Window auto close with rain

I have a 2010 Octavia Scout with rain senser set on stalk and if I leave a window open I thought it should close automatically if it rained.I have tested it several times with water and it does not work. Does this feature have to be enabled by the dealer or what?.The windows auto close with door opener , and rain sense works with wipers . Does any other Scout owner have his problem.

Comments please, Thanks

Edited by BOBW

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2010 Octavia Scout with rain senser set on stalk and if I leave a window open I thought it should close automatically if it rained.I have tested it several times with water and it does not work. Does this feature have to be enabled by the dealer or what?.The windows auto close with door opener , and rain sense works with wipers . Does any other Scout owner have his problem.

Comments please, Thanks

I would have thought rain senser was for the wipers!

G

I have rain sensors on my Elegance hatch and it closes the windows for me if it rains (I've tested it), though not sure whether it's a maxidot option to set. Try having a look around in convenience settings if you have maxidot.

Edited by Staedtler

The sensor is for the wipers, and I think the auto lights sensor is there too if you have that. Since the sensor is already fitted and plugged into the same computer as runs the rest of the car it is only a matter of a few lines of code in the car software to make this work. My 55 reg car doesn't do this either and I can't find the VAGcom setting for it either (No Maxidot on my car, but I have the auto wipers).

The sensor is for the wipers, and I think the auto lights sensor is there too if you have that. Since the sensor is already fitted and plugged into the same computer as runs the rest of the car it is only a matter of a few lines of code in the car software to make this work. My 55 reg car doesn't do this either and I can't find the VAGcom setting for it either (No Maxidot on my car, but I have the auto wipers).

If it is just missing code I can't understand why any manufacturer would not put the code in before shipping, if all the hardware is already fitted to the car. But Skoda does seem to have some strange ways of supplying features, I have noticed. I do not have maxidot either.

Thanks for the comments

Bob Wilson

If it is just missing code I can't understand why any manufacturer would not put the code in before shipping, if all the hardware is already fitted to the car. But Skoda does seem to have some strange ways of supplying features, I have noticed. I do not have maxidot either.

It's not actually missing code Bob - more an option that you haven't enabled. Unfortunately since you don't have maxidot then I think that the only way to activate it is with either VCDS or a visit to a dealer. :thumbup:

it wasnt available on the convenience unit at this reg. I used to have a 55 L&K which also didnt do it. I think it only became availble in the maxidot as an option after 2006.

It's not actually missing code Bob - more an option that you haven't enabled. Unfortunately since you don't have maxidot then I think that the only way to activate it is with either VCDS or a visit to a dealer. :thumbup:

As you say John, the code is not missing, but it may as well be since, I do not have any means of set it on or off. If a function is fitted physically on a car then the owner should be able to set it on / off in a user friendly manner. Buying a maxidot or VCDS or having to pay a visit to a dealer (which could be 50miles away) is not not user friendly.

As well as RAIN CLOSING there is also a problem with DOOR OPEN,ATA confirm, and WINDOW OP. I do not have a big problem with any of thes items , but it seems like bad design for standard features to me.

Bob Wilson

If anyone is North-West based and would like it enabled and doesn't have Maxidot, then get in touch and we'll sort something out :)

On the issue of available options, I found that on my old Octy2 vRS (May 06) with Maxidot that some options only appeared once they were enabled first time in VAG-COM/VCDS. Welcome/leaving lights springs to mind. It wasn't in the menu to start with, then when I enabled it in VCDS, the option appeared in Maxidot :) So it might not be a clear-cut issue with the revision of the convenience module for people. Worth checking anyway.

Cheers,

Steve

I tried this also on my L&K, the first time it worked a treat but when i tried it subsequently nothing happened so i think that the type of "rain" you splash on the windscreen also makes a difference.

Ian.

As you say John, the code is not missing, but it may as well be since, I do not have any means of set it on or off. If a function is fitted physically on a car then the owner should be able to set it on / off in a user friendly manner. Buying a maxidot or VCDS or having to pay a visit to a dealer (which could be 50miles away) is not not user friendly.

As well as RAIN CLOSING there is also a problem with DOOR OPEN,ATA confirm, and WINDOW OP. I do not have a big problem with any of thes items , but it seems like bad design for standard features to me.

Bob Wilson

But by the same token you do have an issue by enabling everything that's possible for the car to do. An example would be one-door unlock or the alarm beep for arm/disarm. Everyone won't want the same settings. Should all these options be easily configurable? Yes, probably. But at the same time I don't really think it's practicable to have ALL of these settings within the Maxidot menu structure. I'd expect you'd then get owners complaining that it's over-complicated and that there are too many options in there! It would become like BMW iDrive I think - and as someone who's used that, I certainly don't want to head down that route!

The saying of 'you can't please everyone, all of the time' springs to mind :)

I tried this also on my L&K, the first time it worked a treat but when i tried it subsequently nothing happened so i think that the type of "rain" you splash on the windscreen also makes a difference.

Ian.

Indeed, I think it's what type of precipitation is programmed to deal with. I tested this on my Mum's Micra (which bizarrely has auto wipers and keyless entry!) and I saw that if I chucked a whole bucket of water on the screen the system wasn't as interested and didn't speed the wipers up as much, compared with a constant light spraying from a plant mister, for example.

Indeed, I think it's what type of precipitation is programmed to deal with. I tested this on my Mum's Micra (which bizarrely has auto wipers and keyless entry!) and I saw that if I chucked a whole bucket of water on the screen the system wasn't as interested and didn't speed the wipers up as much, compared with a constant light spraying from a plant mister, for example.

"Plant Mister" that was the description I was after, not "Flower Spray" thingy !!

Thanks Wardy

• 11 months later...

Dredging up an old thread - I am sure the rain closure has been enabled on mine via VCDS and it didn't shut the windows today when it started raining. I am going to check the coding tonight.

I have a 2006MY 55 Plate L&K, I can open and close all the windows with the remote so is there anything else I need to enable with VCDS?

Just for clarity, does this work when parked up, or only when the ignition is on?

Will work regardless of ignition state Andy.

An L&K should have this working, but perhaps its convenience module revisions at work again here! Just check your VCDS coding again, in 09 and 46. Also check the label file version for 46 on a scan too.

Mine is

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 1K0-959-433-MIN.clb

Mike's worked out that it should be the 'max' .lbl file you need, and that this version has more configurable options on it. As both of us have tried it (with factory rain sensors on the Elegance) and can't get the coding to work. We think this is due to a lower convenience module, as our label files are 'min' labelled.

Will work regardless of ignition state Andy.

An L&K should have this working, but perhaps its convenience module revisions at work again here! Just check your VCDS coding again, in 09 and 46. Also check the label file version for 46 on a scan too.

Mine is

Address 46: Central Conv. Labels: 1K0-959-433-MIN.clb

Mike's worked out that it should be the 'max' .lbl file you need, and that this version has more configurable options on it. As both of us have tried it (with factory rain sensors on the Elegance) and can't get the coding to work. We think this is due to a lower convenience module, as our label files are 'min' labelled.

Mike seems to think I have a max, but I am not convinced. Will do a scan and see - maybe I should save a scan every now and then LOL

Save all scans. Well if you're like me. I find them invaluable for stuff like this, and comparing previous coding and such like.

Useful to compare info on previous Skodas you've owned too :)

But yes, my info is that an L&K should have the max controller. So you can be the guinea pig for this line of thinking/logic. Just make sure the coding is sound and see if the theory checks out emoticon-0148-yes.gif