retro fit cruise control Octavia II

Just been looking at cruise control kits for sale could any one advise me on a good unit but not expensive ?

To fit on my ( o5 octavia 2.0 tdi 140 bhp dsg auto )

With all these cameras going up now on the road works on the moto ways it probably a good time to look into getting one fitted and is there one of the members on her who could fit one for me at a price (obviously) near the st,Helen's area ?

Cheers kev.

Two little tabs on the top left and right rear, on my 2006 I had to remove the steering controller first which is the very bottom square as the electrical connector from the slip ring goes into it. There is a small silver screw (hex) on the lower front remove this.

Looking at the pics there is a clip at the rear to be pressed in (towards yourself) and then the controller off the car shows a groove that you have to insert something long and thin like allen keys in. If you insert the allen key slightly to your right and then move it to your left (like red arrows) it pushes in the clip. Then release the two clips shown in the last pic and remove slip ring making sure you don't turn it.

Thanks for that - I've only just seen it and managed to do the job earlier after watching a YouTube vid, but your post with the pics if really helpful and would definitely have solved my issue which was 'why isn't the sodding steering control module coming off!'

Once that was done, I slid the stalk/switch out which took a bit more force than I expected but doesn't seem to have damaged anything. All back together inside 15 minutes, just got to run the adaption on the steering angle again.

Anyone thinking of doing this, get a scan of your car first... Find the steering controller version, the PM Eddie-NL and he will be able to tell you if you need to change the controller or not.. He did for me and was spot on, He also sells the stalks for a very reasonable price, you will need VCDS though to code it but mine was done in about 90 mins, and that included half hour for a coffee after disconnecting the battery to let the Airbag discharge!!! 

Can any tell me the rough price of the after market cruise control ? Then a rough price of someone doing the clever stuff with the vcds for me?

Cheers kev.

Can any tell me the rough price of the after market cruise control ? Then a rough price of someone doing the clever stuff with the vcds for me?

Cheers kev.

PM eddie-NL on here, from memory about £55 quid or so for a genuine stalk, VCDS you can check in the section on the forums to find someone near that will maybe help you do the coding for a few beers.... hardest part is swapping them over..

Start with Eddie though

I have done a quick search but not been able to find anything.

My steering control module failed a few weeks ago disabling my horn and throwing an air bag light on. I have just replace the old unit 5K0-953-569C with a brand new dealer supplied unit 5K0-953-569-AL my horn works and the air bag light is off but now I don't have cruise control. SKODA have said they would need to diagnose it for around £45 per half an hour to see what the issue is.

Does anyone know if the CC needs to be recoded on to the new steering module? If so how do I do it, I have access to vcds via a friend.

Any help is much appreciated as I am off the Nurburgring end of next week and would like CC for the drive there and back

Pretty sure that module supports cruise. It may be a simple coding issue. Did the dealer fit it as if so they should have coded it?

• 4 weeks later...

Dreging this up.

Had a very strange quote from Incartec York.

Thought i'd check here for advice.

I have a 2008 CR Octavia. Its has the half size multi function display.

Is it possible to fit cruise and what would be a reasonable cost for fitting. Incartec wanted £500+ for some aftermarket bodge. I said about just changing stalk etc but they said it wasn't possible on this age model.

LMAO you get some right stupid answers and solutions when asking people like that!  :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a relatively new Skoda owner (well, not yet, just need to agree a price with my dad) and his old car is a proper base spec 2005 Ambiente - the only options are metallic paint and rear armrest.  I'd love to have cruise conrol fitted, but as I don't have an MFSW, I've probably not got the right module.  I'm in Birmingham but I have very little spare time.  How can I get my car scanned, and what will I need to fit?  I'm considering going up to an MFSW anyway.

his old car is a proper base spec 2005 Ambiente - the only options are metallic paint and rear armrest.  

Thats not base spec! Mine never had anything, no central locking no rear armrest no fuel computer a key locking fuel cap etc etc. If you want to just fit cruise control then a midline controller and stalk is what you will need (possibly also a single wire to ecu), If you are going to fit a MFSW later then you might as well just go to a highline controller now, you will also need the matching airbag slip ring, possibly the steering angle sensor, Just so you know with some lucky ebay searching and some patience you will be able to retrofit a lot to your car so don't let the base spec get you down. My list so far includes: Central Locking,Upgraded CCM, upgraded Can Gateway, Maxidot clocks, 3 new remote keys with immobiliser chips to replace the standard remoteless keys, MFSW, Cruise control, Columbus navigation, Jumbo Box armrest with working vents, Dual map lights, Headlight adjuster/ dash dimming switch, Glasses holder roof box, Xenons, LED sidelights, Dash Cam, 17" alloys and probably a few bits more I have forgotten. All fitted by myself with a lot of reading and annoying the guys on here.

You may find this handy:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions

• Thanks 1

OK, so not as poverty as I thought - it's got the rear vents, so I assume I've got the Jumbo box, as well as the dash dimmer & headlamp adjuster.  So it's wheel, highline controller, slip ring, maybe angle sensor and cruise lever.  I'm probably going to go for an aftermarket head unit of some kind - the cost of the OE parts I'd need (even second hand) soon adds up to more than a Kenwood DRX525DAB anyway.  Thanks very much for the help!!

Apologies for the double-post.  I've learned that a colleague of mine has VAGCOM - can that do the steering wheel module coding that's needed for MFSW and Cruise Control?

Apologies for the double-post.  I've learned that a colleague of mine has VAGCOM - can that do the steering wheel module coding that's needed for MFSW and Cruise Control?

It can indeed

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Well what a good post about cruise control. I am going to do this retrofit shortly for my 3 annual trips to the Isle of Lewis.I recently bought a Octy 1.6tdi on a 62 plate.As cash very tight,wasnt going to buy a car but this was a bargain, I need to do it myself or with slight assistance to keep costs low.

I could do with idiots guide instructions as someone mentioned a pdf on here as I,m worried about the airbag issue and the actual removal of the stalk.However first things first I suppose is the actual part. I have seen a few stalks on ebay on part number 1kO953513A. Before I actually bid or buy one do you guys think this will be okay for my car.

If anyone has good instructions and recoding info that would be great. I think I can get access to vcds as I work for a commercial vehicle dealer but if not may ask for assistance on here. I definitely need cruise control as 2 speeding fines now clear but with the police in Scotland having not a lot to do on the clear expansive motorways and A9 its a must for me.

Cheers guys

David

You need to be a 100% sure before you buy any parts.

The Octavia Mk2 used three different types of stalks

2004 - 2010 uses a single stalk 2009 - 2010 can only use a G version stalk

2010 - 2013 the type you have fitted needs to be checked as there is a 5K0953549 Controller type and a 5k0953569 Controller. The parts program will state that the car needs to be plugged in to the diagnostics to identify which is fitted.

It is important if buying a 569 version that you don't buy a Passat version as that will cause some issues

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys. Looks like its a little bit more complicated than I thought and really scuppers my task of getting this fitted for a reasonable price if I have to go to a main dealer etc. Will just have to watch my speed on the long journeys unless I find a dealer with a good supply and fit offer.

Pity though as I really think cruise control is a must on long trips,Cheers anyway.David

looking for some advice on coding cruise control with VCDS. 

Like DJ53 I have a 12 Plate 1.6 TDI.  I changed the controller - prompted by an airbag/horn dash warning light - making me think it was the steering wheel squib. So warning light gone and horn making a sound (which it wasn't previously). 

Anyway I replaced the module and the stalks with a stalk that has cruise control. Wipers/lights working, but I can't seem to activate cruise control with VCDS.

I borrowed a mates vag com cable, but coding option II is greyed out and there is no cruise control option under the long coding helper. So I'm unsure what to do. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. 

It's a 5k0953569 Controller - the same type as it replaced. According to Rosstech it is cruise control compatible.

Fair enough. You need to change the coding in the engine controller as well as the steering controller.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1