'Water Ingress Problem'........SOLVED!

Baker21

Guys, reading this post and others has me a tad worried, just picked up a 58 plate, less than 3000 on the clock, hardly been used, but the interior lights, map lights, vanity mirror lights and boot light aren't working, this is on any setting on the switch, not on opening with the remote etc, the door ajar warning symbol lights up ok when the doors are opened, the rears work on the switch, whether they come on with the others i don't know, as i've never seen them working..now as my car is only just 18 months old, would this still be covered by the manufacturer's warranty?? all help would be appreciated, regards Mark

Mine went at 34 months old and it was covered in full.

• 2 months later...

You can see my write up of when I sorterd it out on my car here with some photos. The amount of water in the underlay was shocking.

My link

Edited by Nackuk
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good evening everyone!

As you may know, Norn Iron isgetting it beat up with wind and rain and my battery compartment had litres of water in it and it had started to come in to the cab around my feet and through the blower unit. I now know what to ask the (hopefully) nice man/men at the Belfast Skoda dealership to do. Which is to remove the bl**dy gromets and keep the water from giving my battery a bath.

You know it's bad when you turn the fan on and it creates more mist on the inside than it clears!!!

Great post and and a great and very useful forum. Be proud boys! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I did wonder!

IMO just remove the plenum grommets, and seal the pollen filter housing with a good thick bead of sealant and you wont need a live feed lying around!

As i said anyone with a bit of mechanical knowledge could do it in a couple of hours, now when you know that sooner or later it's going to leak if you do nothing then can you really not afford a couple of hours of your time and a bit of sealant?

Hi guys. I'm new here, only joined yesterday. Have had a Bmw for the last 10 nears, but after seeing a Superb, I am converted. Ready to buy it (1.9tdi 130 comfort, 04 plate, 102,000 on clock), but am worried about this water problem. How can I tell if this car has had this problem and has sorted it or not had the problem yet?

I am capable of doing the basic work, but may need help with some of the parts you refer to (gromets etc).

I really like the car and don't want to be put off. :-)

And, just in case, what would the cost of rectification be to get it sorted? So I can factor it in the price. At the moment, I can get it for £3,750.

Many thanks guys.

Syanide

The biggest give away is if any of the following do not work:

interior lights,

puddle lights under the mirrors,

electric mirrors,

central locking

If they don't then it's a pretty safe bet that the car has had water ingress, personally if any of the above are not working then walk away an find another one that is OK emoticon-0111-blush.gif.

Have a look at my blog which covers the water ingress this Fixing Passat Leak PDF will walk you through it and show you where the grommets are located emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Cool. So, if those things are all working, then I'm ok for now - except for how long that is the question, I suppose, hey?

Cool, thanks for your help. Will see what the garage say and if I go for the RAC check, then I'll point out to check in particular about the above.

Syanide

Cool. So, if those things are all working, then I'm ok for now - except for how long that is the question, I suppose, hey?

Cool, thanks for your help. Will see what the garage say and if I go for the RAC check, then I'll point out to check in particular about the above.

Syanide

Check under the passenger front and rear mat's if they have some, if the carpet is wet or damp then the problem will be there, also if the car is suffering from condensation on the front windscreen then this is also a sure sign............. :thumbup:

The biggest give away is if any of the following do not work:

interior lights,

puddle lights under the mirrors,

electric mirrors,

central locking

Now, this may sound really silly, and I'm sorry if it does. By interior lights, you mean the ones in the roof of the car that come on when the doors open etc? And by Puddle lights under the mirrors, you mean ...actually, I don't know what you mean here!

The other two, I think I'm ok with!

Can anyone help a 36 year old bloke with a 2.1 Maths Degree who likes to make a fool of himself?? And unitl recently, I thought I was fairly competent with cars!

Many thanks

Syanide

Now, this may sound really silly, and I'm sorry if it does. By interior lights, you mean the ones in the roof of the car that come on when the doors open etc? And by Puddle lights under the mirrors, you mean ...actually, I don't know what you mean here!

The other two, I think I'm ok with!

Can anyone help a 36 year old bloke with a 2.1 Maths Degree who likes to make a fool of himself?? And unitl recently, I thought I was fairly competent with cars!

Many thanks

Syanide

Large Interior light in the centre of the head lining above the front two seats;

One small light above the door on the Passengers Rear Door;

One small light above the door on the Drivers Rear Door;

Foot Well lamp - one per footwell;

LED Puddle Lamp one under each wing mirror;

Puddle Lamp one in the bottom of each door.

;)

Hello.

Just bought 2005 superb. All lights are working, but I want to repair the ingress problem still. I consulted my Skoda's dealer and asked for the improved seal for pollen filter.

8D0819165B - Seal for pollen filter

3B0819211 - SEAL CORD

Are these the improved ones and should I order them. I think that I have this foam seal in there. Then I can clean the drain holes and change the seal also.

Guys, I feel like I've let the Briskodians down! I have let myself down!

I attempted this task this evening as I am going away for about a week, and wanted to make sure it is ok, while I am away..

Anyway, I read and re-read the various guides and after a few PMs with Gizmo (Thanks, really appreciated) I gave it a go. Unfortunately, I got stuck at the 'take the battery out' stage!

I managed to get the plastic cover off; took the battery leads off; even managed to unclip the huge cable holder/spongy thing! Even managed to unclamp the battery.

However, I couldn't take it out! I have no doubt it is possible, but its tough! I'm a 6ft, 17st dude, but with the awkward positioning of the battery and the plastic strip being in a way. I did try to take the wiper off - to give some 'give' on the strip, but that was harder than it looks.

Worryingly, i did see a puddle of water under the battery :'(

But, it was well under the battery stand and I was able to syphon some of it out. I am just hoping this can wait until I get back in a weeks time. What do you think guys? What sort of rain/waterfall do I have to experience for it be a problem in a week?

When i get back, i will either give it another go, or take it someone.

For anyone that is trying this, I would not underestimate that 'take the battery out' stage. I think it is plain sailing after that. The batter clamp was a pain to put back together, due to awkwardness of where the bolt goes. My long magnet thingy with a LED on the end came in handy as the bolt fell at one stage.

Syanide

The battery is a tight fit, but it will come out once it is (IIRC) angled towards the front of the car.

Your grommets are obviously blocked up, IIRC you can actually just about get to the one by the servo with the battery in situ?

018_blocked.jpg

it would be worth poking the middle of the grommet to let the water out (be careful though as a brake pipe also runs through the grommet) and then park with the front end of the car pointing downhill whenever possible.

I would imagine it would take a few days of normal rain to fill the plenum chamber up? but a really good downpour may also be enough?

Thanks. I just don't think I'm going to get a chance now until I get back. Have got a full day off after the day I get back, so will have a crack then. In the meantime, I just hope it doesn't train that much. Although, surely if its only filled up this much in the 9 years its been out, a week won't make that much difference? Famous last words.

In the meantime, is it not possible to locate the grommets from underneath the car to try and give them a poke? If only to drain it a bit?

Thanks.

Syanide.

Firstly - apologies for only skim reading the topic, I suspect the answer I seak is spelt out clearly in here somewhere.

Anyway - had the problem of a flickering/sometimes not working front interior light - i've just lifted the rear/pass carpet and spotted that a whole bunch of red wires have corroded out of the joint/crimpy thing they were all slotted into. Is this a simple task of joining all these wires together? If so what's the name of the joiny thing which I need to slot them all into, don't want to look a knob when I go the motor factors - or can they all be just taped together- many thanks

Obviously I could wait all day for a reply so i've given up being a lazy ****** and read the thread - found this post which looks like it covers my problem.......

You can see my write up of when I sorterd it out on my car here with some photos. The amount of water in the underlay was shocking.

My link

do I need to dosconnetc the battery to do the part of the job just covering the joing together of the red wires?????....any further comments would be most welcome

Edited by williebob

Managed to sort it fairly easily. Didn't get the exact part used to join all the wires, but the thing I did get seems to have done the trick, although at least one of the wires musn't have a good connection because i've just discovered that the boot interior light isn't working. Don't think I can be bothered to strip it all back down in order to sort it out - besides, the bulb might have gone.

Managed to sort it fairly easily. Didn't get the exact part used to join all the wires, but the thing I did get seems to have done the trick, although at least one of the wires musn't have a good connection because i've just discovered that the boot interior light isn't working. Don't think I can be bothered to strip it all back down in order to sort it out - besides, the bulb might have gone.

The boot light is controlled via one of the red wires if your bulb hasn't blown. (my boot light didn't work until I repaired the joint)

Edited by Nackuk

• 3 weeks later...

This link may also be of use:

Fixing Passat Leak

Or this useful post by Gizmo68:

http://briskoda.net/forums/blog/18/entry-62-superb-mki-water-ingress-cure/

Hi. Has someone hijacked the "Fixing Passat Leak" link? Everytime I link to it, it shows me a music video of some people dressed as foxes dancing!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Been researching thread carefully and have to say my 2007 Superb with just 14,000 on the clock must have the ingress problem. I have only had the car 6 months. I am about to go to my local and very friendly dealer as I have the full 12 month Skoda warranty with it. Can you advise if this should be covered by warranty and how to approach issue? The car is like brand new, but like others the interior lights are not working and the puddle lights likewise.

Also I see that water is pouring from my washer bottle down my inner wing. Is this likely to be a burst/disconnected pipe to bottle or burst bottle. Warranty again? Easy fix?

Love the car but must say a bit disappointed with these issues so far. My fourth Skoda having owned a Fabia estate, Fabia VRS, Octavia VRS and now 2.0td Superb (growing family).

• 3 months later...

hi there im looking at your repairs to wiring

mine will start soon, as ive the same issues,

but i havent seen or read about the rear footwell on the ns causing issues

was there a problem in the raar footwell aswell?

or was it a check, are there these crimped nodes in the back?

i thought it was just confined to the front, so ive checked mine there only but ive just read and seen your account and now im concerned

Well guys I have been on here for a long time now and have always said, I have never had the water ingress problem, well I now have........... :thumbdown:

With all the recent bad weather and me having use of an Audi A6, I had left the Superb sat out back for over a month or so, with all the snow and ice nicely dripping into the pollen filter area. I ended up replacing the battery over the cold period, through fault of my own, having left my other mobile docked on charge in the car.......... :no:

Having replaced the battery, I had obviously disturbed the pollen filter area and over the last two weeks, started to loose my interior lamps, boot lamps, door lamps, etc.

Now I had read all the threads in here and had a PM chat with Gizmo68 but decided I would get the help of someone that knows what they are doing, that person is ofcourse Ross......... :smirk:

Below are some pics of Ross working his magic on the car and for those of you that think my car is never used and always spottless well, these pics show it in it's daily form, so here we go, figured that these pics may be of use to some of you guys on here, the comments I have put with the pics are Ross's that I have pulled off Facebook........ :thumbup:

I think all these live wires should be joined together, that be why the interior lights dont be working:

140210004.jpg

Water, eck:

140210005.jpg

Repaired and re loomed:

140210006.jpg

Conv ECu fortunately dry, floor however not:

140210007.jpg

Stripping out scuttle area to get to pollen filter housing:

140210008.jpg

In bits:

140210010.jpg

140210009.jpg

All clean ready to be resealed:

140210011.jpg

Fudged seal:

140210012.jpg

Ross just has a few more bits to do tomorrow and I will pick the car back up but I have to say I am glad I let him do it.......... :thumbup:

I know that this is a problem all Superb driver's may encounter at some stage so I hope the pics are helpful.

This link may also be of use:

Fixing Passat Leak

Or this useful post by Gizmo68:

http://briskoda.net/forums/blog/18/entry-62-superb-mki-water-ingress-cure/

hi there

im doing this exact operation on my 05 superb

this link got me into looking into the rear footwell to find the wiring faults, again i thought it was only in the front,

pollen housing is now sorted

cleaned and sealed with a good sealer

carpets are drip drying

wiring will be done when interior is dry

thanks everyone,

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the guide!

One thing, my pollen-filter is located on the right side of the car (the british driver's side) so I wonder if anyone knows if the wires and such is located on this side also?

/Stefan

20110402160650.jpg

Edited by gl3on