Never produced Skodas

PhilH

A rough translation of the commentary in the first video:

Red color is typical for Ferrari but in this case we have here even more exclusive car. You might wonder - what might be more exclusive than a thoroughbred from Maranello. You might be surprised but it`s a Skoda.

And really, this is no Aprils fools joke. This Skoda with model designation 720 is probably the only surviving prototype of the model. Because of a political decision it has never reached production despite the fact the development was finished and first cars tested.

This is how the successor to the popular Skoda 1000MB was to look like. With a lenght of 4.30 metres it was a typical midsize saloon. Sporty looks were supported by four round headlamps and negative angle of the front facia. Flowing lines of the back finished of the elegant looks. The famous Italdesign was signed under the style of the new car and although the cooperation with the italians came at a cost of 40M csk it also introduced modern procedures and know-how.

Couple of prototypes in three body shapes and two types of the front end were produced in 1969. The front of the car would reveal what engine and trim the car had. The quad-lamp version would have a petrol 1.5 litre engine while smaller 1.2 litre would only have two headlamps. A simple instrument panel fully satisfied the needs of the prototype vehicle however a lot of parts and design ideas were later used in the 105/120 model range. The seats are soft and comfortable and the back seats are generously roomy. The four cylinder petrol engine made out of light alloys develops 87hp at 5500rpm. Together with 125nm of torque and four speed gearbox brings the car to a maximum speed of around 95mph.

All the wheels had independent wishbone suspension with coil springs and telescopic dampers. Car was equipped with disc brakes at the front and drum brakes at the back. Thanks to soft suspension it likes to roll in the corners and when compared to modern cars the steering is heavy and not precise.

There was a long list of optional equipment prepared for the model, like ABS air conditioning, automatic gearbox, disc brakes for the back wheels and even a pneumatic suspension was considered. It is obvious that the 720 was created by enthusiastic engineers who were working on a completely new type of car than before. They have proved they would have been able to produce a car that would have not been lost in the world market however it was not meant to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Skoda Concepts Cars - Ahoj - home

This is one that definitely should have been produced. The 2005 date is deceptive, the project goes back way before this. It is the remnant of what could, and should have been a mini-Skoda on the same platform and at the same as the Lupo/Arosa...for which Boleslav made engines, FFS !

While the major decisions about which of the brands stands for what, who will get money for what motorsport and that Skoda won't attempt to produce a W16 Lambo-beater,are made in Wolfsburg, in between there is some brand leeway and freedom - the decision not to make the Ahoj! was a Boleslav one, ......Big Mistake....Big, Huge. It came from the factory's mind-set that Skoda made 'family cars' and this was too small to be a true example, not acknowledging that families already had 2 or more cars of varying dimensions and uses.

So now we have the style-conscious Roomster, a 4x4 MPV and a limo(-ish) Superb2 but still no small car to compete with the Asian hordes. And Fabia2s are only competetively priced through in-house leasing and at Skoda Auto employee prices.

Oh yes, and Skoda turned down the chance to have their own badged version of the Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra, albeit in a very basic spec.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Re:720. The side profile looks remarkably similar to that of the very first 5 series BMW, particularly at the rear quarter. One can only wonder at the 'political decision' that stopped such an evidently competent car being produced when its development was so far advanced. Perhaps the Kremlin did not like being shown up with its Ladas and Moskvitchs and got 'The Party' to lean on Skoda. I've no idea, but i'd not be surprised. The car showed far too much initiative. For 1970 it was really quite a technically advanced vehicle. What a shame.

Alfie

• 2 weeks later...
There was a long list of optional equipment prepared for the model, like ABS air conditioning, automatic gearbox, disc brakes for the back wheels and even a pneumatic suspension was considered. It is obvious that the 720 was created by enthusiastic engineers who were working on a completely new type of car than before. They have proved they would have been able to produce a car that would have not been lost in the world market however it was not meant to be.

All amazing stuff for it's time. When I heard him say ABS I thought he was saying "the brakes are crap" lol. I read somewhere they originally planned to make the Rapid front engined but decided not to as they didn't want to be seen trying to out-do their eastern-bloc neighbours. Guess they didn't want a troop invasion once they destroyed Lada.

Hello everybody!

I am a new member in this forum.I love it so much .

I aslo want to ask you one question.Please tell me your idea.It is so important to me :

How cam I make friend with a pretty girl ?

Thank a lot!

Calcul taux simulation credit auto, Comparatif de simulation credit auto, Financement voiture et pret automobile

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think it looks a lot more like a Bentley Conti GT to me.

That's probably because the Conti designer came from Skoda :)

I think the idea of the Tudor was to show "what they could do if they were allowed"

It is a shame that they were not!

Edited by OctaviaT81