Everything posted by Alasdair1
-
Looking at adding a temp gauge
I got one from ebay years ago for an old toyota that the guage had failed. Only fitted it as the 3CTE engine was prone to overheating. Looked a bit like this one. Not sure of the diameter of pipe on yours and where to fit it. eBay52mm Water Temperature Gauge 40-120℃ W/ 40mm Adaptor Join...High sensitivity and easy operation. 1 x Water Temperature Gauge. Sensor Mounting Thread: NPT 1 / 8 ". 1 x Sensor. Numbers and pointing clearly show the water temperature. Unit: Celsius Degree. Blu...You can also get a cylinder head temp sensor as well. Alasdair
-
Octavia Mk1 4x4 Sub Frame Compatibility
Try Autodoc. They list OEM part numbers for aftermarket subframes. You might be able to cross ref part numbers etc.
-
Please help engine code p1296
If you are having to top up coolant then it must be leaking somewhere. Check oil for emulsification plus coolant tank for oil contamination and any coolant pipes unions plus rad. Another point would be coolant reservoir cap. If its failed it may be dumping coolant out of expansion hose as the engine coolant isn't getting pressurised properly. Check for bubbles in tank as well. (cylinder head gasket) Not sure why it would keep throwing a 1296 code as its normally sensor or thermostat related unless theres two sensors on yours? It could also be on a long shot an airlock if the system has been drained and refilled or the head gasket has gone. Keep squeezing top rad hose with engine running to see if you get any bubbles in expansion tank. Alasdair
- What are these air intake pipes?
-
Knocking Sound Under Bonnet – Need Advice!
They are worse than mine and they were bad. I seem to go through them quite a lot. Check the bushes in anti roll bar as well. Mine looked ok but decided to change them anyway as I still had a small knock sound. They were pretty poor once I removed them. Alasdair
-
Electric Window issue 2011 Fabia S - any ideas ?
He fixed my sons. Excellent service. Hope yours wasn't stuck down like his. Alasdair
-
Electric Window issue 2011 Fabia S - any ideas ?
Does the pasenger side work? The drivers side motor is also a controler for the pasenger side. Alasdair
-
MKII Scout, high speed wobble and a question about suspension. please help me before I do a Basil Fawlty and thrash it with a tree branch.
Had another thought. My Go to Mot garage has a fairly high tech ramp that causes vibration/wobble etc to see if there is any wear in suspension etc. Might be worth seeing if anyone local has similar set up that could check yours over. MOT is about £50 so not the end of the world if they don't find anything but it might just pinpoint the problem. Alasdair
-
MKII Scout, high speed wobble and a question about suspension. please help me before I do a Basil Fawlty and thrash it with a tree branch.
The service light may be due to it being on a yearly service not mileage. If its only done 6500 since last one I would take a note of mileage and date and reset it. The fact it still drives with a wobble may be related to rear suspension. I have changed everything in the front and still have a wobble on mine but still have to tackle the rear. Check the tyres as well, I jacked my old Seat altea up as it had a weird wobble and lowered onto flat boards till they were just touching the tyres and rotated wheels. One had become misshapen slightly which was causing a wobble you felt through seat, You couldn't see any bulge etc with no cracking but it had become distorted and was slightly out of round. Tyre service said they get a lot of tyres like that especially Michelin As for value try we buy any car or similar and see what they come up with. If its got a years MOT then its got to be worth something. Alasdair
-
Strong exhaust smell!
Its not trying to regen the dpf. That can cause strong exhaust smell. Another point perhaps would be the Cat thats failing.
- Octavia VRS Squeaky brake before - grindy brake after?!
-
Locking wheel nut and bolt
Had one fail on my old seat when I put it in for tyre change. Local garage managed to remove old bolt by welding a nut onto it. Ditched the offending wheel bolts and replaced with normal. The security socket seemed to be alloy and snapped. Local tyre service hates them. They said they either break them or can't find them in the car. They make a point of handing them back personaly to the customer and advise them to get rid of them and replace with normal bolts. My old volvo ones on the other hand seemed indestructible and were made of steel. Non of my cars have them anymore and nobody has nicked my alloys. A new bolt cost a few quid which is a lot cheaper than getting a broken one removed.
-
Oil Leak from around filter housing and into coolant
Sorry meant standard spline rather than torq. Brain hasn't woken up properly yet. Alasdair
-
Oil Leak from around filter housing and into coolant
They may well be triple square spline. VW/Skoda use them quite a lot. Different from torq although they could be torq as well if they have 12 splines. Alasdair
-
Electric Window issue 2011 Fabia S - any ideas ?
Might be a problem with drivers motor/control unit. On the MK1 the drivers motor controls the passenger side. Sons one passenger side failed closely followed by drivers side. It could also be a failing seized window regulator or motor on the passenger side. The passenger side can seize up as it normally doesn't get used so often.
-
Wheel Bearing
The droning noise was only when turning at first but then became constant after a while. There wasn't any play in my bearing but just very noisy. If the tyres are wearing on the outside then it could be down to tracking unless the bearing has a lot of play and the steering is trying to compensate. I would change bearing plus check condition of track rod ends/ball joints etc and perhaps get tracking checked. Most good tyre services can do it. Same here re garages. All the decent ones are very busy. There is always the option of a mobile mechanic? although I wouldn't use one unless they were reccomended to me. Same as garages. Alasdair
-
Fabia Mk1 2002 1.4 mpi Push Rod Needed
If you are having trouble straightening it perhaps a local engineering company might be able to help. I straightened one years ago on a mates lathe. Wasn't perfect but it worked. Alasdair
-
Wheel Bearing
Remembered I got this from Breezy_pete. It shows what I mean re grooved bolt. I couldnt work it out until I saw the pic. Was looking at the head not the surface.
-
Wheel Bearing
Mine was noisy but less when I turned slightly to left. Was getting a bit of a habit slightly steering left to get rid of noise. The Torque setting depends on the type of hub bolt. There are three. Old style was hex (six sided)which required a massive amount 200Nm plus 180 degrees, Bi Hex (12 sided) without grooving on face of bolt) 200Nm plus 90 Degrees. The one that came with my new bearing was Bi Hex(12 sided) with grooving on face which is a lot less 70Nm plus 90 degrees. Hub to wheel bearing housing bolts if I remember were 70Nm plus 90 degrees.
-
Octavia VRS Squeaky brake before - grindy brake after?!
I used to recon calipers as they were a few years ago expensive to replace plus you had to send the old one back if you bought new ones to get a discount. I now just replace them as they seem to be fairly reasonably priced. Last one for me was about £70 for front and £45 for a rear. VRS might be a bit more.
-
Wheel Bearing
I used a 3/4 drive with scafold tube to loosen mine as I don't have an impact wrench. It was very very tight. Helpful if someone else can hold socket in place. Alasdair
-
Octavia VRS Squeaky brake before - grindy brake after?!
Doesnt take much to cause a noise. Hopefully its just bedding in. Is there any vibration/wobbling when braking. I had a new disc that was slightly out that caused a noise when driving. I now check they are perfect with a dial guage against disc to make sure they are running true. Similar to this Alasdair
-
Wheel Bearing
I just did one on a 2012 but should be the same. I replaced hub complete as it was easier. Loosen hub nut with wheel on ground (no more than 90 degrees if not replacing bearing) or get someone to press brakes to lock wheel Removed caliper, disc and hub nut. In theory you can push drive shaft etc back towards Gbox to get to bolts but I ended up removing bottom ball joint and track rod to get in past the gator as I couldnt get square on to the retaing bolts. The bolts are triple square splined. Torq won't fit. I removed ABS sensor as well as I wasn't sure if it would allow the old hub off. Refitting is the reverse but you have to torque hub nut with wheel off the ground as it can damage new bearing if weight is on it before tightening. Make sure you clean any rust etc from socket for new bearing. If you are getting a complete hub it will probably come with new hub bolt. If not get a new hub bolt. Not a bad job but make sure you clean out splined socket bolts to get a proper grip. Last thing you want is to round them and have to drill them out. Meant to add that the front bearing can have 3 or 4 retaining bolts. Make sure you order the correct one. My 08 has 4 but my 12 plate has 3. Hub nut from memory needs a multisplined socket 26mm I think but not sure. Alasdair
-
Clutch Pedal just gone to floor on startup. No warning
I was lucky in a way that it was the master cylinder that had failed. Clutch to floor one day but managed to get it bak up and it was fine. Two days later same and no clutch at all. Only dicovered the leak when it got winched onto truck and fluid came out from undertray. A lot of new cars have an internal slave or external that fits into bell housing so when it leaks it contaminates the clutch. Had a few older cars with an external slave and either rod or lever to operate clutch. Why they stopped making them like that ?? it was to me a much better design as if it leaks then you don't need a new clutch. Alasdair
-
Abs light,
Ran my car with ABS light on for weeks until I got round to fixing it. Brakes still work but no ABS. If theres only 1psi difference I assume its the sensor thats causing the problem. Alasdair