Tyre Wear!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My SC2 170TDi has done 50.000 Km (about 31.000 miles)

I´m still on my first set of summer tyres which has been used for 20.000 miles or so. The fronts are about 2,5 mm but the rears are 4-5mm - so they might do most of a summer season (20.000 miles)

They are Conti SC3 225/40x18

• 11 months later...

Interesting topic

Local dealer ( Celtic tyres ) states that most brands will only do 12 to 16 k on a 4x4 V6

This makes you wonder why tyre dealers in the USA offer tread wear warranties

http://michelinman.com/mediabin/Approved/Michelin/Visuals/Digital/limited_mileage_warranties.pdf

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/services/tire-warranty

The URL is just an example.

What is so different betwen European and US tyres ?

Curious

We have had the same issue i set my tyre pressures to the lower unladen figure even when laden and use it as a guideline , if you exceed this lower figure the centre of the tyre will wear very quickly

You also cant trust the TPM , they work well for rapid deflations but i've seen 4-6psi difference from one tyre to another and its not picked it up

We have had two full sets of tyres fitted from the Contis at first , then Goodyear Eagle F1's (awesome) , now Goodyear Assy 2's front and 3's rear (also awesome but 3's are better than 2's)

I think the latest Superb Elegance have 18" conti 2, and they do have a reputation for high wear.Does anyone know if the Superb SE with 17" tyres are Coti 2, or Dunlop sport 01. I have Dunlop sport 01 on my Octavia 1.8tsi Scout, now 16k miles with 4mm left.

My Front Conti-Sport 2's are now at 16k and are nearly down to the bars, but evenly worn running at 35psi. Will try the Sport-3's next

My 1.6CR twindoor turned 18k miles yesterday, still on original Conti's

Front are pretty near to the wear indicator so I expect them to be changed in next 2-3 weeks. Rears are almost as new.

As an aside I gave the car a good wash and polish ( snow foam, rinse, 2BM handwash, rinse, dry, wash and gloss wit Autoglym) looks like new again and I didn't even cry when it rained- sight of beading water on bonnet was evidence of my hard work

Like others nearly 12 months down and no problems to report

• 3 weeks later...

P7's fitted to my dsg 140se returned 16k front, 26k rear. Very hard tyre though, and extremely skittish in the wet.

Used as taxi from new, so very happy with tyre wear.

However, have since fitted uniroyal rainsport 2's to front, in an endeavour to stop sliding about and wheel spinning in greasy conditions.

Will report back with mileage in about 6 months.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xk2cha

I drive the Skoda very carefully yet my Conti 2s were illegal in the centres at 13,500kms aka 8,500mls. I used to get 20,000+mls from fronts in the UK on similar cars so this was not acceptable, except to the local Skoda dealer who told me it was normal, and who did not get the replacement work.

My last car was a diesel 4x4 VW Tiguan and did almost 30,000 before I changed them all (and I towed a caravan for over 4,000 of that 30,000). Now have a Superb Elegance 4x4 Twindoor (only done just over 300 miles so far) but I'll be really miffed if I have to buy new tyres as early as 15-20,000 miles.

Mine are Continental SC2 which I've never had before so we'll see!!!!!!

Just fitted a set of Evergreen 225/40/18 to my 170CR 4x4.

They come with a puncture warranty and were £330 fitted with valves and balancing.

They grip well and are quieter than the Contis which lasted only 18K miles.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

My 170 estate with DSG lasted 18500 miles on the front, backs still OK at 26,500. FYI, a friend with an A6 estate (same year, 177PS, DSG) complains of no traction, and replacing tyres every 12,500. Both cars had Michelins from new.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had my 30k 60 plate wheels aligned under warranty. Apparently all 4 wheels were way out, seriously way out, from the manufacturer. Tyres were suffering from ridiculously uneven wear. Feathering, cupping scrubbing, you name it, it had it!

Drove home today and immediately noticed a difference in lightness of steering, handling, and especially road noise.

Anyone with poor tyre wear, I seriously recommend getting 4 wheel laser tracked.

My 1.6CR twindoor turned 18k miles yesterday, still on original Conti's

Front are pretty near to the wear indicator so I expect them to be changed in next 2-3 weeks. Rears are almost as new.

As an aside I gave the car a good wash and polish ( snow foam, rinse, 2BM handwash, rinse, dry, wash and gloss wit Autoglym) looks like new again and I didn't even cry when it rained- sight of beading water on bonnet was evidence of my hard work

Like others nearly 12 months down and no problems to report

I'm quite surprised by your front tyre wear, as my OE Eco Conti's are at 6mm after almost 20k miles, whiles the rears are at 7mm.

The GL Combi has identical front and rear tyres pressures which makes it a doodle when checking pressures.

Had the fronts replaced on my Passat TDI last week at 17,000 miles. In places they were down to nothing. They were the OEM Factory fitted Conti's.

It's a lease car, and they were replaced by KwikFit (done by their modile service), who have the contract. Was talking to the guy about tyre wear as I figured he changes a lot of tyres for a living, and his advice would hopefully be impartial as he's not trying to sell me anything.

He said my 17K was pretty good, and 12K was more of an average for FWD diesels. He said he saw no real difference between any of the major brands in milage of the tyre but said that many considered Michelin to be the market leader in terms of stopping distances in the wet. Last time they fitted a Pirelli (puncture replacement), this time they fitted Michelin. These are 235/45/17's. My Octy has Dunlop 205/60/15's and looks like they should achieve similar milage (they've done ~12K and have a bit of wear left in them yet).

We drive very gently, for economy. Don't do any motorway driving, all A and B roads with some coutry lanes.

Feathering, cupping scrubbing, you name it, it had it!

Could you explain this please?

The front that just came off mine was worn more in the middle than the edges, yet when you looked across the profile of the tyre surface it appeared concave as if it were underinflated (no, it wasn't), so it was hard to see how the middle could have worn more than the edges - you'd expect the reverse. Is this "cupping"?

Almost deffo over inflation. Some tyres take over inflation better than others. Try to stay within 10% psi for the make/model of car.

Bear in mind that one garages pressure gauge may be up to 5 psi reading different to its neighbours.

Buy yourself a good gauge and don't rely on garage gauges.

Some people love the feel over overinflated tyres, but wonder why their car "steps out" on bumpy corners, suffer from poor mileage, break springs etc etc

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fquesk

Overinflated tyres can't give you poor mileage.

So far I'm not hearing anything good at all about conti sport contact 2's. Terrible life and poor grip in the cold or wet.

Do you get any tyre choices when you order a superb?

Overinflated tyres can't give you poor mileage.

So far I'm not hearing anything good at all about conti sport contact 2's. Terrible life and poor grip in the cold or wet.

Do you get any tyre choices when you order a superb?

I have never seen that available as the factory would simply put on what they felt was best for them (price and perormance in that order).