like 1

If you can, wait a while. There have been 5 new 'all season' tyres introduced in 2015 including the Cross climate and the Nokian. I understand that due to the sudden increase in interest in them by the manufacturers, several of the European testing agencies and magazines including Auto Express are planning to do some proper 'All season' tyre tests in the next couple of months. 

That will be interesting, my only experience thus far is with the Quatrac 5

• 1 month later...

Link below to the first all season tyre test with all the new tyres including the Goodyear 4 Season Gen2, The Cross Climate, Hankook Kinergy and the new Nokian Weatherproof all season tyres.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2015-AutoBild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Seemingly its a very close call in the UK between the Goodyear and the Cross climate, except if you see a lot of snow when the Nokian looks pretty good.

Edited by Pesmog
  • Like 2

Link below to the first all season tyre test with all the new tyres including the Goodyear 4 Season Gen2, The Cross Climate, Hankook Kinergy and the new Nokian Weatherproof all season tyres.

Seemingly its a very close call in the UK between the Goodyear and the Cross climate, except if you see a lot of snow when the Nokian looks pretty good.

Interesting stuff,

I had a set of Quatrac 5s on my Superb I and would possibly agree with the comment "Moderate resistance to aquaplaning". These had a lowish score re noise - I personally found them  suprisingly quiet. What I never found out was how they performed in hot weather.

Close call between the Goodyear and the Michelin all season tyres..

I've just had 2x michelin alpin a4 225/45/17 full winter tyres fitted to the front of my superb & i found out next month costco have a offer on 4x cross climate upto £60 off a set of four. so ill be having 2x fitted to the rears & the spare 2x will put up till spring when the winters come off & they will be fitted to the fronts & ill be running cross climates all round & year round.

Link below to the first all season tyre test with all the new tyres including the Goodyear 4 Season Gen2, The Cross Climate, Hankook Kinergy and the new Nokian Weatherproof all season tyres.

Seemingly its a very close call in the UK between the Goodyear and the Cross climate, except if you see a lot of snow when the Nokian looks pretty good.

So my takeaway from that is Michelin have made a summer tyre that barely scrapes through 3 peaks certification. Not surprised really as the tread looks rubbish for snow.

If I want an all season tyre, I want one that I can trust on snow, else why bother? I'm far more interested in winter tyres that are designed for above average performance in summer as its in wet, wintry conditions when the risks are highest.

Hi!

I have been running Cross Climates on my 1.6tdi for the past few months and have found them to be excellent, especially in the wet, as I did an unconventional comparison with my work colleague who is running on Goodyear Efficient grips. he has the same car as me as they are fleet purchased and driving side by side at 40mph the Crossclimates stopped me 6' sooner than the Goodyear.

I also notice the increased spray on wet surfaces, obviously as the tyres clear more water.

Finally, they are much quieter that the Bridgestone Turanzos that they replaced.

overall, I'd give them 10/10. but lets wait to see if they are as good in the snow!

• Like 2

Yes had them (205/55/16 all extra load) for 1500 miles and so far the temperature has remained above 10 deg C and it has been dry so nothing to report on the winter usage front!! They are slightly less grippy, noisier  and feel harder during day time warm temperatures, but that may be just me knowing I am on all seasons. I think they are a great idea if they work!! 

I've just had 2x michelin alpin a4 225/45/17 full winter tyres fitted to the front of my superb & i found out next month costco have a offer on 4x cross climate upto £60 off a set of four. so ill be having 2x fitted to the rears & the spare 2x will put up till spring when the winters come off & they will be fitted to the fronts & ill be running cross climates all round & year round.

It's not a good idea to run full winters on one axle only. Also, have an accident and you open yourself to the mercy (very unlikely ;) ) of your insurance company and the police.

WaveyDavey, on 30 Aug 2015 - 08:59, said:

Will have to see what the reviews are like in comparison to the Michelins. I must admit I prefer the tread pattern on the Michelins to the Nokians but if the Nokians get far better reviews then I might have to go with them.

WaveyDavey, on 31 Aug 2015 - 21:53, said:

There's also Hankook's effort..... http://www.hankooktire.com/global/passenger-cars-tires/hankook-kinergy-4s-h740.html And these are already available as 225/40 R18 for the Elegance.

I'm having the same Nokian / Hankook dilemma at the moment. Options still very limited in this size. Did you opt for one of these?

It's not a good idea to run full winters on one axle only. Also, have an accident and you open yourself to the mercy (very unlikely ;) ) of your insurance company and the police.

why only the speed rating is different & that can be adjusted in the maxi dot