Fastest cars you've driven?

Mil

I remember the first time I drove my parents Mk1 Octy 1.9 TDI 110 thinking it was an animal. How times change :giggle:

it was a bit like my swapping from my (at the time) 2A Light-Weight (bog stock 2 & 1/4 petrol) to a 110Tdi in 1997

That was a mind-altering experience for someone who'd only driven various old Landies at that time, had driven Range Rovers (both proper ones & P38's)

If anyone knows the road out of Halifax, up to the M62 at Ainley Top (jct 24), cresting the hill - under the M/way @ 75MPH (pre-camera) was awesome (compared to barely 40 in the 2A)

it was a bit like my swapping from my (at the time) 2A Light-Weight (bog stock 2 & 1/4 petrol) to a 110Tdi in 1997

That was a mind-altering experience for someone who'd only driven various old Landies at that time, had driven Range Rovers (both proper ones & P38's)

If anyone knows the road out of Halifax, up to the M62 at Ainley Top (jct 24), cresting the hill - under the M/way @ 75MPH (pre-camera) was awesome (compared to barely 40 in the 2A)

I once drove under the mousehole at an indicated 110mph in my Citroen CX GTI Turbo, now that was scary, and that, ( 25 years ago ) was a VERY fast car, I maxed it one day going towards Ripponden showing approaching 150, although its' top speed was supposed to be 136, it definately wouldn't go any faster...

The fastest I have driven is 96mph in a Van Hool Scania with a broken speed limiter, and 48 scared passengers, ask the nice policeman........

• Like 1

1 - Lambo Gallardo V10, awesome car, one day I will have one........

2 - BMW Z4 3.0i, mine, love it. BMW straight 6 takes some beating for an all rounder.

3 - Any of the crappy 1.4 litre hire cars work keep getting me. They all seem to go faster than you'd ever think possible if treated correctly.....

B in Laws XKR

Very fast....but he drives it like its got a Micra engine!!

Same shape as ours was.

Just a shame they sound so.... 'subtle'.. the new models do sound far better!!

Not sure the thought of 8mpg from a full tank nailing it everywhere would fill me with joy if I owned it! :giggle:

8MPG when 'nailing it'??? He was lucky, or light footed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've seen 2MPG from a standing start, when in the wrong lane & needing to get back ahead of traffic :giggle:

Edited by Richard A Thackeray

8MPG when 'nailing it'??? He was lucky, or light footed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We've seen 2MPG from a standing start, when in the wrong lane & needing to get back ahead of traffic :giggle:

Wut. o_0

Just knocked that off my 'cars to own on a budget' list..! :D

Oh, and I can now add Porsche Cayman & Formula Renault to my list... preferred the single seater... :giggle:

Not sure the thought of 8mpg from a full tank nailing it everywhere would fill me with joy if I owned it! :giggle:

Dont get a 350 Zed twin Turbo. I did a track day & managed to use a tank at an average of 5.4 mpg.

Thankfully day to day with a light foot its a lot better, Ive seen close to 30 on a run, general average around 20

Edited by Stuart_J

1) TVR Griffith 500 (borrowed bosses)

2) Honda S2000 - mine, really loved that car

3) Lotus Elise - weekend long test drive, too impractical but an absolute riot

4) Nissan 350z - weekend long test drive, tempting but not enough to shell out for

5) MarkII Audi TT roadster 2.0TSI - nice car but sa bit soulless - didn't look back when we p'exed it

My uncle's DeLorean. I got it up to 88.8 m/h, then the Flux capacitor kicked in, taking it up to 299,792, 458 m/s. Gotta say, I was glad I was on the M25 at 3am at the time, the Clacket Lane services toilets are horrendous when you're bursting any earlier in the day.

• Like 1

Wut. o_0

Just knocked that off my 'cars to own on a budget' list..! :D

Oh, & tyre-smoke even with traction control firmly ON was certainly seen!!!!!!

Driven carefully, it could have had a Nissan Micra engine under that long bonnet, just like Chris Rs's brother-in-laws!! (we've seen 29MPG average coming back from Cardiff in it)

My uncle's DeLorean. I got it up to 88.8 m/h, then the Flux capacitor kicked in, taking it up to 299,792, 458 m/s. Gotta say, I was glad I was on the M25 at 3am at the time, the Clacket Lane services toilets are horrendous when you're bursting any earlier in the day.

*Clackett.

For the love of God... :giggle:

Richard- not bad at all! Maybe... just maybe... :D

Dodge ram with V12 lump- picked it up for a car dealer friend and used it for an afternoon, filled it up twice!!!

My mates 570bhp evo5 drag car:))

My mk1 golf with fully worked G60. "only" 236bhp but So scary to have that power in FWD.

Can't say I've driven many fast cars but I've had a passenger ride in a few :)

Fastest I've driven is my Fabia or my Dads mondeo ST :) I do also have a GSXR 600 though!

Few of the cars I've been in :-

TVR Chrimera

Porsche careera 4

2 x Supra TT

Mitsubishi GTO TT

Caterham R500

Lambo Gallardo on a track day got upto 140mph before the corner started approaching exceedingly fast !!!!

Maxed my old Fiesta XR2i out back in the day, bang on 120mph at 6000rpm ! Damn I loved that car !

• 3 weeks later...

Also driven a Saab 9-5 Aero, that thing was just daft. Just seemed to spin away all the power through the front wheels. But it made up for it when you *eventually* got it pointing in a straight line.... :eek:

Nice to see an Aero get a mention B) My last car was a 9-5 HOT Aero and is undoubtedly the fastest car I've ever owned. Not the kind of car you'd associate with the pick up of a scolded cat, but it surprised quite a few 'fast' cars.

I've not driven any huge Bhp cars, but I'd say the fastest was probably the XKR owned by Mr Kent and Sussex Vending. One of the few cars I've backed off of the throttle once it was on full song as I realised it was going to quickly exceed my driving ability!

Gaz

Worked in the motor trade delivering cars when I was younger, (ok a lot younger :giggle: ... sigh).

1. Ferrari Dino.

2. Aston Martin DBS.

3. E-Type Jag.

Also,

BMW 330

Subaru Impreza WRX STi

Golf R32

3.0 Capri

VRS's all models Except mk2 Fabia

Porsche Boxster and 911

Isuzu Piazza Turbo

A much modified left hand drive Bedford CF (used to leave MGB GT's for dead in a straight line, was an absolute hoot to drive 'cos you could see the driver of the other cars face as he got left for dead at the traffic light GP. WTF! was the most common reaction)

Vauxhall Droop Snoot Firenza,

to name just a few of the more memorable ones and not just because they were fast or particularly good handling, they were all special for the memories that they provided. (Good and bad, but mostly good).

In a straight line though there wasn't much to beat any big motorbike, as long as you could keep the front wheel down or ride out the wheely through the gears. My favourite being my Honda VFR 800i.

0-60 in 2-3 seconds depending on the bike, for around £2 - 3K, you had to spend big time to match that, in a car.

Edited by Coffin Dodger