Michelins life...

I've got ~18500 miles out of the original front Michelins fitted to the Fabia vRS with the tread wear indicators now visible, so around 3mm left (loads of tread on the back of course)

Is this good, bad or indifferent?

Anyway, time to browse on here for what tyres to put on the front of the Fabia vRS, I can't say I don't like the Michelins, but then I don't think of myself as an 'advanced' driver, just want to 'point and go' and get reasonable return for my money - so any thoughts as to what to use appriciated.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experiance Michelin's tend to be a very hard, hence long lasting, tyre.

With tyres it's a trade off between long life and lesser grip or sticky and soft.

I'm a fan of Goodyear Eagle F1's or Yokohama's.

As everything, budget plays a part in your selection, there are some very good tyres out there - some more expensive than others.

Try http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

or

www.blackcircles.co.uk

In my experiance Michelin's tend to be a very hard' date=' hence long lasting, tyre.

With tyres it's a trade off between long life and lesser grip or sticky and soft.

I'm a fan of Goodyear Eagle F1's or Yokohama's.

As everything, budget plays a part in your selection, there are some very good tyres out there - some more expensive than others.

Try http://www.mytyres.co.uk/start.html

or

www.blackcircles.co.uk

:iagree: Goodyear are very good have them on our mondeo and the wet and dry isn't much different but then it doesn't have the go that the Furby has

16,500 on my Primacys and fronts are not yet down to the wear indicators. I'm thinking of Contis next time 'cos I'm told they're quieter. The Michelins create far too much road noise IMHO.

I personally don't like Continental tyres, again a little hard wearing which results in less grip. I've seen some Furby's with Conti's on. Superted has them on his.

My mich's lasted about 22k, very good, i find the grip fine, but then can't really cpompare, agree with the road noise but loads of cars are louder on certain (concrete) roads, can't really notice that much difference.

Stuck with originals cause they must be there for a reason, and wanted to keep tyres same all round.

I'd imagine the Michelins are a decent compromise between grip and endurance as well as price. As the car is not marketed as the hottest hatch in the universe there isn't much point slapping very grippy tyres on which only do 5k (a little extreme as an example).

For some here the endurance & price really is more important than for others. I'd personally imagine if you got it remapped or tuned in other ways, the grip may matter more to you than the price per mile, but hey, at least you can choose :D

I've had my VRS a week now, and have covered 550 miles. I would not fit Michelins again.

They are the noisiest tyres I've ever had on a car. They may last well though, which means I'll just have to put up with the noise for a long long time!!

I thought I'd read on here that Skoda had dropped Michelin on the VRS. Mine has them, and it's an '05 car??

Regards

They are the noisiest tyres I've ever had on a car.

I didn't notice them as being particularly noisy, must just mean my previous car was noisier! I've got a feeling that I read somewhere that the Michelins are 20% (or something) quieter.

I put Goodyear Eagle F1's on mine, and apart from the balancing problems kwik fit seem to be having the grip on them was superb, even in the wet it was hard to make them lose traction. I did notice they were slightly more noisy than the Michelins when I had them on the front though. Stereos usually on though so doesnt really bother me.

I've swapped my tyres around from front to rear and they are all ok (although I doubt I'll get much more out of them). My Fabia has done just under 33k and I'm tempted to get a set of Bridgestone Turanza's.

Whats your view on Bridgestone tyres?

To be honest, I've found the Michelins to be ok, just occasionally (in the wet) have I noticed that the car wanted to slide, but in wet conditions I wouldn't really want to fly round bends etc, or maybe I'm just losing my nerve!!??

When I was getting my car serviced last weekend at Rainworths, they had 2 unregistered Fabia vRS's round the back and they both had Continental SportContact II's on.

They look like they'll be much better than the Michellin's, as they're the type fitted to some Porsches!

Is it me, or are 205/45/16's a bit of an odd size? They're proper expensive!

I was tempted to go for 215/40/16's as they are more common and a lot cheaper (and only something like 2% difference in rolling radius).

The Kumhos (although tall-looking compared to the Michellins due to their squarer design) seem to be a good compromise between grip and cost.

We'll see how long they last over the next few months!

• 2 weeks later...