DIY Guide: The 'elephant hose CCV (catch-can) mod'

Basil

Local motor factors should be able to get hold of one

HELLO,YOU ARE BIDDING FOR A NEW FUEL FILTER TO FIT :-

MITSUBISHI COLT 1.2 (06/86-01/88) , 1.3 carb not turbo (06/88-03/92) , 1.5 carb not turbo (04/88-03/92) ,

MITSUBISHI L200 K12T 2.0 (10/86-08/94) , K22T 2.0 (10/86-08/94)

MITSUBISHI L300 PO2 1.6 (10/86-07/94)

PROTON 1.3 8v (03/89-01/91) , 12v (01/91-09/92) , 1.5 8v (03/89-01/91) , 12v (01/91-09/92)

PART NUMBER IS CR 6672 OR GFE7044

an old washing machine hose fits perfectly over outlet on top of engine.make sure to look for one with rubber end complete...fits great..only thing is that it is grey......not exactly oem looking

an old washing machine hose fits perfectly over outlet on top of engine.make sure to look for one with rubber end complete...fits great..only thing is that it is grey......not exactly oem looking

I've got more of the plastic sleeving I used to cover my hose if that's any use to you?

Got round to doing this today.

I used the Mitsubishi/ Proton fuel filter outlined back on the last page.

19mm goodrich hose from the crank case

Then some 10mm hose

And a small breather filter off ebay

and lots of jubilee clips

25mm plastic cap outlined in one of the other pages, from BNQ

I also had to use a small metal hose connector thing I had lying around to reduce the 19mm hose to the 10mm, as the 19mm was too large to put directly onto the fuel filter.

This is a trial position as I cant put the engine cover on at the moment, and plan to shorten the breather hose by about two-thirds.

what do you think?

Will this work?

P1000652.jpg

P1000653.jpg

P1000654.jpg

P1000655.jpg

P1000656.jpg

I've read up a little on this mod on the tdiclub forum, and they dont recommend running an open pipe, I've always had my reservations. They might be unfounded, but meh, I'd be happier with a closed/ filtered set up

Basil, no air is recirculating. I have blocked the inlet off with a grommit, no pipe goes in there.

The pipe runs from the crank case on the cam cover, down to the fuel filter, then a tubing out the other pipe leads to the small breather filter.

A lot of the guys on tdiclub run in very cold conditions (quite a few from remote parts of Canada, mountains etc) so the risk of doing the open-end thing is it freezing up and then backing up, causing issues.

On the UK temperate climate, this is not a risk - Even in winter when temps might get down to -10 or so - It would need something off "The day after Tomorrow" to freeze up the pipe I used to vent off the CC - rough I.D of 15mm from memory.

Here is mine I did last week sometime.

(fitted to my previous car, but cleaned up ready for use on the vRS)

I also posted this elsewhere on here.

I vented back to the inlet for the timebeing, as I'm not sure whether these need positive crankcase ventilation or not. If you guys tell me it doesn't, then I'll whack a filter on the can outlet that would normally go back to the inlet. Whats have you guys used to bung the hole on the inlet? Cos if you don't, you're sucking unfiltered air in.

22854.attach

they dont recommend running an open pipe, I've always had my reservations. They might be unfounded, but meh, I'd be happier with a closed/ filtered set up

Well isnt the filter basically a open end, kinda ??

Here is mine I did last week sometime.

(fitted to my previous car, but cleaned up ready for use on the vRS)

I also posted this elsewhere on here.

I vented back to the inlet for the timebeing, as I'm not sure whether these need positive crankcase ventilation or not. If you guys tell me it doesn't, then I'll whack a filter on the can outlet that would normally go back to the inlet. Whats have you guys used to bung the hole on the inlet? Cos if you don't, you're sucking unfiltered air in.

25mm plastic cap from BNQ a perfect fit

Went out for a 2 hour drive today.. came back and lifted the bonnet whilst the car was idling and there was white smoke coming from my breather filter! about as much as a lit cigarette!

so ive put it back to standard for now.. can anyone explain this?!

They all smoke from the oil vapour - that's why you run the hose end rear of the front axle - you don't want to be breathing the stuff in (unless VAG engine oil is hemp-based:rofl:)

i joined two old washing machine hoses and brought the lenght of it down under the car.actually i stuffed it inside the plastic protection covering that goes down the lenght of car each side of exhaust....but it could be done with cable ties......so it ends up 3/4 way toward back of car........i never notice smoke unless i'm stopped and wind pushes it forward

out of sight out of mind!

Joel,

I got mine from here: 9/15mm OIL CATCH CAN tank toyota nissan subaru ford mr2 on eBay, also Engine Tuning Parts, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 25-Jul-08 07:40:02 BST)

and I fitted it to the flat area beside my air intake using the included tank bracket and some M4 bolts.

I think it would fit here even with a PD160 intake. I really want to get a 160 but they are too much cash at the moment.

I've attached photos of the fixing...