Everything posted by SkOmk4
-
Defaulting to "hybrid mode" on startup
Don't know, but it's not the first time that I hear some behavior changes after car Stop/Start. (and not only on Octavia) I never tried it, but as @jpg86 mentioned in the first post, he "fixed" it this way more than one time. Yep, that's why I'm blaming "Other conditions"; other users also mentioned that at lower temperatures they were able to go EV with no problem. In my case, when this happened the outside temp was not the minimum that the car was parked into. Too bad we don't know what those are...
-
Defaulting to "hybrid mode" on startup
I made a new entry, since the previous post was already too long. I found the Octavia iV Manual, in Section "Starting and Driving", subsection "Select Drive", there's the following info: Now the next part is what interests you: Basically, because of those "Other conditions" I recommend you don't stop the engine and restart it immediately simply because you want to use EV-mode. Allow the hybrid-system to decide when all conditions are met and it's fine to use EV only... You won't use too much petrol before the car will validate the electric mode. If that's not the case, then contact your Skoda dealer, 'cause something's not feeling too well on your car. Look for the "strike-through E" sign on your VC, when it's off go into EV-mode.
-
Defaulting to "hybrid mode" on startup
Can't say about Octavia IV, but here's an identical discussion on CUPRA Forum - it's actually the very same hybrid system from VAG, so the same conditions on parameters for the EV mode to be validated... https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/fully-charged-car-and-then-it-starts-the-engine.474356/#post-5045932 I would strongly advise against this "solution" that you use to get back into EV mode. Apparently it's not really clear for the users why the system decides to go directly into Hybrid mode with ICE-ON, even when the HV battery is charged at 100% (as it happened to me also), but surely there's a reason behind this behavior. It might be related to: - outside temp, or to the temperature of the HV battery, - could be a bad status of the 12 V battery, - a set of several conditions combined - such as outside temp. vs. the temperature requested by the user to the climate control - a case when the car decides it's more energy efficient to heat via the ICE rather than via the HV battery which can be quite inefficient at low exterior temperatures... - there might be a long time since the ICE was last used - I had several consecutive weeks of exclusive EV-mode driving. I looked into the (Cupra) User Manual and the info is pretty-scarce on this topic. They only mention 3 conditions that need to be met in order for the EV-mode to be available, but in my case, when I had the car starting in Hybrid-mode with ICE, all the conditions were met. So there must be something else behind, in a second layer of validation conditions - which is not visible to the regular user of the car. Have a look into the Octavia User Manual, but I assume you'll find the exact same conditions... it's the same car. Finally, I would strongly recommend that once it happens, allow your car to run in hybrid mode for a while; after some time or small distance, the EV-mode will be validated (it will no longer be greyed-out on your infotainment), normally there should be an indication also on the Virtual Cockpit (as the Manual mentioned). In my case, after 2 or 3 km of normal drive the EV-mode was available and I selected it without restarting the car. This only happened to me 1 time in 2.300 km since I have the car. I drive it daily to work and back home (12-13 kms each way) and charge it every evening. When it started with ICE, it was in the evening, around 4 deg Celsius outside and I was preheating the car from the App before leaving home. When I got to the car and started, it went directly on ICE, even though the HV battery was at ~60%. I've had colder evenings since that event, I preheated the car in those cases, but it never repeated that behavior. So I don't know what's the secret behind... đ The car was driven exclusively in EV-mode for 3 weeks (some 400 kilometers I would say) before it decided to start on ICE. Normally it shouldn't be the case for me... The car is 3 months old, roughly 2.300 km onboard, charged on average 6 days/week. According to some diagram I've read online (if I'm not mistaking @Jorgeminator also uploaded some info on a different topic in this Forum) the 12 V battery is charged: - while driving the car in any mode (hybrid or EV); - while the HV battery is charging (charging station). So I should be safe, as long as there's no faulty hardware on my car.
-
Phoenix orange
Unfortunately, opening a new topic for every thought or every question crossing peoples minds, is what makes it difficult for old or new users (such as you) to find what they are interested in... I encourage the confident use of the "Search" function available on the forum. Good luck with your color choice!
-
Has your Octavia ever jumped into manual on its own?
That reaction of the gearbox might just be the normal one - the kickdown effect as @Paws4Thot mentioned. If you're in Sport mode the gearbox is a lot more reactive than in Normal (or D), so I wouldn't worry about it... If you were unsure whether it was you the one who triggered the response, you could have watched the VC for the gear indicator: if it was you, the indicator would have said "M3", if it was the kickdown in automatic mode the display would have been "S3".
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
TPI stands for Technical Product Information... Meahwhile I used the "Search" function on this topic and found the TPI posted on June 22nd, courtesy of @Jorgeminator - you can read the symptoms and solution there (update to 1941 - obviously!). I also found that your SW version can be directly updated to 1941, without the two-step update I mentioned before; that is also mentioned in the TPI.
-
Infotainment System Restarting endlessly
Since you're on SW v.1806 I'm afraid you can't update directly to the so called "new and improved" 1941 - that's as far as I know... If I'm wrong maybe someone can correct me. However, it was surely mentioned before on the many pages of this topic. So you should definitely go to your dealer and invoke the TPI which was mentioned here several pages ago, since you have (your car has) many of the symptoms fixed by that TPI via the 1941 update. If your dealer continues to play dumb, try to contact/notify Skoda Belgium... ...the alternative being that you "manually" update from v.1806 to some intermediate version, and afterwards from that version to v.1941. But I cannot advice on where to find the proper software versions, unless indicated here in the past. That one you can "manually" update yourself, avoiding the ignorance of your dealer: Go to the link below, enter the VIN of your car, download the latest Navigation maps (I see now that the latest version was released week 45.2023) and follow the installation steps indicated there... https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/
-
Is there a way to set a minimum charge stored level while driving?
For sure there's a setting for that, the only problem is I can't guide you through the Octavia Menu. My Octavia had an ICE. However, on the Formentor which has the identical hybrid system from VAG, I can "reserve" a certain percentage of battery, or even more, if the battery is low or depleted, I can ask the system to charge the battery using the ICE. This is surely possible on Octavia too. L.E. check the posts on this other topic... (I see you already visited that topic): You'll find in my post of November 2nd a link to a video - I think at minute 19:05 in the video there's all the information you need.
-
windshield wipers
- after you turn the engine off you need to HOLD DOWN the wipers stalk for a couple of seconds -> wipers will go to service position - on the infotainment, in the Car Setup Menu there's a line saying "Wipers in service position" - tick/untick that when needed.
-
Original wheel/rim characteristics
https://tirewheelguide.com/sizes/skoda/octavia/2022/
-
vRS Matrix headlamp condensation
Plenty of post on this subject... "Search" is your best friend
-
What improvements would you make to the infotainment system?
Normal behavior; the one at the base of the infotainment still works until you open the driver's door and the MiB switches off.
-
Octavia iv real elec range
I see what you mean... and it sounds a bit strange. I didn't notice anything similar on mine, and I'm almost sure it would be the same management SW on both cars, since the entire hybrid system is identical. As I mentioned before, the numbers seem to add up quite nicely in terms of range and real mileage. I even checked against the report of the charging App and things do make sense if one takes into account the charging and discharging efficiencies. Agreed, but that's also the case when driving an ICE - so all in all, the real-world mileage should include everything.
-
Octavia iv real elec range
Ok, so Octavia SW is a bit more optimistic when it comes to consumption evaluation... đ What you're saying is that (since you left with 100% battery) at 15 kWh/100km you would expect 7.5 kWh used over 50 km, which would mean the battery should still have about 25% at destination? That's assuming a total usable capacity of about 10-10.5 kWh... Which actually means that the trip computer report is close to the WLTP, but doesn't make too much sense when you crunch the numbers at the end of your trip, right? On mine - as far as I can tell - the math it's pretty consistent. I have a 12 km trip to work (same trip back in te evening) on flat urban landscape; the car uses on average 25-30% of the battery each way, depending on temperature, traffic (or my shoe đ). So I generally have 40-50% of the battery when I return home after 24 km, which translates into 40-48 full electric range from 100%. That's actually very close the 20-22 kWh/100km the car is reporting, but really far from the WLTP (which I never believed anyway).
-
Octavia iv real elec range
I was wondering the other day what is the average electric consomption you guys get on Octavia; by average I mean per EV trip, since it's too complicated to calculate on long term with the ICE sometimes kicking in... I'm asking because on the Formentor I never saw anything below 17.5 - 17.8 kWh/100 km, and those are really isolated cases, with ideal temperatures and nice traffic. Most of the time I see values between 19 and 22 kWh/100km, urban commute over 12 km, moderate traffic with an average speed of 20-25 km/h over the entire trip. Cupra mentions 14-15 kWh/100km WLTP and I'm constantly getting some 33% above that, without pushing the car and using regen most of the time.
-
Skoda connect app down,,,?
That's so funny! The Skoda and the Cupra servers are down at the same time!!! Hold on to your pants guys, we're in for a treat... complete overhaul! đ¤
-
Octavia iV Granny charging - How to get full charge
Mine needs about 4h to charge from empty to 100% with charging set to "Maximum", and a lot longer when set to "Reduced" charge current. Even with the "Maximum" setting I've never seen the car taking more than 3 kW per hour (average over the charging time) from the charging station, while on the "Reduced" mode it will charge at an average of about 1 kW. p.s. same battery and hybrid system as the Octavia...
-
Fuel consumption throughout the day (IV PHEV)
Sure, charging the battery via the ICE will clearly (and seriously) impact the mileage. On the Formentor I had the opportunity to play just a bit with the battery options: To keep the charge at a certain level - there's no problem, even if I decided to drive a bit sportier. It will give the electric boost anytime I need it and it will recharge quite fast via ICE. Once I tested the charge while driving option; I was down to about 15%, on the highway returning to the city and asked the system to charge to (maybe) 30% - it's hard to say, 'cause the CUPRA menu is different to the Skoda one, so all I can see are level bars instead of percentage. In about 20 km on the highway it got to about 25% - enough for me to cross the city in EV mode. But that was just to test the way it works, otherwise I'm able to charge daily, and for the really long trips I'm reserving some battery percentage from the start of the trip. Too bad you have to remember to set again the battery reserve if you have a stop along your trip... it would be nice if it would remember that setting for short stops. The same way a short stop will not reset your current trip mileage for example. I don't have a picture of that menu on Cupra, but I found something online; if you press the "=" symbol the system will preserve the current charge level...
-
VRS MK4 Road Noise
If you're changing asphalt texture (roughness) - which is quite probable on longer trips or across towns - and the noise that you hear doesn't change tone and/or amplitude, it means it's not coming from the tyres. I personally considered the GoodYear Efficient Grip that were fitted to my Octavia to be very noisy, but one could clearly hear the noise changes with respect to asphalt texture.
-
Fuel consumption throughout the day (IV PHEV)
I didn't know too much about the hybrid system on Octavia, but it's the same one that I now have on the Formentor - it's the one VAG uses across several brands and models. Long story-short, this PHEV IS ABLE to charge itself. I had to search the web for a while and find a video for Octavia (to make sure I'm not wrong correcting you guys), but there it is: Sorry for the French, it's the first I could find... At minute 19:05 you'll find the setting in the infotainment that allows the user to set the car to charge the battery to a certain percentage when needed. Assuming you're on a long highway trip and you depleted your battery on the first part of your journey, but there's a town ahead of you that you want to cross in EV mode, this setting will allow you to either preserve a certain battery level, or to charge it to the desired level using the ICE if the battery is too low.
-
Octavia iv real elec range
Not sure if the Octavia hybrid system behaves the same as the one I now have on the Formentor, but AFAIK it's identical. So, what I've been able to find out so far: - using the left paddle will switch the DSG to Manual Mode, if you press more than once you're actually changing gears down - which in turn means more regen. So it somehow emulates the system that I've met on other EV or hybrid cars - stronger regeneration. - resuming DSG Automatic Mode will be seamless - once you press the accelerator it will go into Auto quite soon. But NOT if you're in Sport Driving Mode; if in Sport, one needs to keep the right paddle pressed for 1-2 seconds and the DSG will go from M to S (not D, obviously). - driving in Sport Mode is almost like driving in one-pedal mode. The regen is automatically set to "Strong"; I've been using it a lot on the winding mountain roads and I barely needed to touch the brake pedal. It's quite nice. However, if I'm not mistaking, when I engage Sport Mode the car Automatically switches to Hybrid - it will not stay in EV mode. - I personally think it's a bit stupid to allow a hybrid car to do "coasting", but over 1 month (since I have the car) I've learnt to go out of coasting using the left paddle when I think it's needed. On the other hand, the CUPRA SW allows the user to set the Regen Mode to Strong, Low or AUTO - I hope the Octavia has the same option. If one uses Strong - it will be almost one-pedal drive, as in the Sport Mode I mentioned above, but without ICE. I tested Low regen setting, and it is too low for my taste... Auto Regen will allow coasting (annoying for me) but the car will start regenerating energy once it detects that the car in front is slowing down or is too close - which is quite a nice feature! And the Regen strength is variable, adjusted by the car - according to the distance to the car in front, or how strong the car in front is braking (BTW - NOT to be confused with ACC!) That is actually showing you what gear is engaged in your DSG. It is really changing gears when you're using the paddles.
-
Climate control etc
- go into the Clima Menu (physical button press or click/touch on the "Clima" text on the bottom of the screen) - go into "Classic AC" sub-menu (see picture below) - click the "AC" round button in the lower part of the screen - the one next to Air-recirculation and temperature-sync. If it's green - AC is on, if it's white - AC is off. When AC is Off, you'll also see a notification (AC OFF) in the bottom of the screen in the black square "Auto CLIMA" - the one next to the clock... see 2nd picture.
-
Any tips on driving an automatic?
I had a several opportunities to check in the rear-view mirror - I noticed that the brake lights coming On depends on regeneration strength. For strong ones it's lights On, for weak ones not. That's on the Formentor, but since the hybrid system is the same, I'm guessing the coding is identical.
-
Any tips on driving an automatic?
You're so right; that's the main thing that bothers me too - especially in dark rainy conditions. But that doesn't stop me from using the AutoHold unfortunately... and I hate doing to others what I don't like myself. However I find it really stupid that the system keeps the brake lights on at full power on AutoHold. There are solutions such as variable intensity - it could have those lights on at less power, especially since all these cars can tell if it's night, day, sun or rain. They just add a tone of sensors and technology on the car, but they're lazy-coding most of the systems; âšī¸
-
Best Winter Tyres
Agreed, that's why I'll soon replace them with Cross Climate 2. I was planning to have a second set - winter dedicated, but since the Factory fitted is so poor, I would have changed them next spring too. I'll give it a go with all-season, the best I could find... On the other hand winters no longer seem to be what they used to, especially in the region where I live. And if I plan a trip into the mountains from time to time it's not too painful to watch out for bad weather warnings in winter. Anyway, CC2 seem to have a great score on snow, compared to some premium winter tyres.