For anyone still suffering from the wind noise problem

A friend and I spent about an hour driving the motorway between junctions sticking tape around the windows and we found that the wind noise on my car comes from the gap between the window seal and the door. The tape as stuck in the picture below silenced the wind noise on both sides (Except now I I can hear the wind noise from the wing mirrors - with the radio off :p)...

Any suggestions as to how this can be sealed? I'm thinking a syringe with a fine point filled with black silicone might work, but the seal doesn't lift easily and I want to leave the seal looking as completely OEM as possble. I'll probably run extra sealing all along the sill of the window as a tiny amount of water sits in that gap anyway.

Wind_noise_1_sm.JPG

My apologies, my description of the cause of the wind noise was not particularly accurate in my earlier post. Psycholist has nailed it, although he may be able to reduce the tape by a couple of inches top and bottom. The workshop repair is to seal between the door and the gasket along the outer edge and not the edge in contact with the glass. You are sealing the edge between the door and the gasket not filling the radius flush to the outer door skin. Skoda uses Kent Sili Gasket or Retech Top Gasket. Both are black and hence do not show when the excess has been wiped away. The normal plastic nozzles that come with sealant tubes should be fine for the job as you do not need to get under the gasket, the pressure should be enough to get sealant a couple of millimeters into the gap.

I finally got around to fixing it yesterday evening. I got a tube of black sealant/all purpose glue stuff from B&Q to use for the job.

First thing I tried was lifting the rubber seal on the inside of the window of the back door and putting a bead of sealant under that - the seal covered it completely, leaving no evidence that anything had been changed. Unfortunately it had no effect on the wind noise either.

Second try was as described earlier in the thread - I ran a very fine bead of sealant around the gap between the door and the window seal and wiped it with a tissue to push the sealant into the gap and leave none stuck to the car's paint or to the outer surface of the seal. I reckon well over 95% of the sealant I used was wiped off (with multiple tissues to avoid spreading sealant elsewhere) afterwards, but the tiny bit that was left did the job and now the car is wind noise free (Unless you count the noise from the wing mirrors, but that's only a problem at 70+ mph with the radio off)...

You'd have to look very hard to find any sign of the sealant too, so no aesthetic worries either.

I decided against the hammering the window guide fix as that isn't loading the window guide is designed to take, so there's a breakage risk and there's a danger that by closing a gap at the back of the fixed glass I'd open a gap at the front doing this...

There's literally nothing to see. The picture I linked in post #26 shows the locations where I taped off the seal to eliminate the wind noise, so the chances are these locations in your car are where you need to target - tape them and see.

To apply the sealant I just ran a thin bead (Didn't even cut the nozzle, just used the small hole the nozzle shipped with) along the gap between the seal and the door then wiped it off with a clean tissue to force a very small amount of it into the gap. I changed to a fresh spot in the tissue every few cm along the seal to make sure I didn't smear sealant onto the car away from the seal. All the sealant that wasn't pushed into the tiny gap between the seal and the door has been wiped away, so there's no obvious difference (Until you hit about 50 mph and realise the wind noise is gone).

Edited by psycholist

To apply the sealant I just ran a thin bead (Didn't even cut the nozzle, just used the small hole the nozzle shipped with) along the gap between the seal and the door then wiped it off with a clean tissue to force a very small amount of it into the gap. I changed to a fresh spot in the tissue every few cm along the seal to make sure I didn't smear sealant onto the car away from the seal. All the sealant that wasn't pushed into the tiny gap between the seal and the door has been wiped away, so there's no obvious difference (Until you hit about 50 mph and realise the wind noise is gone).

Thanks for that, off to B&Q I go!

Adam (Read, Tarty, hello Cormac!)

Had a bit of a play around last night, and I'm pretty sure I've cured mine with a slightly different solution.

I wasn't too confident applying sealant to the outside of my car as I was pretty sure I'd make a mess of it :giggle: So I had a poke around and found another way of doing it.

I had noticed that the window and gasket 'assembly' would shift around in the door frame, maybe 2-3mm if I pushed left-right (towards/away from the centre of the car), but not on the other side. The location that it shifted is shown below:

wind1.jpg

On the inside of the door there is a rubber 'boot' that sits all the way around the inside of the door frame and appears to be the same part that the window sits into on the outside. Lifting this up showed a bit of dust in the location shown in the above photo, so I'm pretty sure that was the offending area.

Rather than sealing on the outside (which also uses a very small amount of sealant which might degrade with time?), I chose to seal on the inside. I went all the way round to make sure I got all the possible areas where the wind noise could come in (red line):

wind2.jpg

You can afford to splodge quite a bit on as it's completely out of sight, plus when the boot flips back into place it will automatically squidge the sealant into the right places to form a seal.

wind3.jpg

Wasn't too bothered about using black sealant as it's not seen, and I had some translucent stuff left over from another job :yes: I'll have a look at it later today to make sure it's gone off alright, but from my quick ~70mph test last night it seems to have worked :D

Any questions just shout,

Adam

• Like 4

Stupid question but is the issue that ....

air is getting in between the window seal and door

OR

because of a gap, the wind is catching and creating turbulance and hence noise?

If it's the 2nd one then siliconing inside won't do anything for it? Must say I like the idea of the 2nd option in that you can't see it. I was never really sure if the noise on mine was road or wind noise.

Edited by GAFF

I'm pretty sure it's number 1 (which then causes wind noise)... The 'fix' I've done has definitely cured it anyway :thumbup:

There is a definite difference between the two noises (wind and road), it's very hard to describe but road noise is much more of a 'rumble' and the wind noise I had was kinda 'whistly', but a low pitch. I guess it's sort of like having the rear window open a tiny but, but a bit more 'tinny' rather than bassy. Kinda wish I hadn't fixed it now so I could get a sound recording, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for info...

I fixed this issue using the non sealant method.

Window down.

Something in window channel where fixed glass meets moving glass (I used a drinks coaster - number plate apparantly works too).

Hit with hammer (not very hard) 6 times - top middle and bottom twice each.

Seemed to adjust it enough to cure the wind noise.

Worth a go before anyone starts spreading sealant everywhere as it's free and only takes 5 mins.

• Like 1

Awesome! I went the sealant route as anything that involves me, cars and a hammer usually ends badly :giggle: Great for people to have two options that we know work :thumbup:

Edited by AdamR

• 1 year later...

Had a bit of a play around last night, and I'm pretty sure I've cured mine with a slightly different solution.

I wasn't too confident applying sealant to the outside of my car as I was pretty sure I'd make a mess of it :giggle: So I had a poke around and found another way of doing it.

I had noticed that the window and gasket 'assembly' would shift around in the door frame, maybe 2-3mm if I pushed left-right (towards/away from the centre of the car), but not on the other side. The location that it shifted is shown below:

wind1.jpg

On the inside of the door there is a rubber 'boot' that sits all the way around the inside of the door frame and appears to be the same part that the window sits into on the outside. Lifting this up showed a bit of dust in the location shown in the above photo, so I'm pretty sure that was the offending area.

Rather than sealing on the outside (which also uses a very small amount of sealant which might degrade with time?), I chose to seal on the inside. I went all the way round to make sure I got all the possible areas where the wind noise could come in (red line):

wind2.jpg

You can afford to splodge quite a bit on as it's completely out of sight, plus when the boot flips back into place it will automatically squidge the sealant into the right places to form a seal.

wind3.jpg

Wasn't too bothered about using black sealant as it's not seen, and I had some translucent stuff left over from another job :yes: I'll have a look at it later today to make sure it's gone off alright, but from my quick ~70mph test last night it seems to have worked :D

Any questions just shout,

Adam

Will give this a try, I do not hear the noise this but have been told about this from nearside rear passengers :thumbup:

Get the noise, but can't hear it up front unless on really smooth tarmac and no other noise (stereo on). May have a go with the sealant method, cause I don't understand the Hammer Method :(

I've been suffering that noise for ages now, I just tried the whack it with a hammer method and I can see it's already closed the gap. I had a few beers last night so I'll leave it till I've finished work and test it on the way home. I bought a 2005 ex taxi and I thought the noise was coming from where the taxi sign cables jammed in the drivers door at first. If the hammer fix hasn't worked I'll run a bead of sealant tomorrow.

• 2 months later...