I feel like I'm the only vRS enthusiast around here

shark_90

I've been into the forum thing for a long time and had a few nice cars. Like minded owners would often give a flash and a wave in previous cars, but I've seen probably 15 Octavia vRSs around since I bought mine and not one of them appears to be interested!

I'll sometimes give a flash and a wave or perhaps a nod but every vRS I've come across on the roads has been driven by a middle aged beardy bloke or a middle aged beardy woman who have just looked at me blankly, or just ignored me totally. I'm 23 and love my Octavia, am I the only person this side of beardyness to own one? Or am I expecting owner enthusiasm that's just not there? :(

At the end of the day Skoda is pretty much a main stream brand now and when the TDI VRS was launched it was prime for business users.

At the end of the day I'm afraid that Skoda ownership isn't something on a par with being in the MG Owners club.

As WW suggests you best keeping an eye out for Briskoda stickers!

I'm the same as above, don't really agree with there being a lot more mkII VRS' around, I just think the MKI is a lot more affordable for the younger driver with less choice due to cashflow etc.

When the mkII gets down to the 4k mark you'll see loads of young lads in them once the beardy crew sell them on.

By the way, I'm not one of the beardy crew, I'm another car nut who just happened to think the mkII VRS was an absolute bargain and a hidden gem among the medium size sporty hatchbacks

I have the Brisky sticker on the back window (below high level brake light) and briskoda.net on the front (black on silver paint) just above the licence plate and never been waved at........ other than some geezer in a reflective yellow jacket and silly hat pointing a laser at me.......... but thats another story completly......

Steve

Same here. I almost give up trying to get a response from these people. I think that the VRS is an affordable car for a number of people that just aren't enthusiasts. Just people who know a good bargain and spec for the cash they are paying. People in the past bought MGB GT's, Triumph Stag's and the like because they were enthusiasts and therefore shared that enthusiasm with other drivers. I also think also some people(not all of us) are so keen to get from A to B that they also don't pay to much attention to seeing another car like there’s on the road.

You're just seeing normal road users that's all, who happen to be in the same make and model of car as you :)

I get it all the time round here, but now and again you'll pass someone like-minded; it's usually Jay ;)

Just keep an eye out and don't be disheartened; as said, forum stickers are the easiest, or a few tweaks to the car - obvious, or not so obvious ;)

Steve

There are tons of Mk2 vRS around here, most days where I do go to the office, I spot at least ten of them. Also a fair few Fabia vRS-es around here, some are probably members here, a lot are not.

In any case, I'll give a wave if I see you & get to that area in the UK (which admittedly is not *that* likely at the moment, but hey :))

sorry but the vRS just isn't a classic, special or have history like other cars so this won't really be that common. this is far more common on things like a golf GTi, classic fords etc etc due to history that simply doesn't exist in the skoda/vrs name.

Unfortunately i think its just a modern trend in general, When i ride my motorbike used to nod at and getted nodded to by all bikers (was like a nodding dog when a group went by lol) but over the last couple of years have noticed 1-a snob factor setting in those on more expensive sports bikes don't bother and then 2-there is the what i call the BMW syndrome, nodded to a big BMW tourer got no response at all (by the way in my 40's and not a hooligan biker ) by coincidence ended up at the same place as him near Fleet st. as i recognised the one piece m/cycle suit he was wearing, any way saw him take off the one piece and had a suit and tie on underneath, put all his biker gear in his panniers and walk off with his briefcase. You'd never know he was a biker, almost as if he was trying to hide it.

Sorry if it seems i hijacked a bit but i kind of thought the principles were the same. They use the vrs but to them its just a car with no enthusiasm at all. They may as well be in a base 1600 model for all the difference it makes to them, however at least a vrs looks good on their drive. touch of the snob factor as its a newer car than their neighbour's got maybe! Shame more motorists are becoming like this. :(

There are tons of Mk2 vRS around here, most days where I do go to the office, I spot at least ten of them. Also a fair few Fabia vRS-es around here, some are probably members here, a lot are not.

In any case, I'll give a wave if I see you & get to that area in the UK (which admittedly is not *that* likely at the moment, but hey :))

I'll be in Oxford at the Churchill next week, mini meet? Will your car be finished by then? ;):thumbup:

Unfortunately i think its just a modern trend in general, When i ride my motorbike used to nod at and getted nodded to by all bikers (was like a nodding dog when a group went by lol) but over the last couple of years have noticed 1-a snob factor setting in those on more expensive sports bikes don't bother and then 2-there is the what i call the BMW syndrome, nodded to a big BMW tourer got no response at all (by the way in my 40's and not a hooligan biker ) by coincidence ended up at the same place as him near Fleet st. as i recognised the one piece m/cycle suit he was wearing, any way saw him take off the one piece and had a suit and tie on underneath, put all his biker gear in his panniers and walk off with his briefcase. You'd never know he was a biker, almost as if he was trying to hide it.

Sorry if it seems i hijacked a bit but i kind of thought the principles were the same. They use the vrs but to them its just a car with no enthusiasm at all. They may as well be in a base 1600 model for all the difference it makes to them, however at least a vrs looks good on their drive. touch of the snob factor as its a newer car than their neighbour's got maybe! Shame more motorists are becoming like this. :(

I'm also a biker and generally get a nod but I know what you mean. My machine is an S reg Bandit 600 so not exactly up there with some of the sports bikes etc.

As for the other part of your post.. that's kind of what I meant. I can understand someone in a 1.6 boggo spec Octavia not waving back but then I wouldn't be waving at them in the first place, but people with vRSs I would sort of expect them to be at least a little bit into their cars otherwise what's the point of having it? They definitely didn't buy it for the badge.. I'd expect someone who cared about the badge to buy a boggo spec 1.6 Audi A3 for less money :thumbup:

Heartening story - I passed somebody in mine on Sunday morning, flashed him from infront and got a one-finger-wave off the steering wheel. Have put it in the "spotted" forum (Stone Cross Lane Lowton) but nobody has owned up yet!

We're not all old and beardy - I'm 28.

PS - also a biker - Yamaha YZF750 - from the old school! And not noticed a dwindling in acknowledgement from others on that front. Maybe all your neighbours are just miserable! :D

I pulled along side a standard black mk1 Octavia vRS last week at a roundabout with two mid 20 year old lads in. They were breaking their necks to have a nosey at mine & when they looked at me I gave them a :thumbup: They just gave me a weird look:confused:

I used to wave to other oncoming mk1 octavia vRS drivers at the start, I could go a few months without spotting one, so I don't class them as a common car. The look on most of the drivers faces though is of confusion & horror. I don't think I've ever had anyone wave back.:( So I have stopped doing it. God knows why I acknowledged the two lads last week, most probably out of politeness:rolleyes:

The only recognition I've had is from similar cars having a play - an Astra SRi tdi and a Golf mk4 gti notably. Left the Golf for dead in a big cloud of soot and he was giving me the :thumbup: at the next roundabout! (The Astra was more than a match. Apologies for the VS :o)

Edited by Kaiserb_uk

To be honest, I think I have had more nods of appreciation from fellow Mk2 L&K drivers than SWMBO has in her vRS. Guess which club is more exclusive though :rolleyes:

If you want a wave from every driver of the marque then I am afraid you will have to buy an original mini, used to get waved and flashed by everyone from 18 yo spotty oiks to 80 yo blue rinses in the cooper:)

We used to when my dad used to own Minis - the number of people that waved at us was amazing :D

Shark90 - I come down to your part of the world quite often and in the past year I think I've only seen 2 vRS's (there are millions of 'em where I live). If I see any while I'm down this week I'll wave :D

I do try and wave to other Skodas when I'm out and about but so far only one person who I didn't know has ever waved back :confused:

Since I've had my Fab vRS I've had a guy in a red one at a junction go past in the next lane, stop in the que and almost get out of his seat to look back.. as I passed he beeped, I beeped back..

Waiting to pull out of my own road the other day, identical vRS came past, the driver grinning at me,.. I grinned and nodded back.. he said something to his lady passenger who looked at me, then him.. she didn't look impressed.. lol! think it went down as "boys and there toys"

• 1 month later...

My old man drives a WRX and the scooby drivers always give each other a wave or a flash. Im always tempted to give another vrs driver a flash or wave, but dont want to end up looking like a t**t

bearded guys, lol

your in luck if you see me. im 25, and i cant really vouch for a beard, but i can grow some mean *** ginger fluff patches under my chin. plus id definately wave back.

keep a look out. around sussex for 1 month in april.