Mpg????????

Hi all, just filled (3 click method) my octavia 2.0 tdi dsg and just checked my onboard computer and says 450 miles till i need to re fuel. This cant be right this is my second Octavia 2.0 tdi with dsg and the mpg on the new one is garbage compared to my last one. I have just taken the new car upto 9500 miles and I drive like a vicars wife but I can never get five hundred miles out of a tank full.

I called in Bickertons this week to ask if this mpg was ok, and the service department said and quote " thats good about average". So please guys let me know what you get to a tank full? Cheers Dave.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well when i fill the vrs up the computer comes up 590 miles and i don't drive like vicar well only when its warming up.But sometimes i get more mileage and other times i don't,just depends how i drive.

I manage to get 460 - 480 miles between fills. This equates to about 43mpg (brim to brim averaged over 18K) - the car says pretty much the same. I have seen an average of 52mpg appear transiently on the many miles of 50mph road works on the M1 at Notts.

The 450 miles to a tank full also includes the 50 miles in the reserve. So what do other 2.0 tdi dsg drivers get to a tank full then. I know it also depends on what type of roads you are driving on, but I mainly drive on country roads, motorways, and little urban roads eg 30mph roads.

As you can see in my spritmonitor.de bit in my sig, I'm just under 47 mpg on the VRS. Maxidot long term figure is actually slightly less than that, about 3% pessimistic. I generally think about filling up after about 550 miles. I'm hoping my economy will improve now the DPF is gone.

Economy on the 1.9 PD105 was better. I'd never fill up before 600 miles. Driving frugally I could reach 650 miles.

I'd be gutted with your figures :(

Have a look at PD140 Golfs and Octavias with DSG on spritmonitor.de to get a feel for what other people are getting.

I see an indicated 48-51mpg on my vRS TDi but doing the maths after a fill up shows this is actually under reading by 2-3mpg. Only had the car for a few weeks so only done 2 fill ups but its looking good so far. The car has just flipped over 11k miles & i do a 54 mile round trip to work on dual cariage way & motorway with the cruise on at 65mph normally. Easiest way to improve mpg is to not use the turbo much basically so change gears early & slowly accelerate in town etc

Do you mean get it in mpg rather than l/km? You need to register (well worth doing, it's free and excellent :thumbup: ). I edited the post above to include the manual link too and mean mpg for each.

I usually get the fuel warning bong coming on at 450+ miles on the trip counter. And having just been away driving around Europe on holiday the computer was saying 45 mpg. That's cruising at 80 mph with a boot full of luggage too.

When I fill up my Manual 2.0TDi, the computer generally says I have between 600-650 miles before the next refuel. In real world I need to fill up at just over 550 miles. My car has 81K miles on the clock.

A quick look at the Skoda website suggests that the latest Octavia 2.0TDI has a difference of 4mpg between the manual and DSG, in the manual's favour.

That said, I've a 55 reg 40k 2.0TDI 140 manual and that has averaged a calculated 46mpg since new and I get about 550 to a tank. The majority of that is my daily commute which is a 28 mile trip on A and B roads and when I get the chance I don't hang about. Giving it the beans always seems to improve my mpg :D

If the comp. says 36-39 and is about 8% over-optimistic (as mine is) then that sounds like something is amiss. Try giving it a bit of welly during your next tank full to see if your old lady driving style is actually proving detrimental.

Fill your car until the pump clicks once.

reset the trip computer before driving off.

When it needs filling up return to the same garage and same pump if possible and refil until it clicks once.

note the litres to fill up and miles travelled.

Divide the miles by the litres and times the answer by 4.55 to give you the accurate MPG

THIS IS THE ONLY ACCURATE WAY TO CHECK MPG

The miles until empty figure given by the MFD is based on the most recent trip and will not necesarily represent the miles to empty based on the average mpg over a tankful

hope that helps

I have just managed 2 tanks at 586 and 583 putting in 51.21 and 50,76 litres

I have found that as the miles clock up the consumption gets better120K at the moment

My fuel consumption is also a lot worse on my second Octy. I also cannot seem to get much above 40mpg . On the upside I seem to be driving a bit more sedately because of this (but never like a saint), and also my front tyres are lasting a bit longer!!

Previous Octy always got around 44-47mpg no matter how it was driven!!

My mileage is now just passed 12k and both cars were 2.0 140tdi's (manual)

I suppose that there is a measurable difference between individual engines. new engine also seems a bit less smooth than previous unit but all in all still a great car.

The car reckons my wifes VRS PD170 is doing 42mpg , not great considering its pretty much all motorway or dual carriageway on her commute and its probably optimistic

My Superb 2 170CR reckons i'm averaging 46mpg so far but checking manually its closer to 42mpg in reality