VAG 170 PS Diesel Injector Failures - VOSA action

Only just read this post and sent an email to Skoda UK customer services.

Received a reply this morning from Dan telling me to get my car booked in for the work. Once I have a date etc. he said to contact him directly so he can sort out what needs doing.

So far have to say I'm impressed and no trying to squirm out of it by Skoda UK - might be a different story at the stealers but will update.

Just out of interest is the work involved likely to effect my remap or should that all be left alone?

My PD Vrs is in next tuesday to see if the Injectors need replacing. Had a long chat with a chap from Skoda Customer services.

He was saying the fault has affected about 3000 cars and the fault was oil getting into the Injectors and sensors picking this up and turned them off.

True or not I don't know but he was very helpfull. All dealers recieved an e-mail today about this and customers should be getting a letter from Skoda through the post, says my dealer

According to my dealer it only affects certain Engine codes around about 07/08 plate motors

Hope that Helps

that would add up, My Injector seals where knackered which resulted in Fuel filter being full of oil aswell

Had Skoda VRS Diesel estate from new registered Feb'07. Had numerous problems over the years normally preceded by intermittent failures and dealer incompetence. Having said that when it works well it's a delight to drive.

incorrectly fitted Turbo, Particulate filter, injectors on 2 separate occaisions, aircon compresser, new battery. good service history. it's a shame main dealer's mechanics are not allowed to use initiative as they have to follow Skoda mantra. If they dont they risk penalties.

i have had my share of engine management lights flashing, safe engine mode, poor performance. Mileage now 129,001

Apply to SUK to have your injectors changed and if you have the bills for the ones already changed they will be refunded , mileage doesnt matter .

Once it became clear via this thread that if failures were experienced SKODA would stump up for the bill, I finally decided to take my chances and buy my Octy 2 VRS PD, trading my mk 1 VRS in for a 57 plate 1 owner beauty at my local main dealer, Alex Lawrie Skoda Liverpool.

I must say that I'm delighted with the car and the service so far, not least as they called me early this week to say that there's a recall to check the injectors, and if my car has the affected parts they'll be replaced without question. Very happy with that. :)

Does this problem affect the CR engines too as they also use piezo injectors?

It's mentioned on the Honest John site about them failing on CR engines:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/octavia-2004/?section=bad

They also mention about HP pump failures, I found this thread which discusses it:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286380

Nope CR injectors don't live in oil like PD injectors

"The latest CR engines run very nicely and are smoother than the PDs (but without the "shove") but I am beginning to hear of far too many (piezo again) injector failures and HP pump failures. Best avoided for now unless under warranty. The beauty of the PD system is that the highly stressed pump plunger followers are oil rather than fuel lubricated. It makes a considerable difference."

According to this quote from Honest John, oil is a better lubricant for the injectors than fuel.

CR injectors don't have a " highly stressed pump plunger" ? They are fed by a rotary pump then injected by a solenoid/piezo controlled injector, via the ecu. PD injectors are a pump/injector in one,

Read the quote properly - The PD pump plunger followers are lubricated by oil.

He's dead right. Oil is a much better lubricant than fuel and CR pump plunger followers are lubricated in fuel. For a given loading, the CR system is likely to have a shorter life than the PD.

rotodiesel.

I had a letter from SUK this morning informing me of issues with injectors on PD engines and stating that they would be replaced FOC, mine was done 4 weeks ago but obviously their recording system is not very efficient, anyway it now looks like VAG are escalating it to an official recall .

Read the quote properly - The PD pump plunger followers are lubricated by oil.

He's dead right. Oil is a much better lubricant than fuel and CR pump plunger followers are lubricated in fuel. For a given loading, the CR system is likely to have a shorter life than the PD.

rotodiesel.

I have....

But the original question was; Will CR piezo injectors cause problems like PD piezo ones. The answer is no as oil can not leak onto the piezo stack and cause injector to shut down and the engine to cut out!

I had a letter from SUK this morning informing me of issues with injectors on PD engines and stating that they would be replaced FOC, mine was done 4 weeks ago but obviously their recording system is not very efficient, anyway it now looks like VAG are escalating it to an official recall .

My letter from SUK also arrived on the mat this morning at 08:00, rang dealer at 08:05 and car booked in for Wednesday this week for injectors to be replaced - great!

Thanks to all of you out there who kept this topic in the frame and finally got a result from Skoda.

My vRS is now back from dealer fitted with shiny new injectors and harness! It definitely feels different - much smoother and far better pickup. Luckily before taking it to have work done I reloaded standard mapping from my Bluefin just in case...... Worksheet shows recoding so waiting for SC to confirm if a Bluefin upgrade is needed before reloading my Bluefin remap.

Anyone got a copy of an email they sent to Skoda regarding this issue. Spoke to my local dealer today about this, and they are a bunch of useless ignorant ****s! (well known in these parts for being so).

I want to arrange for Skoda UK to put a rocket up their ass to sort out replacement injectors etc for me.

Thanks.

Anyone got a copy of an email they sent to Skoda regarding this issue. Spoke to my local dealer today about this, and they are a bunch of useless ignorant ****s! (well known in these parts for being so).

I want to arrange for Skoda UK to put a rocket up their ass to sort out replacement injectors etc for me.

Thanks.

Ring Skoda UK and ask to speak to Dan Latta, tell him about your dealer. Excellent service from this chap

08457 745745 Skoda Customer services

My vRS is now back from dealer fitted with shiny new injectors and harness! It definitely feels different - much smoother and far better pickup. Luckily before taking it to have work done I reloaded standard mapping from my Bluefin just in case...... Worksheet shows recoding so waiting for SC to confirm if a Bluefin upgrade is needed before reloading my Bluefin remap.

Triple s? Does that by chance feature on you number plate?

Thanks.

Yep, as above, you need to follow the procedure outlined in this thread.

That is ring Skoda UK (08457 745 745) and only involve your local dealer when instructed to do so by Skoda UK.

The problem is the dealers have to follow procedure, until recently that was to check the injector part numbers and report back to Skoda for approval to replace. Some delaers wanted to charge for this.

This issue in now an official recall so you can expect a letter in the post (assuming you are on the Skoda system as being the owner and haven't moved) and Skoda dealers should have been notified.

Edited by silver1011

Hello all,

My VRS at dealer today as glow plug warning light came on twice in recent days. They are not certain that injectors are the issue, but have informed me they will be fitting new injectors due to recall free of charge. Big relief as car has been running a little 'lumpy' and with warning light, i was fearing the worst. :yes:

DPF light came on today, 50miles done since new injectors fitted......it cleared okay once I went through procedure. Other niggle that has now appeared is a high and rough idle that's intermittent. Sits at 1000rpm and engine is 'bouncing'....never rid this before injectors were fitted.....

Any ideas, should I ship it straight back to Farmers Skoda or contact Skoda UK?

Sent a wee email to Skoda UK anyway to bitch about the service i've had from my local dealer, but i also mentioned the injector issue. A chap called me today and left a message. I have to call Skoda UK asap on Monday. Lets hope its good news on the injector front.

Just a pity i'll have to go back the d**khead dealers to get it done as they are the only one in NI :doh:

Edited by sdmegawuk

My Ocy'07 Mk2 VRS engine according to Skoda garage in Preston is a CR and not a PD as I thought! When it went in for it's annual service last Thursday they told me after I got it back that it needed a warranty recall for the piezo injectors, which came to a tidy sum courtesy of Skoda! After changing the injectors, pumps and harness the following morning the car wouldn't start, it very rarely failed to start before they did this work. Twice I turned it over and on the second attempt I had to put my foot on the accelerator to get it going! I took it back to the garage Weds and left it overnight with them as it was only in the morning that the starting problem occurred, during the day there was no problem. Hey presto they couldn't start it either and the diagnostic check showed new injector number 3 was faulty! So they replaced it with another at their cost. I tell you this story because it's obviously not just PD engines that are having this recall done as was the case with mine, a VRS CR 170bhp - a recall that I didn't know about until they'd actually done the work, hence which lead me to look at what I could find out about it on Briskoda and the potential hazard it could have caused. Miller: if you're quick about it taking your car back to the garage that did the recall is your best bet at getting it checked out/fixed at their cost. My garage told me that if I'd waited more than 3 months or so about my faulty injector they probably wouldn't have covered the cost of replacing it! At just 1DegC this morning my car started first time! Yipee, car back to normal...at the moment! :)

My Ocy'07 Mk2 VRS engine according to Skoda garage in Preston is a CR and not a PD as I thought!

I would take that with a pinch of salt TBH. The CR engine wasn't introduced until late 2008 surely? Have a look at the V5 logbook, if the engine number starts with a B its a PD, if it starts with a C its a CR.