VAG 170 PS Diesel Injector Failures - VOSA action

I didn't even bother contacting Skoda Uk or VOSA, I just emailed dennis horton in lincoln my concerns, received an email back saying "take the car in and we'll have a look". Took the car in and they had already ordered 4 injectors and the wiring loom and they replaced them there and then. Very happy about that. I'll echo what everyone else who has had them changed by saying the pick up is a lot smoother and it certainly pulls stronger now and my MPG has increased. My car is re-mapped as well and there were no issues with that either.

Denis Horton did mine too but after the recall notice. I've noticed it starts better in cold weather, pick up smoother but I think if anything my MPG has decreased.

Well now I am confused, I'd already done the checks and deduced it was a PD but now the garage report it as a CR even when I queried it with them! The Parkers website also says that both CR and PD engines were available in 2007 - so who are we to believe? But back to the point, I didn't use the car over the weekend, it stood on the drive in sub zero temp's and yep you guessed it, it didn't start first time this morning. Again it took a longer than normal 2nd turn of the key to get it going and it sounded very rough for about a minute but was fine when I drove off. I've been advised by the garage to drive it slower than normal for the 1st 150 miles to let the injectors bed-in and also it's apparently normal that the engine will consume more fuel during this time according to Skoda Preston, I noticed this quite dramatically last week getting about 150miles on just under half a tank! Is this bedding in true and would this have an effect on the starting and mpg? Or have I got another faulty injector? :-(

Edited by Skoda convert

Well, Skoda UK just gave me a call in reply to my email.

He was most concerned after my complaint and I've been told to do nothing and they have instructed the local dealer to contact me. He said the dealership has a procedure to follow under the 'RECALL'. Fingers crossed i get new injectors etc.

My case will be kept open until i'm satisfied (which i wont be until i get 4 inj and a loom lol)

Well now I am confused, I'd already done the checks and deduced it was a PD but now the garage report it as a CR even when I queried it with them! The Parkers website also says that both CR and PD engines were available in 2007 - so who are we to believe? But back to the point, I didn't use the car over the weekend, it stood on the drive in sub zero temp's and yep you guessed it, it didn't start first time this morning. Again it took a longer than normal 2nd turn of the key to get it going and it sounded very rough for about a minute but was fine when I drove off. I've been advised by the garage to drive it slower than normal for the 1st 150 miles to let the injectors bed-in and also it's apparently normal that the engine will consume more fuel during this time according to Skoda Preston, I noticed this quite dramatically last week getting about 150miles on just under half a tank! Is this bedding in true and would this have an effect on the starting and mpg? Or have I got another faulty injector? :-(

Post your engine code or a picture of your engine please

I didn't use the car over the weekend, it stood on the drive in sub zero temp's and yep you guessed it, it didn't start first time this morning. Again it took a longer than normal 2nd turn of the key to get it going and it sounded very rough for about a minute but was fine when I drove off.

Welcome to the club, there is a thread on this, poor cold starting on the PD170 vRS, it has nothing to do with the injectors incidentally so you won't see an improvement since they've been done.

I've been advised by the garage to drive it slower than normal for the 1st 150 miles to let the injectors bed-in and also it's apparently normal that the engine will consume more fuel during this time according to Skoda Preston, I noticed this quite dramatically last week getting about 150miles on just under half a tank! Is this bedding in true and would this have an effect on the starting and mpg? Or have I got another faulty injector? :-(

For the record I had my injectors replaced in October, no advice to drive steady and I saw an instant increase in MPG which I am still seeing today...

Welcome to the club, there is a thread on this, poor cold starting on the PD170 vRS, it has nothing to do with the injectors incidentally so you won't see an improvement since they've been done.

See here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/147233-cold-starting-issues-octavia-vrs-pd/

If you find a solution please let us know :thumbup:

See here:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/147233-cold-starting-issues-octavia-vrs-pd/

If you find a solution please let us know :thumbup:

Thanks for the link which I found very interesting, it tends to suggest my 'RocketShip' has succumbed to the inevitable doom of many other VRS's! I thought taking my car to a Skoda dealership I'd be getting a puka service not the opposite. Last year I took it to a local dealer (non-skoda) and it came back with no problems! I wish I'd taken it to the same one this year but then I suppose the only saving grace is I wouldn't have had the recall done which could obv been potentially more dangerous if the engine had cut out! Just beware "sdmegawuk" that having new injectors may not always be what you really wanted for Christmas despite them being free at £550!

Edited by Skoda convert

Haha, not a chance!

Is this a Skoda dealer!? :giggle:

Yeah, it is a Skoda Dealer and I asked them to double check and they confirmed it was a CR! I'll have a look at the log book again tonight for what it's worth!

Edited by Skoda convert

So is this now an official recall for this problem cos nobody from skoda has been in touch as yet and I have 08 pd 170 which I have had from new.

Yeah, it is a Skoda Dealer and I asked them to double check and they confirmed it was a CR! I'll have a look at the log book again tonight for what it's worth!

The engine number does begin with a B so I guess it's a PD and not a CR according to your formula which appears to question the Skoda dealership - hmmm. Although you say the cold start has nothing to do with the injectors, this doesn't appear to be so. My cold start problems only started happening after the dealer changed the injectors. 99% before this the car started 1st time in much colder weather than we've just had. So something has changed since they were fitted. This was proved by the dealer finding a fault with new injector No 3 last Thursday when they replaced it, by doing something about it they admit that that injector was causing the engine not to start. The day after it started 1st time, I'll be monitoring it over the next few days to see what happens and if it fails to start properly like it did this morning it'll be going back!

I'm not surprised in a way that Skoda haven't been in touch because there seems to be some cars which work fine after the replacement and others with this cold-start and low mpg problem. Something isn't right and I don't think they know what it is that's why some of us haven't got recall letters.

Edited by Skoda convert

Yep exactly the dealer are talking out of their A

That's worrying if the Skoda Dealer doesn't even know what model of engine it is! It's made me think twice about taking the car to them again. When in for service they pointed out split radial arm rubbers and rear suspension bump stop rubbers with an astronomical figure to replace them, now I wonder if they were just telling porkies! I know you can't always believe what garages say and this issue with the CR/PD mixup and the injector issue has just added weight to my decision that I'll prob get the work done at a local garage instead. Thanks to everyone for putting me straight! Incidently it was +5DegC this morning and car started 1st time!

any else experiencing weird Idling issues after the injectors were changed? Mine sometimes sits at 1000rpm and engine seems to bounce/buck.....it doesnt do it all the time, and i cant replicate any syptoms to induce it

Get it booked back in for a check.

I rang Skoda this morning to query my cold starting issues since the injectors were replaced, the guy let on that there have been some unusual symptoms reported but I didn't press him for detail.

Mines in tomorrow to be left with them overnight so that they can start it from cold.

Get it booked back in for a check.

I rang Skoda this morning to query my cold starting issues since the injectors were replaced, the guy let on that there have been some unusual symptoms reported but I didn't press him for detail.

Mines in tomorrow to be left with them overnight so that they can start it from cold.

Skoda UK or your dealer? I think ill give Dan a ring at SUK :thumbup:

I rang Skoda UK, asked for Dan but he was busy, got a guy called Craig instead.

He told me he'd speak with Dan but in the mean time to book it in to my local dealer and then call them back to let them know when and where it was booked into so that they can monitor their progress.

I'm dropping it off in the morning.

any else experiencing weird Idling issues after the injectors were changed? Mine sometimes sits at 1000rpm and engine seems to bounce/buck.....it doesnt do it all the time, and i cant replicate any syptoms to induce it

That's just the DPF regenerating, nothing to do with the injectors! Nothing to worry about

Edited by Legend

Mine's doing exactly the same thing, I did have the dpf light on, the day after the injectors were done, but I don't know if that was because I was in stop start traffic for a hour or so or if the dpf was playing up because the injectors had been just changed. Anyway I soon cleared the problem by going on the M69 and sitting at 60mph in 4th gear, light went off after about 5 mins.

I did have a new dpf sensor fitted last Jan because of dpf regen problems and never had a problem until I had my injectors replaced a couple of weeks ago, now it seems to be ticking over at 1000 rpm most of the time, even after my 20 mile each-way comute to work every day.

Had a phone call off skoda UK and told book car into local dealer,which I did and was told they need car for 2 days and they will take objectors out to check batch no on them as only certain numbers affected if it is mine they will be replaced ,has booked me a hire car for 2 days,so fair play to them up to now.....but we will see, have had no issues from new, hope I don't have any after they have messed with it.

Promised update on my experiences since the injector change last Wednesday [14/12]. I ran with the standard ECU mapping for 3 days / 150 miles of very mixed driving and car remained smooth and very responsive. No starting issues and fuel consumption was only marginally different, a little higher in traffic, slightly better in the 40 – 60 mph band and no noticeable change at typical motorway speeds.

Bluefin now re-installed and engine is still running like a sewing machine, flexibility seems even better. I need a few more miles to see what the fuel consumption figures show but initial indications are a slight improvement all round with Bluefin. For me the injector change has made a good car even better – long may it last!