Numberplate holes !

sparky2

:thumbdown: Just taken my rear numberplate off and found the dealers had NOT used the proper hole for mounting the numberplate, they have just drilled through and fitted self tappers and so causing possable rust spots in a few years time and probably vioding my paint warrenty ! :swear: so I have taken out the ordinary screws and fitted stainless steel and put some copper grease in the holes to try and stop the rust, So be warned ! see pics -

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4040.jpg

They did the same on mine, but thankfully only on the front plastic bumper. Still you'd think they'd be more diligent.

I agree, take photos and send to SUK. Ask for their intended course of action to remedy the situation, in writing.

Agree.

You'd expect that from a back street 2nd hand car salesman - not from a dealership

I had mine off other day. luckly my rear is sitll intact and using the origional plastic style screws

But front has 3 sets of holes :( and using metal screws

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Mine are stuck on, or held in place by mud.

Hard to tell ATM.

Possibly self adhesive,double sided tabs

Get them to sort it, that's atrocious. I'd go mental personally. Totally unnecessary, even using the std screw positions is bad enough - I'd want them stuck on.

Drilling through the metal of a boot lid - I can't even believe I've just seen that.

• 8 months later...

Mine was done into the pre made holes in boot hatch but front straight into the plastic I had to change my plates 3 days after getting car and was not surprised as I used to work in a dealers that did this very thing to ALL new cars inc 65K Range Rovers !!!! shocked me and I was expected to do it drilled prob 200 cars in the short time I worked there for PDI's all BRAND NEW :'( the dealers owners had a thing about it and refused to let us stick on ...... DISGUSTING

Deargoodness,quite worrying that someone thought that'd be a good idea.

Replaced my front numberplate screws today as theyve rusted and leaked all down the plate, think a new set is in order too.

When I was at a Toyota dealership we had a number plate with all holes drilled in the right locations for the various models.

Didn't take long to do and made fitting new plates a lot quicker and neater.

I use to be a mechanic at a Vauxhall dealer and are MD had a big thing about the screws had to go in a certain place and couldn't go through the numbers/letters so we had to drill everyone. Nowadays they don't do it but Ive seen a few older cars running round with there plates on with rust coming from behind the rear plate!

• 2 weeks later...

That is :swear: shoddy!!!! All the cars I've had the only time that the provided holes have not been used is on the black plastic front bumper surround!! I just refix mine with plainer made up plates (no dealer name!) and use stainless self taping screws on front, and stainless hex cap bolts on the rear! B)

This just highlights how carp some dealers are, over on the Octavia mkII forum a guy with a 57 plate vRS has been told by the dealer he got the car from that he doesn't need the timing belt changed as he has a chain in his??????? :o

This just highlights how carp some dealers are, over on the Octavia mkII forum a guy with a 57 plate vRS has been told by the dealer he got the car from that he doesn't need the timing belt changed as he has a chain in his??????? :o

This is why when people say "you must enjoy working on cars" No I don't!!!! I just see no point if I can help it, in paying a thick shat my hard earned to F**K a job up!! B)

This is why when people say "you must enjoy working on cars" No I don't!!!! I just see no point if I can help it, in paying a thick shat my hard earned to F**K a job up!! B)

Touché. :thumbup: