Skip to content

Alasdair1

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Alasdair1

  1. The in tank fuel pump should operate when the drivers door is opened/unlocked after being locked for a while plus also when car is running. I assume its to prime the system. There are I believe 2 fuses for the pump. One for the priming and second for ECU. If the pump is running check the voltage to pump in case its low. Think there will be a relay as well. I had a quick look and on my sons 1.2 mk1 the fuses are number 14 and 52. Sorry no idea where or which relay. One fuse does ECU and the other I think does fuel pump. Why they make modern cars so complicated I don't know. Years ago things were simple without ECU etc. They either ran or didnt. Just fixed my ancient tractor with a 3 cylinder perkins. Fuel starvation problem due to diesel bug in system. Cleaned and new filters etc. Hand primed via lift pump. Released air from injector pump and number 1 injector and started no probs. Took about 20 mins. Alasdair
  2. If its better from cold I would assume there is less air/more fuel(not sure how modern chokes work) until it warms up. If its being starved of fuel it might explain why its better when cold and your getting better combustion ratio. If there are no codes via VCDS then it may be a fuel problem. Is the intank fuel pump working ok? Alasdair
  3. If the EPC and engine symbol are there and go out when car is running I assume the system is working. I remembered I got similar symptoms on my sons 1.2. I always put a rag in air intake when removing engine cover/air filter just in case I drop something in it. I forgot to remove rag and car idled but died under power due to lack of air. Luckily didnt suck rag all the way in. Try running it without air filter and see if it makes any difference. Hope its something simple and an easy fix. It may be worth seeing if anyone near you has VCDS. It may ping up something that the other scanners have missed Alasdair
  4. ESC I think is electronic stability control. It will go off once car is started. As said not sure what a MK1 engine management light looks like. It could be an orange engine block looking symbol or EPC or both. Either way it should illuminate at preignition and go off once car is started unless theres a fault.
  5. Sorry EML is engine management light. Normally comes on when in limp mode on my cars. I think its linked to emissions as mine came on due to EGR problems. There is also EPC which is also engine management. Not sure if the Fabia has both but they should light up at pre ignition and go off when car is started. Alasdair
  6. On all my cars I have had the dreaded EML and limp mode for various reasons. Does the EML light on yours show at pre ignition? Just wondering if someone has disabled it. I would have thought it should come on when in true limp mode. Alasdair
  7. If it starts and revs but dies under load it could be a fuel problem. Maybe fuel pump down on pressure or perhaps clogged fuel filter? Its weird that there are no codes if it went into limp mode. Maybe its not actually limp mode but fuel starvation. You could try it without fuel cap in case the vent is clogged and also check airfilter. Alasdair
  8. I think your better removing them whe the engine has been run and is hot. Thats what my old mechanic friend always said. He reckons its less likely to snap them. As yours have been replaced it shouldnt be a problem. Alasdair
  9. Check the wiring to number 4. I think the ground circuit is the path taken back to the neutral side of battery from glow plug. It could be a faulty plug,wiring isssue or the glow plug control timer unit itself. If they have just been replaced they should come out fairly easily for testing. You could always swap 4 and say three to see if the fault code changes cylinder to rule out glow plug or confirm fault in wiring. Alasdair
  10. Take the hose off and see if a hydraulic hose company can make you one up. I had similar probs with an old Volvo 940 and my local hydraulic hose company made me one for around £60. That was a few years ago so prices will be higher. Alasdair
  11. Had a quick google of the part number on the aerial amp out of curiosity and LLL parts list it as an impedance convertor for screen aerial so I assume that on one of the windows will have the metal aerial strip and the amp may well be behind the trim Alasdair
  12. I have I assume a window aerial on my Octavia MK2 12 plate. Off side rear side window. Looks like a demister.heater like on the back window? Not sure on Fabia. Alasdair
  13. If its only holding by a couple of threads its obviously not right. Check the bottom ball joints as I think they are side specific as are the track rod ends but they should still have decent thread contact. If they are fitted in reverse then the bend in the track rod end may be puting the alignment way out or perhaps a combination of both. It could also be that one or more of the parts is wrong for the car. Alasdair
  14. Been meaning to do my sons fabia as well but havent got round to it. Found this on here that describes removal and refitting. Did read something about removing bar. Theres a Torx at one end.
  15. Not really but wondering if you disconnect battery for a while and reboot the system. Its hopefully a glitch somewhere that should clear once ecu is reset. Alasdair
  16. Mine does similar with revs sometimes at 1100 I asumed it was trying to regen but the last time I tried to lift accelerator pedal and revs dropped. Havent had a chance to investigate properly but I reckon it may be sticking slightly/not returning fully or the sensor is worn. Not sure why your steering would fail when revs are high at idle though. Alasdair
  17. Have had two cars with the 1.9tdi BXE engine. 58plate octavia and 09 plate Seat altea. Had zero problems with the Octavia apart from usual wear and tear. Excellent MPG 60-70 on long run and plenty power and they both had no DPF. Downside is road tax and not Ulez compliant. On the Altea I have an Engine management problem due to insufficeient EGR flow. Theres a EGR cooler on rear of engine that can cause probs and difficult to get to if it does. I now have a 1.6tdi 12 plate Octavia but would swap it for the 1.9tdi anyday. As long as it has a good service history I reckon the 1.9tdi should be fine. Timing belt isn't that bad to do and do the waterpump at the same time. 90K is nothing for these engines. Mine still runs perfectly at 180k but bodywork has terminal rust. Alasdair
  18. Pop the starter out and see if theres any clutch material visible. On my sons it was covered in fibres. You may also be able to see inside the bell housing. Weird thing with his was one side was about half worn but the other nothing apart from shiny metal. I reckon the rivets gave up due to age. His is an 06 plate and I assume original clutch. Alasdair
  19. Depending on how hard a hit it was there could be chassis damage/alignment problems as well as drive shaft issues and engine/gearbox mounts etc it could be a long list. If you are going to repair it then it might be worth getting it checked for alignment/bent chassis first before spending money on it and discovering its a rightoff. You might be able to get a body shop to check it as a homer/cash for you. Alasdair
  20. It could be the clutch. My sons did exactly the same. No previous slipping and no noises at all. He was coming into our road end and changed down then no drive at all. Could select all gears but still no drive. I assumed drive shaft but they were fine. Eventually removed Gbox and clutch disc had totalled itself. There was no friction material on one side and the bell housing/starter motor was full of fibres. Luckily it was the clutch plate side and not the flywheel so no damage. New clutch and back to normal again pus fitted a new slave just in case. When I had his in our shed with smooth level concrete floor it did try to creep forward when in gear when accelerating but very slightly and could be stopped with very little resistance. Alasdair
  21. Not sure how it secures with lock but maybe something flexible to slide along to see if you can catch the latch? Alasdair
  22. Sons got Phillips xtreme vision 130% in his fabia and I have same in my octavia. A lot better than the standard and reasonably priced too. Think his were about £15 per pair. You can go for the 150% but I found them too bright and didn't last nearly as long. Alasdair
  23. Not sure on yours but My octavia and also Seat altea has the amplifier as part of roof aerial base. Alasdair
  24. Good idea, Used to have similar probs with Volvo 940. Started checking with dial and solved problem by rotating discs until they ran true. It doesnt take much to throw a disc out. Check the calipers are sliding properly as well and as said pistons are moving freely and sliders arent seizing. On my old volvo a sticky rear caliper caused major vibrations felt through whole car. Alasdair
  25. Up here in Inverness theres a good few cars with matt black bonnets and roofs. Suppose its to look like carbon fibre panels?? If you want to go down the boy racer look it might be an option. From your pictures its pretty bad. If the car was younger I would be getting in touch with Skoda for an explanation. Alasdair

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.